SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

DVD AC3 Audio TV-Out Alternatives - Help

I'm just building my first PVR out of an old Dell GX240 and a PVR-350. Upon installing SageTV, I saw that it had the ability to show other video files. I was pleasantly surprised as I can now show my home videos on my TV (or so I thought). Unfortunately, my new camcorder is a JVC model which records directly to DVD/AC3 and the PVR-350 does not support this format. So, sadly I'm looking at possibly having to purchase another output card that does. But before I jump, I thought I would do a little research first (I did not when I bought the 350).

All I want to do is to watch/schedule/record TV, and use the Multimedia features of SageTV (show home videos, photos, music). I'm not interested in watching DVD's as I have a DVD player for this, however I need the capability of watching home 'dvd' movies (MPEG2 and AC3). Quick remote/osd response time is important as I have children who are very impatient.

I will not be connecting my Dell PVR to any computer monitor. It is a black box sitting next to the TV. I use Remote Desktop to access Windows if I need to.

I need the installation to be simple (my wife thinks I spend too much time on these projects to begin with). I probably will keep the 350 for encoding as it is a hassle to send it back.

So I think I'm looking for a good solution for on-board decoding that will work well in Sage and provide me with TV out, recording, AC3 output and possible MP3 (for music?).

I see that the Sigma Designs XCard looks like it has these features but there's a very scary thread about this card being slow and needing connection to a video card. Is this true? Are there other reasonable options (say under $100?).

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year - Mark.