SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Lost Volume Control

I recently upgraded our den system (where Sage lives) to a commercial ED plasma. This isn't the primary HT so just I used the already present floorstanders and a tube integrated amp for sound (no speakers on commercial panasonics). Unfortunately that amp isn't remote controllable. When I first configured Sage to stop using the 350 I used to have (finally I'm rid of the EOF bug), I also routed all of the other AV system audio through the PC and ran just the normal line out to the amp. After getting a good enough starting point volume on the amp manually I could adjust the volume up and down via the sage /system volume control.

However I'm running older video hardware (AMD sempron 3000+/1gig memory/NVIDIA FX 5200) on a dedicated box. Even though I was only scaling to 852x480 it was causing stutters and other problems. I was also getting periodic playback errors (varying between the reinstall directX and the other generic video playbackerror). As a possible solution I tried installing a trial of the NVIDIA PureVideo decoders. Unfortunately I soon found that I couldn't hear DVDs anymore (no dd decoding in sage via those drivers). After reverting back to the other drivers I've now lost volume control. What setting has changed and where do I unset it. I can see the volume bar go up and down, but the sage volume stays the same now unlike before. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Intervideo decoders but that didn't help. I also remove Intervideo and added powerDVD, but again that didn't help either.

This is very very close to being the last straw. I bought Sage because of the UI out via the 350, but then there were endless problems with that. I've also had a major ordeal every time I've reinstalled (version upgrades and periodic rebuilds). It came really close when I upgraded to 4.0 because I found that the files deployed to the common directory are different between client and normal sagetv. I was running the server and client on the same box (MVP client). It kept breaking the main install when I installed the client also untill I saw that the "COMMON" directory wasn't. Once I put the Client in a totally seperate directory with its own "COMMON" it was fine. However H(ousehold)AF has really plummeted lately because of the constant outages (viewing only - it still records fine) until I can get it to stop showing an error (often simply by changing from overlay to VRM9 or back).
Old 02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
What setting has changed and where do I unset it. I can see the volume bar go up and down, but the sage volume stays the same now unlike before.
Is there a system restore point just before the PureVideo installation? I have run into similar audio problems that I could easily recover from by using a restore point. IMO it sounds (no pun intended) that the issue is a result of the PureVideo installation and has nothing to do with SageTV.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
Is there a system restore point just before the PureVideo installation? I have run into similar audio problems that I could easily recover from by using a restore point. IMO it sounds (no pun intended) that the issue is a result of the PureVideo installation and has nothing to do with SageTV.
Sure its quite likely that the PureVideo drivers changed some system setting, but I only installed that because Sage had problems showing smooth video.

So is my video card/processor really that old that it couldn't show 852x480 without jerkiness? With the 350 on my old set it was pretty much just like a direct feed. Using the FX5200 it is clearly inferior. I guess I could find a 6600 somewhere cheap, but what concerns me is that if others are using that for HD without problems then I ought to be able to do ED out of the lesser card.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 AM

One extra piece I should add is that the system volume does change when the volume is adjusted in Sage. It also works just fine outside of Sage. Basically Sage isn't honoring the system volume anymore.

That sort of points back at Sage and not the NVIDIA drivers because its just this app that has the problem.

Jeremy
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Sage Icon

This is unrelated, but the topic fits my problem. I ran into 2 recordings today (in the past too but figured it was due to changes I'd made on the server and not restarted) where the volume control on the MVP had no effect on the sound level. The slider would go up/down/mute but the sound level never fluctuated. The other recordings I watched tonight worked normally. Has this happened to anyone else?

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Sage Icon

Unhappy is it just me?

Still having this problem on the MVP, but more frequently now. coax audio won't respond to the OSD volume slider or mute on some recordings and DVDs.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
I just saw this today when playing xvid encoded movies using Sage player and direct show player, but volume control for recordings worked fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

happened again on a converted HD show. started watching and the audio nearly knocked me off of the couch. had to turn down the surround volume to about 1/2 normal. no effect from MVP volume/mute.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Sage Icon

Having same issue as Kricker. MKV and MP4 files are not honoring the volume in Sage. All recordings are fine however...