SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to hookla
virus on download!

i just downloaded the client and on instal my virus checker said it found a trojan in the infa red dll...

anyone else having probs?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage User

My virus scanner reported a virus (one which google has no info on, basically seems to not actually exist) in the averapi_182.dll today, which I believe is a false positive after having scanned my entire system with antispyware/adware/virus software, as well as heuristics checkers. I simply set it on the exclude list and all is well again. My guess is you're encountering the same issue, but with a different file.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am running Avast! as my anti-virus program. Shortly after Avast! updated itself today (Jan 25, 2006) it deteted a virus in the file averapi_182.dll. The virus detected is Win32:Sinmsn-D [WRM]. Acording to the Avast! program this is a worm. I cannot however find any information regarding this virus/worm, even on the Avast! website (other than the fact it was added to the most recent signature set).

I have found that this file is very important to both SageTV and the client.

I am not posting this to start a virus/worm scare. I suspect the A/V program is falsely detecting this file as malware (it can happen).

I am curious if this has happened to anyone else. Even more so if your using a different A/V product.

I did delete the averapi_182.dll file and replace it by rerunning the SageTV install. The file tiggered the A/V program again during the install.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP2) and SageTV 4.1.x.

Thanks

THe virus/worm name was Win32:Sinmsn-D [WRM]. I also could not find any information on this virus. I am using using Avast! as my A/V
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData
I am running Avast! as my anti-virus program. Shortly after Avast! updated itself today (Jan 25, 2006) it deteted a virus in the file averapi_182.dll. The virus detected is Win32:Sinmsn-D [WRM]. Acording to the Avast! program this is a worm. I cannot however find any information regarding this virus/worm, even on the Avast! website (other than the fact it was added to the most recent signature set).

I am curious if this has happened to anyone else. Even more so if your using a different A/V product.

I did delete the averapi_182.dll file and replace it by rerunning the SageTV install. The file tiggered the A/V program again during the install.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP2) and SageTV 4.1.x.

Thanks

THe virus/worm name was Win32:Sinmsn-D [WRM]. I also could not find any information on this virus. I am using using Avast! as my A/V
I am running the same antivirus software. Avast. As soon as I ran the client, avast told me there was a virus on my computer. It then found the dll in memory so it asked me to do a full scan. While I rebooted and did a full scan it found the same file again, to which I deleted it. I am not sure whats going on.. my guess it is a false positive.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Sage User

Yep, that's the program I'm running too (Avast!), exact same "trojan" detected after today's VPS update. I believe it is a false positive.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Sage Expert

Yup. Same here. Avast seems to be hitting a false positive.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

e-mailed Avast about virus/worm detection

I e-mailed Avast (support@avast.com) about the recent update to the VPS detecting the averapi_182.dll file as a virus/worm. I don't know if or when they wll reply but I will pass on any reply I may get.

I didn't try to exclude the file last evening when this problem began to occur. I did try to exclude the dll this morning and it was still detecting it when I would start the SageTV application. I was doing this in a bit of hurry, so I will double check my efforts again when I have more time to do so.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Sage User

Interesting. Since I deleted the file yesterday, and reinstalled sage 4.15 beta, I am now getting a Java exception error in the ...infrared...dll file (don't remember the exact file name) and sage client won't load. Its a access denied error to the file. The sagetv service is running fine and recording ( I know because the directory is filling up with new shows)... I am puzzled what to do next...

Jeff
Old 01-26-2006, 07:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData
I didn't try to exclude the file last evening when this problem began to occur. I did try to exclude the dll this morning and it was still detecting it when I would start the SageTV application. I was doing this in a bit of hurry, so I will double check my efforts again when I have more time to do so.
I got the same problem with Avast, but excluding the file stopped the detection, everything is working fine again...

Dirk
Old 01-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hello,

Same problem here. I let avast reboot and run a bootscan and sure enough it declared the above mentioned file as a virus/worm. I had avast put the file "in the chest". I am hoping when I get home this evening I can have it reinstall the file from the chest so as to avoid reinstalling sage. Anyone know if this is possible, or will I definitely have to do a full sage reinstall?

In any case I will be sure and put this file on the exclusions list.

Jesse
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Sage User

You should be able to either A) restore it from the chest, or at worst, B) run a "repair" version of the setup program (just run it with Sage installed still and disable avast! during the install, click repair option, and it will fix Sage *WITHOUT* destroying your settings) like I did .
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks GT.

Jesse
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to AboveUnrefined Send a message via MSN to AboveUnrefined
That could be Avast's heuristics going overboard. I've seen it do it before for several other sorts of software... there was no virus whatsoever but it thought there was.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I didn't get much of a reply from Avast! other than they will give the information I sent them to the developers. I did notice that Avast did have another update out this afternoon that so far seems to have solved the problem with averapi_182.dll being detected as an infected file.

Appearently my efforts to exclude the offendind file from Avast! were actully successful. I tried starting Sage (before I applied the new VPS) and it started OK without a virus warning.

I removed the exclusion for the dll file after I applied the new VPS update and everything seems to work fine, so far. Just like before.

Yeah, I got some kind of Java error after I moved the dll file to the chest. I also deleted it from the chest. To restore SageTV, I reran the install file and chose the repair option. It worked fine but I still had Avast! running and it triggered the virus warning during the install.

This is the first time I've had a problem with Avast!. I have helped clean many infected machines with Avast! and it has always done a fine job. It even caught stuff other AV products didn't.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveUnrefined
That could be Avast's heuristics going overboard. I've seen it do it before for several other sorts of software... there was no virus whatsoever but it thought there was.

I've used Avast! for about 10 months and this is the first false-positive it has detected on my machines or any of my friend's/family's PC's. A small annoyance, but the program is great, and it's free to boot!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to AboveUnrefined Send a message via MSN to AboveUnrefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger
I've used Avast! for about 10 months and this is the first false-positive it has detected on my machines or any of my friend's/family's PC's. A small annoyance, but the program is great, and it's free to boot!
Avast is great, oversensitive heuristics is not a bad thing either - it's much better to be safe than sorry!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage User

I've run avast for a couple years now... this is the FIRST false positive I have had...

Jeff
Old 01-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

WOW .. TY .... TY ... Tahnk You.

You guys are "the bomb" as the kids say. I was going nuts cuz Sage no longer would install. Searched the above *.dll and Voila. Since I am a firm user of Avast I assumed that was the problem. Cannot say if, when or how it happened but I did the repair on Sage reload and all is well.

Once again thx for these great forums.