SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Sage User

sage.PlaybackException Error

Folks, About two days ago I started receiving the following error when trying to watch Live TV on the SageTV Client.

There was a Playback Error in playback. Details:
sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-3,0x80004005):
There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback.

Any clues where to start?

My server work fine. I just wanted to watch the Super Bowl!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've had similar problems, but not for a while. Are you running anything tricky, like dual monitors or something like that? I seem to remember having this trouble when I tried to use the wrong decoder on the secondary monitor. I think it turned out to be a problem with decoders/monitor setup, at least for me.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoutrouba
I've had similar problems, but not for a while. Are you running anything tricky, like dual monitors or something like that? I seem to remember having this trouble when I tried to use the wrong decoder on the secondary monitor. I think it turned out to be a problem with decoders/monitor setup, at least for me.
Thanks for the reply.

I really don't remember anything different, other than I incorporated a new firewall router into my environment; but I put the old one in place and had the same message.

I'll check the decoder, but it hasn't changed. I am using Hauppauge WinToGo FM, which has worked for the last month, but it's not supported. The error message refers to "accessing the filesystem for playback"...which filesystem, client or server.

Cheers!

Last edited by geekycamper; 02-06-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Sage User

I have the same behavoir on my 2.2.8 client. I used to just be able to change the vid decoder on the sage server to get the client workingbut that does not seem to work any more. If I ever come up with a soluion i will post back.

right now i am just mapping my sage servers drives and playing back via Windows Meda Player.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontabg
I have the same behavoir on my 2.2.8 client. I used to just be able to change the vid decoder on the sage server to get the client workingbut that does not seem to work any more. If I ever come up with a soluion i will post back.

right now i am just mapping my sage servers drives and playing back via Windows Meda Player.
The decoder on the server has nothing to do with playback on the client.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Sage Expert

Microsoft has several several pages that have "0x80004005" in it. Perhaps one of those might point you in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad30075
Folks, About two days ago I started receiving the following error when trying to watch Live TV on the SageTV Client.

Ok, I had this exact same error once or twice a day for 3-4 weeks. It was at the stage where I was exploring other options (BeyondTV, MCE etc.). Eventually I uninstalled the latest Java 1.5 Update 6, installed 1.4x and have not had a problem since. Could this be your issue?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad30075
I started receiving the following error when trying to watch Live TV on the SageTV Client.

Has anyone figured this out? I started getting it for the first time today right after I changed the video recording paths to UNC naming convention. I changed my server and all my clients stopped working.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Lightbulb

I fixed my issue. It was not a SageTV problem at all.

On my server, I had given my SageTV service account full control of my share, but in the share permissions themselves, I had given "Everyone" only read rights. So I added the SageTV service account to the share permissions and gave it all rights. This fixed my issue.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Sage User

How to give SageTV WHS Share rights

Quote:
So I added the SageTV service account to the share permissions and gave it all rights.
How do you do this?

I'm getting the sage.playbakcexception too on my Client install and not my HD200. On the WHS shares I have a "Guest" account with full read/write privileges. Do I actually have to create an account for the computer I am running SageTV Client on?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Sage User

In the installation instructions is states:
Quote:
Run Service as User: LocalSystem/UserName – By default, a service runs only on the local system, so it does not have access to any network drives. If you wish to have
SageTV access a drive on another computer on your network, you will have to select
Change User in order to enter the name of a user account on your computer and the
user’s password – the user account must have a password in order for the service to be
able to use that account. See below for details regarding accessing network drives while
using the service.
I have my SageTV service running on my WHS box. The Video share drive is where all DVD folders are stored and accessed. It is mapped to \\Sever\\Videos\\SageTV\\DVD.

The HD200 did fine with playback, but my Sage Client, running on my desktop upstairs ,keeps throwing the sage.playbackexception error whenever I try to play a video. It will do LiveTV fine.

I then tried running the SageTV Service with a username and used the user name (Administrator) and login for the Server. Still didn't work.

On my WHS box, If I go under shared folders, they are all "Full" access for all user names. I also enabled media sharing from the Settings menu in the console.

Do I need to create another username for the Server of "Administrator"?

I didn't think it would be hard for SageTV service to access the network shares since they are technically on the WHS box where the service is installed.

I'm sure I'm missing a step in trying to get the Client to read videos from the Shared folder. Incidentally, If I try to play a DVD stored locally on the Client PC, it works fine. I was trying to consolidate my DVD directory to a network share to save storage space and also keep the metadata/fanart cohesive.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm View Post
In the installation instructions is states:

I have my SageTV service running on my WHS box. The Video share drive is where all DVD folders are stored and accessed. It is mapped to \\Sever\\Videos\\SageTV\\DVD.

The HD200 did fine with playback, but my Sage Client, running on my desktop upstairs ,keeps throwing the sage.playbackexception error whenever I try to play a video. It will do LiveTV fine.

I then tried running the SageTV Service with a username and used the user name (Administrator) and login for the Server. Still didn't work.

On my WHS box, If I go under shared folders, they are all "Full" access for all user names. I also enabled media sharing from the Settings menu in the console.

Do I need to create another username for the Server of "Administrator"?

I didn't think it would be hard for SageTV service to access the network shares since they are technically on the WHS box where the service is installed.

I'm sure I'm missing a step in trying to get the Client to read videos from the Shared folder. Incidentally, If I try to play a DVD stored locally on the Client PC, it works fine. I was trying to consolidate my DVD directory to a network share to save storage space and also keep the metadata/fanart cohesive.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Simplest way to do this. There is already an Administrator account on your WHS box. Give it a password and use the Administrator ID with that password to start the service. Now create a user ID with the same name as the user on your SageTV client box. Give that ID permisions to the shares thru the WHS console. For any PC on your network either use the same ID all around or create the ID from each PC on the WHS box and give it permissions. You're running on a server OS and a network now, not just any old PC.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Sage User

Thanks Gerry. I'm on my work laptop right now and not at home to try it out on my home computer. This laptop is so strapped down by my work admins that I can't even tinker to try and figure this out.

Right now my Client box (kitchen desktop) does not have a login. Can I create user "Administrator" under Start->control panel->user accounts and NOT have to use a password? That computer is used by the family and it would be easier to not require a login.

I guess if that worked, I could also try just changing the current username to "Administrator". I haven't messed around with user accounts in a while.

Basically, do I have to have both a username AND password on the client box to qualify as a WHS user with full file sharing rights?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

By default WHS wants the user IDs to have a password. You can change that setting in the WHS console. Every Windows install creates an Administrator user and suggests to put in a password. During a Windows setup it asks you to create a user. As long as this is the only user and it doesn't have a password Windows will boot up as this user. You could create a user ID called SageTV with a password and set it to auto login as that user and password. This way your family doesn't have to log into Windows and SageTV should work on all your PCs. (At a cmd prompt type control userpasswords2 and uncheck the box that userts must enter a password.) Create the SageTV user with the same password on WHS and give it the permissions needed for the shares thru the WHS console.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Sage User

Banging head against wall

I'm starting to think my problem is not in my user name and shared permissions.

I have spent the last couple hours working on trying every iteration of usernames and shared permissions without any luck. I continue to get the "There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback" error when I try to watch a video.
  • I figured out that my username for my desktop is "Computer" (real original). I added that as a user in my WHS console and gave is full access to all shares.
  • No luck
  • I created a new user on my desktop named "SageTV" and again created a WHS console user with the same name, gave share permissions, no luck.
  • I right clicked on the shared video folder, selected security, and added my username of "Computer" to full access, no luck.

Then I wondered if I could access those shared files for playback from a program outside of SageTV Client.

I used VLC to try and see if I can read the DVD media from the shared folder and it worked perfectly. This is what makes me think I have a problem in the way SageTV is configured as opposed to a problem with username shared privileges.

I am running the SageTV service on the WHS as "Administrator" with the appropriate password. All users listed on WHS have full access to all folders.

Within the SageTV Client I went to Detailed Setup->General->Media Center Import Directories->Modify-> and \\SERVER\Videos\DVDs is listed along with the \\localhost... folders.

On the WHS Server, my sagetv.properties file has in it:
Code:
seeker/archive_directory=\\\\localhost\\Music,2;\\\\localhost\\Photos,4;\\\\localhost\\Videos,1;\\\\SERVER\\Videos\\DVDs,1;
The installation instructions note:
Quote:
Changing Property File Settings in Service Mode
When running SageTV in Service Mode, the SageTV Service uses Sage.properties for its
properties, while the SageTV UI uses SageClient.properties.
When not using the Service Mode, the SageTV UI will get its settings from Sage.properties.
I tried adding \\\\SERVER\\Videos\\DVDs,1; to my sageclient.properties file to see if that mattered, and it didn't work.

I'm sure this is an "easy" fix, but I'm running into deadends everywhere.

It has to be a Sage configuration issue wince VLC will stream a DVD from the shared folder just fine no matter what my username is.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure all of your computers are in the same Workgroup. The default for XP is usually MSHOME while WHS gives a default of WORKGROUP. Start with the basics and review any of the WHS manuals from Microsoft. Running a service on a server-based OS is not always the same as running a general app on your PC os. Make sure you also installed java on your WHS.

Gerry
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Sage User

Both computer are on WORKGROUP and Java is already installed, but I reinstalled it just in case. I really think it has to be in my Sage configuration since other programs can access those folders and stream media from them. Would the debugging log have any helpful information in it after I attempt to open a video file?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Sage User

Log File

In case it helps, here is the log file that pertains to when I try and open a video.

Of note, it seems to be trying to access \\localhost\\videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS

The true path is \\SERVER\\videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS

It does day "host=server", but perhaps that is where the glitch is ?
I bolded the items that looked "important" to my untrained eye.

Code:
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.891 VideoFrame.watch(A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0])
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.891 watchThisFile=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.893 Watch airing is a file & over, do that instead dvd=false
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.895 VF.submitJob(VFJob[WatchMF r=0.0 t=0 file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] ifn=null])
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.895 VF processing job VFJob[WatchMF r=0.0 t=0 file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] ifn=null] nPlayin=false
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.897 VF processing on UI Thread VFJob[WatchMF r=0.0 t=0 file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] ifn=null]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.903 VideoFrame creating new media player for file:MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.906 VF processing job VFJob[LoadMF r=0.0 t=0 file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] ifn=null] nPlayin=false
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.907 CEPoolSize=5
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.909 VF processing on UI Thread VFJob[LoadMF r=0.0 t=0 file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] ifn=null]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.909 VF file=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]] targetTime = Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.915 VideoFrame.timeSelected(Wed 12/31 18:00:00.000, true) currFile=MediaFile[id=16093 A[27106,27105,"DVDs/A_BUGS_LIFE/VIDEO_TS",0@0604.23:42,0] host=server encodedBy= format=DVD 0:00:00 0 kbps [{MediaType=Movie, UserRating=8.5, EpisodeNumber=, MediaProviderDataID=imdb:tt0120623, SeasonNumber=, MediaTitle=A Bug's Life, OriginalAirDate=2003-05-20}] \\localhost\Videos\DVDs\A_BUGS_LIFE\VIDEO_TS, Seg0[Thu 6/4 23:42:08.077-Thu 6/4 23:42:08.078]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.916 setUI(sage.b4@11b92ef[MC MediaPlayer OSD]) histIdx=3 uiHistory=[sage.b4@9d9edd[Dynamic Menu by nielm], sage.b4@113c817[Video Library Folder View], sage.b4@71cb25[Program Info], sage.b4@11b92ef[MC MediaPlayer OSD]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.917 Ticker enabled
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.918 DShowPlayer setVideoRendererFilter0({51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}) called
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.946 Using VMR9 for video rendering
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.954 Setting up VMR9 deinterlacing
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.954 Curr Mix Prefs=0x1015
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.954 Set to 0x2015, hr=0x0, New Mix Prefs=0x2015
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.955 DShowPlayer setTimeshift=0 buffer=0
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.958 VideoFrame got registration of a subtitle UI component: sage.q[loc=java.awt.Point[x=116,y=408] size=java.awt.Dimension[width=544,height=109]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.959 VideoFrame got registration of a cc UI component: sage.q[loc=java.awt.Point[x=77,y=53] size=java.awt.Dimension[width=622,height=432]]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.962 Loading new font to cache font=MetaFont[Arial, size=20, style=1, height=22.998047, ascent=18.432617, descent=3.9111328, leading=0.6542969]
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.969 Exception from line: 347
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.969 Built:sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-3,0x80070057): There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback.
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-3,0x80070057): There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback.Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.DShowDVDPlayer.setupGraph0(Native Method)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.DShowMediaPlayer.load(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.DShowDVDPlayer.load(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.VideoFrame.a(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.VideoFrame.a(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.VideoFrame.access$300(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at sage.VideoFrame$6.run(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.970 	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.971 processOptionsMenu optionsMenu=default:PRQST-1234250|OptionsMenu:ErrorMessage
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.973 VideFrame had an error loading the file. It must abort the file load.
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.973 Tearing down playback graph
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.973 NATIVE Deallocating the CPlayerData object
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.973 ....RemoveFilter [DVD Navigator] .
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.975 ....RemoveFilter [VidRend] .
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.975 NATIVE Finished destroying the playback graph
Tue 6/9 23:01:38.980 VF processing job null nPlayin=false
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Sage User

Hey guys,

I've been getting the same error, and as of right now I'm just trying to play a video on my computer using sage. I just wiped sageTV and reinstalled the whole client on my computer and reuploaded some videos.
I also reinstalled the Java updates and it is still giving me the playback error. What could be giving me the error? I've run out of ideas.

EDIT: Quick update. So now, I put on some more movies. I have a total of 9 movies, 5 of the movies work (Star Wars I, II, V, VI and a ski video) and 4 still give me the playback error. Now I am very confused, what is going on?

Last edited by sam.griffin.bht; 06-30-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM

same here

I got the same error. cant play dvd from harddrive but if I brows to the .vob file I can play the dvd. whats going on here?!