SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Sage User

Unhappy Playback Exception ERROR: (-4, 0x80040217 )

During the setup of SageTV PVR Software( I really love this software, if and when I finally will get a TV picture ); as I am getting a Playback Exception: ERROR: ( -4, 0x80040217 ). Attached is a PDF file showing the Setup Screens and information. I have WINXP Pro OS, w/ATI AIW Rage 128 TV Tuner Card ( NTSC )-Analog, w/AMD XP 2000+ CPU and w/512MB DDR 2700 memory. In addition, ATI TV Tuner Software( Version 7.1 ) is installed and can get a picture with ATI's TV Tuner software.

Why in Source Details, does it say "Currently being used for LiveTV: false" ?

Regards,
Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SetupError(SageTVSoftware).pdf (284.1 KB, 290 views)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Administrator

That is a software encoder & I have no idea how well that one works, so I can't comment too much on that part, but the error suaully means that you need to try different video renderer and/or decoder settings in Detailed Setup -> Video/Audio. You should also try turning 3D Acceleration off in the Adanced section there.

If the source is not being used for watching live TV at the moment, then that explains the 'false' status.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Chuck,

Do you have the Nvidia decoder set as default? There are some versions of it that will cause this error. I get this error if I use the version of he Nvidia decoder that's on the CD from Nvidia (OEM version). There's a newer version that fixes this, if that's your issue.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Sage User

I did chage the video rendering setting to "Basic", which says turn off 3D acceleration.

How I change the LiveTV setting to "TRUE" ?

Also I don't I have any Nvidia drivers, becuase this card is about 7 years old.
But it still works great, even with ATI's TV Tuner Software ( Version 7. 1 )

If I downloaded from where ( website ) the nVidia drivers, will it fix this error ?

Another thing I did, was to abort the SageTV software via the Windows Task Manager[End Task], and now ever since when trying to redisplay SageTV initial screen, it won't display at all...( sigh )

I am using the Trial Version, till I get it work and then will consider in purchasing it. Do I need a Trial Version Key# to be able to test this and continue experimenting with it ? If so, what is the Trail Key# ?

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

------
Chuck
Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Chuck,

I think your best bet is to contact tech support. It sounds like you have several issues...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
How I change the LiveTV setting to "TRUE" ?
That just indicates whether it is _currently_ being used for live TV, not that it can be used for that purpose.

Quote:
I am using the Trial Version, till I get it work and then will consider in purchasing it. Do I need a Trial Version Key# to be able to test this and continue experimenting with it ? If so, what is the Trail Key# ?
Thee is simply a trial time limit; no special trial key.

I strongly suggest looking into getting a hardware based encoder, such as one of the Hauppauge cards -- the recording quality will be much better and cpu usage while recording will be much lower. Also, there may be an issue using the software encoder card you have, so that might explain why it isn't working properly.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Sage User

Attached is a PDF file, it showing the SageTV LiveTV screen with nothing in it.
Also, it shows the SageTV Detailed System Information.
When I exited the LiveTV session, it took forever to display the SageTV Detailed System Information
---had to reinstall to get back into this program...( sigh )

Which Happauge TV Tuner Card do you suggest.
Would like one with with QAM so I can pickup more than 70% of uncrypted channels, so I can watch PBA Bowling(via ESPN) on Sundays unencrypted.
Does SageTV suport QAM ?

Somebody else mentioned the HD3000 TV Tuner Card, which supports HDTV(ATSC) and QAM---it is a Linux specific card though and quite procey @ $169.00...( sigh )

Thank you so much for your help with this.

------
Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MoreInfo(1).pdf (504.3 KB, 276 views)
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Any of the Hauppauge PVR style cards should work fine -- the 250, 150, or 500 are popular. The PVR-USB2 works well too.

SageTV does not record QAM. For HD recording, you could look into an OTA card or check out one of the recording plugins in the hardware section of the forum. Some people are recording over a firewire connection from the cable box.

- Andy
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Sage User

Thank you Andy!
Do all of the Hauppauge PVR TV Tuner Cards support CC(close-captioning), and have the QAM reception of the many(> 70%) un-encrypted channels that are broadcast by the cable tv signal ?

Plus, are all of the Happauge PVR TV Tuner Cards "hardware encoding", versus "software encoding" for better quality&performance ?

Is the ATI AIW(All-In-Wonder) Rage 128 (AGP Slot) too slow of a graphics card ?
I have a ATI 9000 Pro Graphics Card( AGP Slot ), but would have to put in a PCI Slot TV Tuner Card. I do have KWORLD's ATSC 110 TV Tuner(Analog & HDTV) Card, but was told that this KWORLD ATSC 110 card doesn't support CC(close-captioning).

------
Chuck
Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckJr
Do all of the Hauppauge PVR TV Tuner Cards support CC(close-captioning),
SageTV can use CC from the pvr-250 or pvr-350.

Quote:
and have the QAM reception of the many(> 70%) un-encrypted channels that are broadcast by the cable tv signal ?
No, I commented above that SageTV does not support QAM. Using a card from Hauppauge, you can record direct from analog cable or from the output of a cable converter box.

See a couple posts above for HDTV recording options.

Quote:
Plus, are all of the Happauge PVR TV Tuner Cards "hardware encoding", versus "software encoding" for better quality&performance ?
No, that's why I mentioned that PVR series -- those are the hardware encoder ones.

- Andy
Old 01-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4

SageTV does record QAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4

No, I commented above that SageTV does not support QAM.
So the first quote is a typo then? Because Sage supporting QAM would be . Any info on possible future support?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
So the first quote is a typo then?
WOW

I know I make typos fairly often, but I think I usually proof read well enough not to say the opposite of what I meant!

I didn't not mean to never say anything about QAM not being not supported. No!

I edited the first half of those comments to say "SageTV does not record QAM"... sorry for the confusion that may have caused.

- Andy
Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Sage User

Smile

Andy:

I looked at several TV Tuner Cards info:
...> Hauppage(PVR150) appears NOT to have a HDTV(ATSC) & NTSC Card
---- just a NTSC(Analog & Cable w/125 channels scan ) TV Tuner Version
...> Fusion HDTV Card w/QAM or Fusion USB HDTV w/QAM
http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/
http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/

It also looks like Fusion TV Tuners are "software encoding" versus
"hardware encoding"; is this a problem ?

Even though SageTV at the moment doesn't record QAM, can I still watch QAM unencrypted channels ?

BTW: Looking at the Fusion TV Tuner Products, it seems they are all just for HDTV w/QAM and doesn't include the NTSC (OTA) signals...( sigh )
Does SageTV plan to add support in the recording of QAM channels in the future and if not, why not ?

What source ( website ) does it show what QAM( unencryted channels - i.e, ESPN, Golf Channel, and few others too ) that I can pickup and watch via a QAM TV Tuner ? I would like to know, exactly how many channels I can pickup.

Before I decide on a HDTV w/QAM TV Tuner, is whether I can pickup quite a few of the QAM channels; and if it worth it or nor and just get a NTSC TV Tuner or a HDTV(ATSC) with NTSC TV Tuner combination.

I did try the KWORLD ATSC 110 ( HDTV & NTSC ) TV Tuner Card:
...>this card performance is quite slow
...>I was able to get a picture and sometimes a "NoSignal" msg would appear, even though I have a really good Amplified Antenna (Recoton Product).
...>So far, haven't seen how I can turn ON&OFF CC(close-captions) much like ATI's TV Tuner Software... ( sigh ) For some reason, I was able to see and get the CC(close captions) with ATI's TV Tuner Software (Version 7.1) and can via this software, turn ON&OFF the CC(close-captions).

Thank you again.
Chuck
Old 01-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

SageTV records OTA HDTV, so you can only watch/record your local broadcast. In this case, the HDTV tuner card simply grabs & stores the HDTV stream as it comes in -- there is no encoding being done in hardware or software. I don't follow QAM, but if you search the forum for it, you will find some past comments on it.

The supported OTA HDTV cards are listed here.

For CC, see Appendix K in the PDF manual; p. 246 for v4.1. There are only a few cards that it works with in SageTV.

- Andy