SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Very angry at the moment... SageTV and consecutive recordings.

I have two tuners. One gets a feed from a satellite box via S-Video, the other gets an aerial feed. The picture from the S-Video is great, from the aerial pretty poor, so I have set the s-video tuner up as the primary one and just use the aerial as backup.

BBC1 today had two rugby games one after the other - so the same channel. The first was one I wasn;t that bothered about, but the second was an England game I reallly wanted to keep for the future.

SageTV recorded the first one using the s-video. And so it should. But then it switched to the aerial for the second, resulting in a terrible recording. Why? Yes, I have padding set up - but they were on the same channel! There was no need to change tuner in order to record them both at once.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

There is an option in the Setup->Customize section called "Remove padding on back-to-back favorites". This should prevent the problem in the future, unless you aren't using Favorites to record.

Frankly, Sage was just doing what you told it to do. You told it to record the game with padding. It had no idea that you didn't want that to happen with this particular game. I can understand being PO'd about getting poor quality, but frankly you are mad at the wrong object (person).
Old 02-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by src666
There is an option in the Setup->Customize section called "Remove padding on back-to-back favorites". This should prevent the problem in the future, unless you aren't using Favorites to record.
There may be in v4, but I haven't upgraded yet. Certainly can't see it in v2.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src666
Frankly, Sage was just doing what you told it to do. You told it to record the game with padding. It had no idea that you didn't want that to happen with this particular game. I can understand being PO'd about getting poor quality, but frankly you are mad at the wrong object (person).
No, it didn't. I was perfectly happy for it to record with padding; what I didn't want it to do was change tuners. And there was no need for it to change tuners - as Sage knew, because Sage knew they were on the same channel. No reason why it could not record the feed from the single tuner to two different places.

Just venting out of frustration. I know the signal is poor on the aerial, I use it solely as a backup and I'm quite careful about making sure anything I care about doesn;t conflict (or is the first to start if it does). It hadn't occurred to me that Sage would do this.

(Incidentally I was wrong about the padding; I hadn't actually set it up for that favourite at all. So there wasn't even an overlap between the two recordings.)
Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

I don't remember if it was available in the interface back in 2.1 but the property remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=true has been around since before 2.1 so if you add the property to your sage.properties file you should be good to go.

The tuner can only output one stream/file at a time. It and Sage don't have the ability to break up the same Mpeg stream into two seperate files. Would be cool if it could though.

Keep in mind though if you enable that property it would record no stop padding on the first game and keep the stop padding on the second game in your scenario.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
The tuner can only output one stream/file at a time. It and Sage don't have the ability to break up the same Mpeg stream into two seperate files. Would be cool if it could though.
+1 on that. Being able to have overlapping padding on back-to-backs on same channel would definitely be cool.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
+1 on that. Being able to have overlapping padding on back-to-backs on same channel would definitely be cool.
That sounds like something the software side can do, unless there is some technical issues that prevents it. If a feed goes into the tuner, and the tuner encodes it to MPEG2, and spit the data into your harddrive, then would it be possible for a software to tell it to write the same MPEG2 data twice, maybe with a little offset specified in the padding?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I suspect the graph would have to be rebuilt when the second recording started, thus causing a split in the first recording. And likewise for when the first recording ends.