SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage User

SageTV Client Across Internet - anyone?

Can someone please shed any light on running SageTV client (v4) over the Internet?

I have a flawlessly running setup of SageTV V4 - server and client - running at home and on the home network where I can watch TV from all PCs running the client software. I have a typical home network setup with a Linksys router (BEFSR41) connecting the network to the Internet (Comcast in Maryland is my ISP).

I am now trying to explore the possibility of viewing my TV when on the road using SageTV client running on my laptop. I am wondering what ports need to be opened on the router, if the SageTV server needs to be in the DMZ, etc. to get things going. Is SageTV server-client inherently capable of running across a public network - assuming bandwidth is available.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Sage Icon

Unless you have some monster out-bound bandwidth at home, it's not going to work to view video. Typically your outbound bandwidth is fairly small (for instance, the best outbound that our ISP Charter handles is 384k, not nearly enough to stream video, even at the slowest speeds sage supports, xvid/divx compression non-withstanding).
Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
To answer your question, yes, you either have to Forward the ports SageTV server uses, which is the safest, or put your computer in the dmz and forward all ports to it. Also you have to turn off or allow those same ports through any firewall you are running on the machine, which I would assume you have taken care of already since you are probably using it now.

Like Heffe2001 said, you have to have a good upload speed to be able to do it. At a minimum with the current encoders you need 1Mbps upload, but pro bably around 4-5 to be safe. Download could be anything these days.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Sage User

I wanted to do the same thing and found that Orb which is free from orb.com does exactly what I wanted. It streams your TV, Video, Audio and Pictures from any PC with Windows XP. Your Windows XP PC will be the server and the client can be almost any internet enabled device such as other PC's, PDA's and Smartphones. You will have to use trial and error for the best results in your own situation. It works quite well for me even with a wireless ISP.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Orb works well, but you need some serious CPU horsepower to transcode on the fly. You'd want at least an Athlon X2/Pentium D.