SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage 4.1.4 MVPs Losing Settings

I am not sure if this is an MVP issue, a sage software issue, or an incompatable import, but it is driving me up the wall if someone can please help.

I currently have two MVPs wired into a Netgear WGT624 router with SageTV 4.1.4 installed on a Win XP SP2 machine. The STV I am using is the standard SageTV3.stv with Nielm's comskip import (copied SageTV3.stv to MySage.stv, imported Nielm's plug-in and Sage creaed MySage.xml which is what I use)

The issues...
Ideally I would like consistency across the server machine and the MVPs with respect to the STV. However, it seems you can have a different STV for each MVP? Sorry Opus, haven't dug into the manual on this yet, but...

Anyway, after installing the MVPs I noticed it was using the standard SageTV3.stv instead of MySage.xml. No problem ... went into the detailed setup and selected MySage.xml on each MVP. Problem solved.

But then, things got weird. At the end of a show, it is as though the comskip features are no longer there. While watching a second show, if you pull the detail menu list of actions you can take, it is missing a number of them (comskip enable/disable being the one that bothers me the most). I went into the detail tab and somehow a different STV was beign referenced SageTV3-1.stv. Where did that come from? I know it makes that file if you modify the existing copy without renaming, but as I mentioned the one I modified was MySage.stv and not SageTV3.stv. Furthermore, when I go to reselect MySage.xml as the stv, the only stv's listed for selecting are those with a .stv extension. It will not list the .xml files as a choice.

The only way I have found to resolve this is to unplug the MVP and let it reload. That usually cleans it up. But then, when you hit the end of that first show you watch, it loses it again.

I have search for threadson the comskip import not working with 4.1.4, not being able to find the .xml stvs, etc. without much luck. Am I missing these threads? Anybody else running into this? Any suggestions on things to try? Is it possible there are conflicts being cause by one device (e.g one MVP vs. another) is wreaking havoc wiht the property files for a different MVP?

One other thing I have noticed...in my recycle box/folder/can there are numerous sage.properties.autobackup and "gobbeldegook".properties.autobackup files in the client folder that get deleted every five minutes by "SageTVSer" Is the Sage Service somehow trying to help me out by backing up my MVP properties, but then inadvertently messing things up by recovering a bad copy somehow? Non techie guessing here.

Please help, the constant resetting the setup is a real bummer.

Thanks

Last edited by malbec; 01-05-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Yes, each MVP can use its own STV.

I'm not sure how/why the STV would get reset, but you won't have the option to load any .xml file as your STV unless you've based your customized import on the SageTV3.xml file. (Older .stv files don't have the code to allow loading .xml files.) SageTV3.xml is the default STV as of v4.1.

You are probably seeing deleted properties files because SageTV saves its properties every so often, kepping the previous as the .autobackup file & removing the old backup copy.

Out of curiosity, after setting your STV, go to the Configuration Wizard meun & then go to any other menu. (The properties file is force-saved after exiting the Config Wiz screen.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.