SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Sage User

Corrupt MPEGs and Recording stuttering

Ever since I reloaded the software on my PVR and upgraded to SageTV 4.0, I've had the following problems develop... I'm thinking of just removing Sage, saving wiz.bin and reloading it, but will that help? Here's what's happening

* About every 1 of 15-20 recordings seems 'corrupt'. It plays fine, but when you try to FF, it jumps back to the beginning.
* I'm using the MultiDCTTuner DLL to change channels over serial, and every time it changes channels, whatever I'm watching stutters - any ideas on that?

None of this happened until I went to 4.0..

Also, if the 2nd issue is related to DCTTuner, what do you suggest? exetuner just seems too hackish for my use for some reason.....
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having similar problems. Some recordings are corrupted somehow where the fastforward and rewind keys jump the video to the beginning. Also, I have pixelation problems where portions of the image are very pixelated every few seconds. All of this started when I built a new system with Sage 4 and Vbox 150 tuners. Sage 2 never had this problem.

I thought maybe the incoming signal was bad until I caught one show having problems while it was being recorded. I could switch between the tv's digital tuner and the Sage system to see what was happening. The tv tuner did fine while the Sage system struggled with the image.

Steve
Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage User

I don't know what this update to 4.0 changed, but I'm thinking it's for the worse at this point. SageTV was working great until I upgraded it. I can live with the stuttering when it changes channels, but the broken videos are too much. I recorded Stargate SG-1 last night and it corrupted the early airing. I caught it and made it record the 2nd airing. I flipped through the 2nd while it was still recording and it looked fine. Went to bed and got up in the morning to watch it - IT'S CORRUPT! Gah..

I did have MythTV on this system for a while. It doesn't have intelligent recording and it's still a bit rough around the edges, but it NEVER corrupted a video and NEVER stuttered. Unless anyone has any thoughts on how to fix this, I'm switching back to Myth.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am having the same problem. corrupt files and stuttering. 4.1.6
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sage User

Just reinstalled everything including XP.. Latest drivers and software including SageTV 4.1. The only extre component I installed is the Sage webserver. We'll see how everything goes over the next few days.

HW Specs:
* Chaintech 7NIF2 (nForce2)
* Sempron 2200+
* 512MB RAM
* PVR-150 Retail
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Sage User

All, this is not a hardware problem - I have a setup of PVR-500 and an HD180 and this weekend the same things are happening as you all here describe, simply after a reboot of my Sage server. I deleted my wiz.bin file thinking that it was corrupted, rebuild that and this is still happening. I noticed that sage no uses 100% cpu when switching channels and when a client is connected to it. This would explain the stuttering issue. Please check your CPU utilization. I think we need to submit this as a bug - very annoying.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage User

Haven't had the issue reappear since the reinstall (removed any previous recordings and removed wiz.bin). Only running SageTV without service mode and the webserver.. No toher options. It tanked last night during a show (just quit) - WAF tanked at that point. I'll watch CPU usage and see what I can find when I get home today.

With the release of MythTV 0.19, this is almost making me want to switch. SageTV 2.x was really slick and worked well, but the 4.x series is pretty bad..
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

This issue and another has definitely proven to be close to a deal breaker. The WAF has gone to zero.

I ran a CPU test soon after the first corrupt file showed up. The totally unexpected part is the CPU dropped during the stuttering! Usage went from about 25 to 35% to below 10%.

On another note, I've started leaving my system on all day. The system now crashes sometime between watching shows one night and trying to watch shows the next night. I have to reboot the computer once or twice to get Sage working again. I'm starting another thread on this since there are other odd things that happen with this issue.

This system is dedicated to Sage. It consists of one computer with a minimum of other applications running: Sage, ZoneAlarm, Girder, and the Santa Cruz sound card software -- no antivirus or spyware detectors. The system is never used for email.

Help! My embarrassment level is high and WAF is low.

Steve
Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had a problem like this about a year ago on 2.2.8. It happened when I reinstalled the drivers for my hauppauge cards (2 250's and 1 150). I was getting random corrupt files which would delete themselves automatically. I wound up reinstalling the hauppauge drivers using a different version, and it was fixed. Hope this helps.