SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

AC3 Filter, PureVideo, Digital Audio Volume

Is there a way to adjust the gain for AC3 filter so that 5.1 audio and 2 channel audio are both the same relative volume? It is insane how different they are from one another. If im watching a DVD or an HDTV recording from my Fusion5 and then switch back to an analog recording, my speakers and my wife nearly explode.

If there were a way to adjust the gain for my digital tuner, that might help, but from what I understand, since the broadcast is digital, the tuner is not encoding anything an just acts as a conduit to put the file to the hard drive. This wouldn't help the differences between dvd's and analog recordings either.

I have the Purevideo Platinum decoders, (which ever are supposed to do 5.1 decodeing for pc speakers) but when I specify nVidia as the audio decoder, I don't get any sound. So I have it set to default for recordings, and AC3 for DVD's. Any idea's? We watch a lot of movies so I'd like to keep my ears from bleeding any more.

We are running 5.1 pc speakers hooked up to an AC'97, we don't have a home theater tuner at the moment so S/PDIF is out for now.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hate to rehash, but I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

Anything OTA (via my HDTV Wonder) or using the nVidia Purevideo ouput is at a pleasing audio level. Switch channels to the DirecTV signal coming into the RCA inputs on my Hauppauge card and WHAH-BAM!!!!!!!!

I've tried every registry edit, every Hauppauge tweak tool -- nothing. I even went to Hauppauge tech support and regedited the heck out of things. The analog audio is just WAY TOOOOOO HOT in SageTV.

I can't find a setting in SageTV to adjust this. Please help.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Mine does this too. Funny how we always forget.
I emailed myself this link to try to fix the problem but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Is that what you tried, shawncochran?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic
Mine does this too. Funny how we always forget.
I emailed myself this link to try to fix the problem but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Is that what you tried, shawncochran?
I will try this tonight. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

I had the same issue...
The problem is that AC3filter is actually doing the Audio decoding most likely and not NVidia.

I had to close SageTV and then open an MPEG2 file in Windows Media Player and open the tools menu and select options. Click on the DVD tab and then click advanced. It should bring up the AC3 Filter settings. On the farthest right tab in their is a section where you setup what AC3 Filter handles. Deselect all of them and then on the right is a radio box that says something to the effect to prefer other decoders before ac3 filter. If clcik ok and and get out of all of that then exit window media player. Open it again and then go back to the DVD tab in options and click advance and now it should bring up the Nvidia Audio settings. When I made this change on my system the difference between DVD / HD audio and Analog became less dramtic. It is still different, but not scare the dog and make everyone jump different.

Hope this Helps,
John
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
I had the same issue...
The problem is that AC3filter is actually doing the Audio decoding most likely and not NVidia.
Not for me -- I've already selected "prefer other decoder" and anytime I use the OTA HDTV in SageTV or DVD playback, the nVidia decoder pops up in the task bar (just like it should) -- so AC3 Filter isn't the problem for me.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
I had the same issue...
I went the other way and selected Prefer AC3, I use ac3 for everything now, and the audio levels are much more normalized. I think I read that the full analog surround sound is only supported by Pure Video with certain media players. I.e. not neccessarily SageTV. Regardless, AC3 works so I'm happy, Ill probalby mess with this can o worms again when I get a digital link and a theater amp. For I'm just glad not to have to adjust the volume all the time.