SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

UNC Paths giving me grief

firstly: I'm using 4.1.3 and using service logged in as the main login person (me) who has access to everything. Its the same account that is logged into windows.

Well, I added a hard drive and used a unc path for the recording video files (my files on the other drive are still c:\... and I constinue to use it). Unfortunately, after a few days, it got stuck(100% cpu) after I told it to delete a file which happened to be on the new drive(I had deleted files from that drive before just fine); killing everything only way to escape. Rrestarting, and also rebooting and restarting just puts sagetv service and system together to give me 100% cpu (say sagetv 70%, system 30%) whenever it starts. The client can start, but basically gives me spinning logo once I actually do anything.

ok, so i removed the unc path, then restarted; it seemed ok. But when I added the non unc path to the same directory in the videos dir and restarted, it went back to 100% cpu all the time. I then assumed it was being confused because it still saw files in the old dir, and then the same ones in the new dir...maybe not but who knows. I moved the files to a new dir and referred to that; didn't work the first time, but somehow, restarting it and then it works fine - references to the unc path is gone. I think its fixed: now I'm really not liking unc paths.

ok, what does all this mean:

what I've discovered: if you have unc paths for music and it tries to access them but the drive isn't there; it'll go 100% cpu for me. If you change to non unc path, or vice versa, you have to delete all the old playlists because using any of them will cause it to go 100% cpu - I end up having like 50 playlists created because of directories and its a pain to delete them all manually!!!

I've also discovered that somehow, when I disconnect and reconnect an external drive; it SOMETIMES shows up in winxp but the unc dir is empty. Using drive reference it's still all there, and sharing settings return the same as well. No idea what going on there.

So, I'm wondering if the root problem is something in winxp and unc paths; which is then compounded by the fact that sagetv seems particularly unhappy with unc problems.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

And then a day later....I delete a file and I get the same thing happen; and no unc paths are being used at all. I went into explorer and manually deleted the file, then cpu usage drops back to normal and everything's fine. hmmm.

I've just disabled the delete menu that comes up at the end of playing a file in hopes it's somehow related to it. So far it has only happened on the new drive and with the delete menu; I've had no problems with corrupted files, etc during recording to it; don't know what is causing it. I haven't had any errors with the drive using any other software.

thoughts? i fear it is related to the new drive???
Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

well to continue talking to myself....it just went 100% cpu when it tried to automatically delete a file on the new drive. i went to explorer, manually deleted it, then cpu usage goes back to normal. I then just deleted 15 files through sagetv, no problems.

I have no idea what's going on!!!! I'm pretty close to a fresh install of xp.