SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:36 AM

Replacing PVR250 Infrared remote receiver

I have been running my PVR for a year now and to be honest I don't have any major complaints. The only thing that annoys me is the tiny infrared receiver that came with my PVR250. Since I have a mini case for my PVR and it is sitting besides our TV, I just don't like the cable to dangle in the front side. So I found a product that might help me with this problem. It is basically a USB infrared receiver: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA3002.htm ,what I need to know is:

Will this work with my PVR250 remote? Will it work with SageTV? And if it will improve the range (left to right angle)? I don't need it to work too far away from my TV, but I have noticed that I need to point the remote pretty much directly at the current receiver to get it working!

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

No.
Look at the specs. Your Consumer IR (Home remotes)- CIR, Remote IR and ASK-IR are very different from IrDA (FIR, MIR, SIR).

Remote IR and ASK-IR are very low speed and low frequency (but very long range) uses for IR. They operate around 2400 baud.

SIR operates at higher rates, and is meant for long range transmission where you need more than a few characters pass through (unlike a remote control).

MIR is a little faster (less range), but with speeds up to 1.15 Mbps, and FIR (where the devices have to be practically touching) is 4Mbps. The range is inversely proportional to the speed you can send data at.

IrDA is usually built into the motherboard and is used to transmit data between PDAs, printers, etc.

Replace your receiver with a USB-UIRT and use your PVR250 remote with it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Thanks Gerry, I guess all those acronyms confused the heck out of my when I was reading the specs...