SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to -LD
media library crashes

i added a couple directories as media libraries and sagetv crashed...now, whenever i start it, it crashes attempting to load

first, a suggestion, there should be an easy way to load the configuration screen without loading sagetv...second, this should be documented in the help guide because i sure couldn't find it

any idea why it's crashing? i have a lot of mp3s for sure, but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle...also, how can i fix this so i can at least use sagetv for normal recording even though i can't use it for playing other media?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:57 PM

Look for this line "seeker/archive_directory=" in your sage.properties file. Edit out the offending directories(or all) and SageTV should start fine.

I've had this happen before. Sometimes certain MP3 can cause this. Though the few that I had no longer cause any problems in SageTV 1.4.10.

To figure out which files are doing it... I readded one import directory at a time til I had a problem. Once I had a problem I removed half the files from the offending dir to a temp dir. If that fixed it you know that the problem file is in the temp dir. Just keep adding files back to the Sage import dir til you have a problem. If you only have one problem file then you can keep dividing by halves to find it. This can be done with two temp dirs. If you have more than one problem file it can get a lot harder. No way to tell til you start troubleshooting. Still if you can at least cut the group in half once you'll narrow the search down.

Once you find all the offending files then you can try and figure out if it's Sage's fault or the file is corrupt in some way.

Hope I explained that reasonably well. Also I hope it helps some.

PS:Another line that might be usefull is "seeker/library_import_filename_extensions=" this one determines which extentions are valid for Sage to try and import. If you have a lot of different file types this may help find the problem. Still I would just move(to the temp dir) all the files of a given media type if it was me.

Last edited by justme; 09-03-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Sage

It's probably some non-mpg2 video file that's doing it. Let me know what kind of file it was when you figure it out.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

just tried my music only instead of the music and video...it crashed immediately again

i have way too many files to try and narrow down the problem through process of elimination
Old 09-03-2003, 07:07 AM

Wow how many you have? I had over 450 and it only took me a half an hour. Did you try the move to a temp dir method not the remove extension method? I think Sage caches the files in the Wiz, since I have one AVI(divx) that will crash Sage even when I remove the ext from the properties file. If I move it out of the import dir Sage loads fine. In Sage's defence this is a really bad divx.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Sage

-LD,

Weird...I'm VERY interested in getting a hold of that specific file you have that's crashing it. What kind of music files do you have? Is it only MP3s? Did you make any changes to the library import extensions list?

Library importing of music files should be bullet proof, so your help is much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

i have 1774 mp3-only files in the directory i am attempting to import

everything on SageTV is bone stock

i wil try to narrow it down a bit...first try with a single directory with only 9 songs worked, sorta...extremely slow response...may just be that it's the first import
Old 09-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Sage

It should import MP3s very quickly. I've got 2,500 of them in my library and it imports them all in about a minute.

Are you sure you're not having disk problems? Is this a network drive and you've got network problems maybe? A slow response with 9 songs sounds like something else may be wrong....
Old 09-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

it is on a network drive...on a 10/100 switch...haven't noticed any slow transfer or otherwise in the past...these are the only two machines on the switch...i've added a bit more so far without much problem...hasn't crashed yet either