SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

XMLTV First Run/Rerun Utility

One of the first things I noticed when I switched over to XMLTV files was that a lot of shows that should have been re-runs were marked as first-runs. This was a MAJOR draw-back to using XMLTV files IMO.

It appears that the cause was due to the XMLTV data I was receiving from Zap2it. From what I can tell, a show is not considered a rerun in Sage unless it has the <previously shown> tag. Unfortunately, not all re-runs in the Zap2it data contained the <previously shown> tag, those same shows usually contain a <date> tag, which shows the original air-date.

To workaround this problem I created a script that reads the XMLTV file(s) and adds the <previously shown> tag to anything with an original airdate older than (x) amount of days, where "(x)" is configurable. Right now I have (x) set to 8 days, since repeat airings of first-runs usually occur within a week of each other.

I also have the script add the <previously shown> tag to shows that do not contain the <previously shown> tag, or the <date> tag since in my case older shows tend to not contain either. This may be a little aggressive depending on your data source, so I will probably make this configurable.

Let me know if this script is of interest to anyone, if it is I will post it.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Is this script for Zapit data or have you figured out the ShowID numbers created by Echostar & other birds ?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Lightbulb Please post

I have the exact same problem. A lot of the reality shows like Project Runway are aired multiple times during a week and they are all marked as first runs. Can you please post your script and a brief explanation as how to install/use it.

Thanks
Jack
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75
Is this script for Zapit data or have you figured out the ShowID numbers created by Echostar & other birds ?
This is for the Zap2it data since the EPG data I am extracting from MT does not really contain any series type shows so I don't even run it against the MT XML.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrojack
I have the exact same problem. A lot of the reality shows like Project Runway are aired multiple times during a week and they are all marked as first runs. Can you please post your script and a brief explanation as how to install/use it.

Thanks
Jack
I think you problem is a little different. If I am understanding you correctly, even after using my script, the shows would still be marked as first-runs because they still occur within 8 days of the original air-date. You could lower the 8 day setting in my script to 1 or 2 days, but that might cause recording conflicts.

You see if you have a show that airs for the first time on Monday, and repeats that episode 5 more times in the week, and you have a favorite setup for first-runs only, Sage will pick one of the 5 times to record, and disregard the rest due to identical show-ids. The advantage to leaving all 5 as first runs is that Sage can pick any of the 5 times in the event that another one of your favorites is aired at the same time on Monday as your first favorite. This helps avoid recording conflicts.

However, if a show is truly a rerun from a few weeks back, and it still shows as a first-run, then you need this script.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 PM

So where can i get the script?

Where is the script posted?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Here it is. As with my other scripts, you will need to download Kixtart from kixtart.org (it's free) to run this script. Just extract it into a folder like C:\kixtart and run the following command c:\kixtart\kix32 rerundetect.txt (assuming the script is in the c:\kixtart folder as well.).
I am trying to learn java scripting, but it may be awhile, sorry this is the best I can do right now.

Here is an example of the configurable settings copied from the top of the script:
Code:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;$XMLFile - Put the path and name of the XMLTV file you want to rerun detect. ;
;                                                                             ;
;$OutputFile - XML file that will be output with reruns marked by the script  ;
;$DaysBeforeRerun - Put the number of days after the original airdate before a;
;show should be considered a rerun.                                           ;
;$RerunIfNoAirDate - 1 to turn this on, marks shows with no airdate listed as ;
;reruns. O turns this off.                                                    ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
$XMLFile="C:\XMLTV\1.xml"
$OutputFile="C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\1.xml"
$DaysBeforeRerun=8
$RerunIfNoAirDate=1
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;No more configuration after this point;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Attached Files
File Type: txt rerundetect.txt (2.0 KB, 267 views)