SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Sage User

Slow tuning with USB-UIRT / DirecTV D11 receiver

I have just setup a new SageTV 4.1.3 box with a USB-UIRT (latest firmware and drivers) controlling a DirecTV D11 receiver. I have very slow performance when tuning the receiver through the USB-UIRT. When I select a channel through the guide, the screen blanks for a split-second but stays on the current channel for about 5 seconds, then finally changes to the desired channel. I notice that the USB-UIRT light blinks three times (for each digit of the channel I'm assuming) very quickly (within about 1 second), but then it still takes an additional 3-4 seconds for the receiver to actually tune.

Some of this lag may be attributed to the receiver since there is inherent latency in tuning through a satellite. However, when I change channels with the receiver's remote directly rather than through SageTV, it changes in about 2 seconds. So SageTV is basically adding 3 seconds to the time it takes to change channels, which is just enough to make it really annoying.

Things I have tried:

- adding "Enter" to end of 1st line on .IR file to send an Enter after the digits (didn't seem to make any difference)
- messed with remote control options on tuner setup (digits per channel = 3, delay between codes - didn't make a difference)

Any other ideas?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I could be wrong, but the attached file shows D10 and D11 respond to the same serial commands through the "low speed data port" . I use serial control for a D10 and it is MUCH faster than the USB-UIRT, and I get no errors like I was getting with IR control. Buy or make a cable to fit the D11 and try it. Search this forum for D10 serial control, you'll find a few ideas and sources for cables. Hope this helps!
Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf installers_help_d10.pdf (250.0 KB, 485 views)
Old 02-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

The D11 doesn't have a serial port, just usb. There are some people that claim to have Serial to usb converters working w/ serial control but certainly seems like more trouble then it's worth. If he makes a move to serial control it'd be much easier to get a couple D10-100s off ebay for $10-15...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

I didn't realize that. Page 10 lists compatible USB-Serial adapters, maybe it would work?
Rob
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
I didn't realize that. Page 10 lists compatible USB-Serial adapters, maybe it would work?
Rob
I would consider the USB-Serial very unproven. The cost of a USB-Serial adapter would basically cancel out the cost of a D10 which is proven to work very well. I do know that the one person that I know of that claims to have USB-Serial working was using MythTV and he did say that not all of the controls worked, in fact I think it may have even been just the numbers that did work.

He did spend a bunch on that USB-UIRT so it may be a bit too early to be tempting him from the dark side. I can't help with the USB-UIRT since I don't own one - I'm sold on serial control myself.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage User

I'll return the USB-UIRTs if I can't get them to work (or find someplace else for them), so no problem there...

So the consensus seems to be that tuning via serial control is faster than tuning via USB-UIRT. Can anyone give me quantifiable numbers to show this? I know for example that it takes me ~5 sec to tune a channel over the USB-UIRT. If the serial control can tune it in ~1-2 sec then I will definitely switch. If the serial control tunes in ~4 sec then I'll have to think about it.

If a buy a couple of D10s, can I use the same ID cards from the D11s in them or do I have to get new ones from DirecTV?

Also, if I buy a couple of D10s and use serial control, I assume I'll need two serial ports on my PC. I have only one (as do most PCs). What are people using to get the 2nd serial port on their PC cheaply? Do I have to buy a serial port PCI card or is there an alternative that can use a USB port?

Thanks all.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

dbfresh23- I didn't know D10 were so cheap. DTV installed 3 of them here with a DVR for the living room. I grabbed one of the D10's ( -100) for my office and Sage. I think your suggestion would probably work best for mattporco.

mattporco, My D10-100 changes channels through a serial cable in about 2 1/2 seconds. If you run "DirecTV Control.exe" (available somewhere here) you can eliminate the DTV channel banner, cause it looks sloppy with Sages's banner over it. Just get a cheap PCI serial card, and a couple of cables. I made one - cut down a RJ12? It actually is a RJ6 (telephone handset size). The other end is a DB9 to mate up with your serial port. Snapstream sells them, I don't think Sage does. The photo is from Snapstream. I am using a Hauppauge 45 button remote and a USB-UIRT, because I was controlling a DishNetwork box which didn't have serial control. When I switched to DTV, I just kept using the USB-UIRT cause it was easy and I like the blinking led thet acknowledges a keypress. You will like the serial control - no errors like I was plagued with using IR, and it's way faster.
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: gif snapstreamtest_1884_1604288.gif (10.8 KB, 284 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

One other thing I forgot, mattporco. If you buy a couple of D10-100's, you can use your existing access cards after a phone call to DTV to "marry" the cards to the new receivers. All they want is the room location and the make and serial # of the new receivers. They send down a signal while you're on the phone and activate the new setup. I did this on an old RCA (non DVR) that had a hard to find RF remote so my mother could change channels from her bedroom (receiver out was split to two TVs)
Rob