SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question what I don't understand: TS files and network encoders

This may be a stupid question, I don't know. Maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but I just don't understand why we all have to manually build graphedit graphs with MPEG multiplexers and demultiplexers to produce a PS MPEG file for custom Sage network encoders (such as Anders' Universal Network Encoder (UNE)), when Sage already supports .ts file playback.

I mean, if Sage can playback .ts files, why can't we have a network encoder that produces .ts files and that's it ?

The reason I'm asking this is that in my particular case here I'm having a set-top-box that doesn't have a firewire connection, but there are many tools to stream the live data from the box to a file via a network interface. The tools can produce .ts files or a number of PES files (or even synchronized demultiplexed .mpv and .mpa files), but not .mpg files on-the-fly. Since I don't have a directx input device, I cannot build a graph with graphedit as others do for their firewire devices. I guess it would be very easy, however, to write a custom network encoder (like UNE) that simply uses those tools for these kinds of set-top-boxes to produce .ts files.

So if only Sage could playback .ts-files recorded by a custom network encoder... why doesn't that work
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

THe newest method for doing firewire captures dumps straight from the cable box to a .TS dump file (although it's name is .mpg, it's a transport stream). No conversions, VERY little processor power required.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh.. okay!

Thanks!

TS data in an *.mpg file, ALRIGHT!! Didn't see that coming... WOOHOOOO
Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

Only problem with it at the moment is that ShowAnalyzer bombs out on TS files, so if you're using it to comskip, you'll have to manually create a 0-byte .txt file with the same name as the show to make SA go to the next file (it'll try to process the file indefinitely). I believe the next version of SA is supposed to address this (but not comskip TS files yet, just drops a dummy .txt file when it encounters one in a mpg wrapper).

*EDIT* Here's a link to the instructions for doing the box -> TS file directly, without all the other stuff you used to have to do: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...513#post125513
Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks again!

Man, I can't get over that I can just put the TS data in the recorded mpg file.

Do you know what that means???
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS???

Why the hell am I waiting for DVB-C/(S) support in Europe! It's all there! Just need a f***ing dbox-II with linux, connect it via Ethernet, write a simple network encoder for Sage that uses udrec to record TS data. YAHOOOOOO.... digital recording from my STB... That's so cool!!

Now I can't wait to get my dbox II...