SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Sage User

Question Recorder (Server) Not working?

I cannot get sage TV and sage recorder (server) to work together. I gave up on this once before with a beta version of recorder but recently purchased a full copy hoping to finally network Sage. I have multiple client licenses and would like to use them. I have sage TV on one system and installed recorder on another. I followed the instructions in that info txt file on setting up Sage Recorder. Both systems have the PVR 250 but different versions. I set up the recorder program and enabled server functions. I then copied the encoder lines to portion of the properties files indicated in the instructions over the network to the Sage TV properties file. Changed the encoder ##### to 12345 as directed. Added the HCTP: 6969. I also made sure that both programs were closed at the time. I started Sage TV went to setup and see the second Hauppauge card listed. I add this as a source and everything seems a go. Except when I go to the guide there’s only one Sage recording schedule and I’m not able to record one show and watch a different channel. I remember reading somewhere that there should be a Sage 1 and Sage 2. I don’t know were to go from here.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Sage

Do you have the video directories for SageTV accessible on the network encoder?

This is done by using mapped drives or UNC paths for your video directories.

That could be the problem. This also occurs if SageTV is unable to connect to the SageRecorder instance across the network (make sure it's all running and everything's connected). Let me know.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Thanks Jeff

I have a directory on the D: drive of the sage Recorder shared on the network. On Sage TV it is used as one of the source drives for storage and is also the location setup in sage recorder for the storage location. I see that Sage TV is already using this drive and some files have already been created.

Things I’ve checked:
1. Both systems are using the same and latest version.
2. Recorder setup properly and by itself works and controls the Box correctly with Actisys IR-200L.
3. Both programs were closed when reading or changing the properties file.
4. Recorder set up as Network server

Things I’m not sure on:

1. (If there's any capture devices in the SageTV machine that are the same as those in the SageRecorder machine (i.e. each have a PVR 250), then replace all of the #### with 12345 If you're doing this for more than one card, then don't use 12345, just pick a different number, any number will do as long as its unique.)

Question: Does this mean you change the #’s for the unit in the SageTV properties file or is this in reference to the Recorder properties file before you copy and paste? I have 1 PVR250 newer version in the SageTV system and an older version 250 in the recorder system. Both properties files mmc/encoders/####’s are different and unique from each other, what is the reason in changing one to 12345?

2. (For the text you just pasted, find the line that says: mmc/encoders/####/encoding_host= and change it to be: Mmc/encoders/####/encoding_host=HTPC:6969
Where HTPC:6969 is the machine name running SageRecorder and 6969 is the port the EncodingServer is on (6969 is the default, and configurable in the SageRecorder.properties file)

Question: Is the actual computer name added in here ie Computer 2:6969 or is this supposed to be HTPC:6969?

3. If this new capture device shows up in the Setup Wizard does it mean that its been recognized by SageTV as available on the network or is it just there because I’ve added it into the properties file?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Sage

1. The ##### in the Recorder properties file do not need to change. Only the ones you paste into the Sage properties file

2. HTPC is meant to represent the computer name, so you should change it to "Computer 2" or whatever's appropriate....definitely the problem if you didn't do that.

3. It'll show up in the SetupWizard simply because you've added it to the properties file. BUT it will only show up in the EPG/schedule as a tuner if SageTV is able to successfully communicate with it.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Sage User

I guess I didn't understand what the HTPC meant and put that in instead of the actual computer name. I'll change that tonight and give it a try. But like you said thats were I went wrong.

Thanks Again.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Sage User

Well I’ve taken 2 steps forward and one step backwards. I made the changes to the properties file and now was able to have Sage 1 and Sage 2 show up in the Guide. But now I don’t get video or audio and the position indicator doesn’t change when the Recoder Server PVR 250 device is used and shuddering or jerky video and audio when the SageTV PVR 250 is used. I also get errors on the SageTV computer that say: The video capture hardware has stopped producing data. Please shutdown SageTV and restart your computer to correct the problem. Well needless to say but restarting doesn’t correct the problem, the same thing happens. Errors on the Recorder computer also : There was a problem utilizing the SageTV Directshow filter. Unable to set the ? in the dump filter. ErrCode=0x80070003. Also: There was a problem utilizing the SageTV Directshow filters. Same error code. I don’t know if there is a networking problem or some specific setting that need to be changed?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Sage

What about this...
Do you have the video directories for SageTV accessible on the network encoder?

This is done by using mapped drives or UNC paths for your video directories.

That could be the problem. This also occurs if SageTV is unable to connect to the SageRecorder instance across the network (make sure it's all running and everything's connected). Let me know.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Sage User

Both systems have D: drives for video storage. On the SageTV system the D: drive of the Recorder Computer is maped as V: drive and is also listed as a usable drive in SageTV for storage.
On the Sage Recorder system I have the D: drive of the SageTV system mapped as the V: drive. The Sage Recorder system has the D: drive of its own computer listed as the storage location.
I know the SageTV computer is controling Sage Recorder because it will change the channel on the box and start the recording process onto the D: drive of the SageTV system. It's just that there's no video or audio in the sageTV program.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think you need to map (on your recorder machine) to the video directory on your server machine and map it as your D drive on your recorder machine. (same as what's on your server.) Change the existing D drive on your recorder system to some other drive letter. Then you can reset your video directory for SageRecorder on your recorder machine to match whatever drive letter you changed it to.

I'm not sure why you are setting up a video directory on your recorder machine, becasue it's not required for network encoding, I don't think.

Last edited by jmeeks; 08-29-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Sage

You're right jmeeks, the video directory for SageRecorder when its used as a network encoder is irrelevant.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Sage User

Well I did get the network server working but now I’ve got another situation. As I explained in a previous post I have a 2nd drive in both the SageTV and Recorder computer for video storage. The sage recorder PVR250 functions without problems, however the SageTV PVR250 now does not record properly to the shared drive of the Sage Recorder system. It stutters and jumps as if the recording is constantly being interrupted. I’ve verified that the recording itself is bad. The funny thing is however when a recording from the SageTV PVR250 is made to the local hard drive the recording is fine. The same is true while watching live TV, Sage 1 (network server) works fine, Sage 2 Local PVR250 stutters and jumps except if its recording to the local drive. The first 20 seconds of video always looks fine but then it starts. I’m sure this is a network issue but don’t know were to look. I’ve deleted the PVR drivers and reinstalled the latest as well as reinstalling SageTV. The simplest solution that I’m planning on doing is to take the drive from the network server and put it in the SageTV system also but I thought I’d find out if someone’s got some ideas on this.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

What is your network setup? Could it be the drive you are trying to use? Do you have the option of using a different physical drive to troubleshoot across the network?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Sage User

jmeeks, thanks for the input. The drive seems to work fine and I believe the network setup is ok. I did which the drive to the sageTV computer so that all recording drives are now in the SageTV server. You can now watch TV from the server or the recorder system as well as another client on the network. Now however I come up with this error on the Sage recorder, SageTV, or client system when I view live TV using the recorder PVR250: (There was a problem with the shared Async Reader Filter Failure loading file. Errcode 0x80004005). If I which to the sage 2 (SageTV PVR) the video is fine and then which back to the sage 1 (recorder PVR) it now also plays fine. This seems to occur whenever a client, or SageTV server hasn’t been used for awhile. My question is: Is this a network error because information that’s being requested isn’t being sent quick enough? The only reason I ask because sometimes I notice a quite a delay (10-20 seconds) when I click on a shared network drive to view its contents. Sometime it shows up right away. Or sometimes when I scan the network for computers near me it take 20-30second for an answer. There’s only 3 computers on the network, now can it take so long? My network skills are only self-taught and I’m wondering If I don’t have something setup correctly. All my systems use Windows XP Home edition. I have NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol installed. What do you think?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do you run wired or wireless? Do you have a router/switch on your network? I bet that intermittant delay is causing a problem. Is your network set up to run full duplex? ie. communicate both directions at the same time? Do you have any problems accessing the internet over your network?

Don't worry, my network knowledge is self taught too.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Sage

Are you trying to use SageRecorder to view live TV while SageTV is also using it as a network encoder? If so, that's not supported. Network encoders essentially need to be left alone since they're under the control of SageTV.