SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Sage User

Auto delete "record while you watch" files?

I noticed that SageTV is recording while I just watch something. So if I just click on something in the guide that I want to watch, it starts recording it in its own file.

Instead of using the same directory as the pause buffer, it just puts them in the main directory with the show title, etc. When I change channels, it keeps creating a new file.

1. Will these auto delete and if so, when?

2. Can these "temp" files be moved to the pause buffer directory instead of in the main directory for "good" requested records?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Sage

These files will get deleted when you exit SageTV or when you fill up your disk space and SageTV needs to start making room for more video (these would be the first to get deleted in that case).
Old 08-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
These files will get deleted when you exit SageTV or when you fill up your disk space and SageTV needs to start making room for more video (these would be the first to get deleted in that case).

Suggestion for future version/fix... Have these "temp" files be in a temporary folder. They tend to clutter up the directory with recorded programs.

Or at a minimum, prefix the files with a _ or $ or something to make them stand out from the rest.

THANKS!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am using the latest SageTV demo 1.4.10 I think. When I limit the drive usage to a number (I did 1 gig for testing) sage will run out of space in creating the above mentioned temp/watch files, and throw up a requestor saying that it has run out of space. I have to press ok each time. What is up with that? Is there a setting to disable that? I just want it delete these files silently.
thanks for a nice product, I am thinking hard about buying this one.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Sage

Setting it to only have 1 GB of disk space isn't really a valid setup....that'll make it sick.

It'll delete these files silenty once the space is needed to record more video. Just don't worry about the fact that they're there and everything will be fine.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Sage User

Two questions relating to this.

If I manully delete these files will it cause any problems?

If I manually delete fully recorded shows (not from within Sage) will it cause any problems?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex,
Last night I setup Sage for a 40 GB drive limit and used the scheduler to set it to record two programs. they were each 1 and .5 hours long. schedule looks fine. I put it to sleep.
came back today and there is a "ran out of disk space cannot continue to record" requestor like I described earlier. I look at the recorded files and the one hour show is near 40GB in size (on the 6 gig/per hour quality setting) and the half hour show is like 25Gigs. I play the files from the player and it shows them as 1 hour and 1/2 hour, respectively. I seek to the 1 hour point and the player plays past the 1:00 point and starts going 1:01/1:00, 1:02/1:00...etc. Any ideas? I did delete every timeshift file last night from windows explorer. Did this confuse it?
It has gone mad! mad! I tells ya. This is the demo. I am using a DVCR. system is a P3 on to a 2 drive software RAID.

dont see a log file to include
Old 08-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

aglennon:

No.

No.

That was easy. If you want to delete them, it won't bother SageTV.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

sundansx:

The log file is in the Sagetv folder. Sagetv_0.txt is the latest, and the others (Sagetv_#.txt) are copies of the previous logs in order from 1-3.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

c:\program files\frey technologies\sagetv
no log files of any sort.
I am using the demo, does that matter?

Hmm, I also setup some recordings last night. before the recording started, I changed the max disk usage to 25GB and set the quality to DVD standard play and it appears to have stopped recording at the half hour mark as expected.
I recorded last night at the ~6.5GB/hr max quality mode. think the problem has something to do with that mode? Probably not that popular of a mode, eh?
The stuff I recorded last night (crazy recorder) was an infomercial. Think that poisoned the stream and messed up sage? Those things are worse than viruses
I just had to know what crap they were selling at 3am this morning.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

sundansx,

I'm not sure if Jeff has turned off the log files for the demo or not, he'll need to supply some input here. But, it sounds to me like you aren't really experiencing any other problems now since you changed your max disk usage. Or, am I missing something? So you really don't need the log files.

I record at 2GB/hr all the time and never have any quality issues. Set a lower quallty to test it out and see how you like it. (try 3 or something, if you don't like 2.)
Old 08-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

From what I remember from the last round of beta testing, the log files are created by "beta" releases, but when they create a real release (EG the demo you're using) they turn off logging.

I'm not sure if there's a setting in sage.properties to turn logging back on?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Sage

Log files are turned off for the release.

sundansx, the problem is that the Creative card doesn't do higher bitrates correctly. Everything except for the MPEG2 Max Quality ~ 5.6GB/hr is OK to use with the VBDVCR.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK.
Hey, I see in the config files that each quality type bitrate is listed. What is the resolution for each of these types using a DVCR and a PVR-250?
thanks.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Sage

720x480 for Great, Best, Max and all the DVD ones
480x480 for Fair, Good and all the SVCD ones

(it uses different sizes for PAL of course)
Old 09-02-2003, 03:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have found that if you set Sagetv to use like 40 gig and you don't have 40 gig like you downlooad something that brings the drive space below the 40 gig limit it tends to mess up Sagetv. But the experience that i have had is that sagetv looses the ability to delete it's recorded files to free up space it just fills up the drive and stops recording and dies with an error till you delete some recordings to free up space for more. Kinda something i have run accross recently since i also use my record drive for downloads and video editing. Though i havent had a program record past it's set time limit before.

I have been meaning to set this up in a HTPC system when i have the $$ but at this time im still useing it on my main system so i have had to be frugal about some things like drive space and it has come back to bite me in recent days. So that may also be playing a part in this to some degree. So you should also make sure that if you set it up to use a specific amount of space that you acctually have that much space on the drive for it(Thought i should include this just incase it might have relavence and also to voice a bug i have run across).

Note im also useing a PVR 250 and a DVCR with various record quality settings used with both but haven't run across this myself. Though i have had some messed up recordings on the DVCR at highest quality settings so as Narflex has said it's not recomended. But i myself haven't run across this type of bug on my system even when i have rcorded at such high quality settings on the DVCR.
Not to say it couldn't happen though just that i haven't seen it myself.

Last edited by Crazedz; 09-02-2003 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
720x480 for Great, Best, Max and all the DVD ones
480x480 for Fair, Good and all the SVCD ones

(it uses different sizes for PAL of course)
DYK what the natural resolution of an NTSC TV is?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Sage

The horizontal resolution for TV is continous and has no 'pixel' resolution (although there is some degree of approximate resolution due to bandwidth constraints), and the vertical is 525 lines with about 480 of them used for the display. (PAL is 625 lines with about 576 of them used for display)
Old 09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

Narflex, I have never heard of TV's having no horizontal res.
The picture would only be drawn until the next horizontal sync pulse. So its not infinite nor continous. Horizontal res is measured by alternating black and while lines vertically then counting them. Most regular TV's average between 430 to 480 in the real world. At least thats what I learned while going to school for EE. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would like to know if my understanding has been wrong.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:31 PM

One of you is talking about the hardware implementation and the other(Narflex) is talking about the signal specification. So you both are right in this situation. Though in this case the signal spec. is more usefull since the hardware varies so much from person to person. IMO

Quote:
So its not infinite nor continous
True the signal is not infinite that is where the bandwidth constraints come in. As for continous...Since NTSC is an analog signal it is continous in a since. This is one of those areas where things can get really obscure, but it's best to keep it simple. IMO

Please forgive me any over simplifications or misstatements. It's been about 10 yrs. since I got my Electronis Technology degree. Anyway time to go back "On Topic".

Last edited by justme; 09-02-2003 at 10:46 PM.