SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfutscher
Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that when you multiplexed elementary video, audio, and data streams together you get a complete program in one stream, a program stream.

When you multiplex several program streams together, for example channels 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, you have a transport stream. A stream that the station can send to the transmitter.
Yes and no.

Yes, a Program Stream can contain one, and only one, "channel".

No, a Transport Stream is not just multiple PS's muxed together, it's a different way of muxing MPEG content.

Basically, MPEG PS is designed for storing files, and for easy demuxing over a reliable trasmission system, eg playing from an HDD.

MPEG TS, is designed for streaming one to many "channels" over a less reliable transmission system. Eg for broadcasting several digital channels OTA.

This page seems to be a good overview (direct link resulted in screwed up page):
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

As far as recording goes... Sage only records a single program from the TS, and since our transmition systems are pretty reliable/robust, there's not much difference. The primary determining factor is if the apps you want to process the recordings with are looking for PS or TS streams.

A couple of examples:
TS Reader can't deal with PS
ShowAnalyzer can't deal with TS
Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
This page seems to be a good overview (direct link resulted in screwed up page):
Thanks for the link. Knowledge is always good.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Sage Icon

Small issue, with 4.1.3, but don't know if it was fixed in ..4, since it wasn't mentioned.

Once you select another STV file other than the SageTV3.XML (or whatever it's called), such as SageMC169.stv, you can no longer select an XML file in the menu. You have to go edit the sage.properties file to put an XML file back.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Technically that's a problem that was "fixed" in 4.1.3. The 4.1.3 (official) STV does not have that problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Technically that's a problem that was "fixed" in 4.1.3. The 4.1.3 (official) STV does not have that problem.
Ah, so what you are saying, is the non-default STV needs to implement code to allow XML file loading, correct?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Most/All the prior STVs filtered out everything but .stv files when listing STV files that you could load; so to be able to load .xml files, the STV has to be modified to allow such files to be listed... like the v4.1+ STV does. It isn't a bug; it is simply a new capability that older STV files don't have.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any one else experiencing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave
I have noticed that when recording 3 shows at once, my CPU jumps from the teens (12 -15%) when recording 2 shows at once to 100%. It seems to stay at 100% until it finishes recording. I have 2 PVR 500s and one PVR 150, so a total of 5 at a time possible. I did not see this prior to the 4.x release. (Did not use 4.1.3 long enough to see if it showed the behavior.) However even at 100% the system seems extremely responsive. In service mode is it designed to take up all available CPU?

I have 5 clients that say connected all the times (one of them is now the built in supported MVP).

Has anyone one else seen this.
?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes and no.

Yes, a Program Stream can contain one, and only one, "channel".

No, a Transport Stream is not just multiple PS's muxed together, it's a different way of muxing MPEG content.

Basically, MPEG PS is designed for storing files, and for easy demuxing over a reliable trasmission system, eg playing from an HDD.

MPEG TS, is designed for streaming one to many "channels" over a less reliable transmission system. Eg for broadcasting several digital channels OTA.

As far as recording goes... Sage only records a single program from the TS, and since our transmition systems are pretty reliable/robust, there's not much difference. The primary determining factor is if the apps you want to process the recordings with are looking for PS or TS streams.

A couple of examples:
TS Reader can't deal with PS
ShowAnalyzer can't deal with TS

Will using the program stream make it easier to skip commercials? I have not setup commercial skip yet but would like to. All I record is HD, so I would like a simple solution to edit the commercials out. It looks like it is easy to do with analog channels. I was just wondering if I could use this same method with HD now that it records with PS.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman
Will using the program stream make it easier to skip commercials? I have not setup commercial skip yet but would like to. All I record is HD, so I would like a simple solution to edit the commercials out. It looks like it is easy to do with analog channels. I was just wondering if I could use this same method with HD now that it records with PS.

Thanks,
Chad
I think SA should be able to process HD if you record it as a PS.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I think SA should be able to process HD if you record it as a PS.
SA? Sorry I am a comskip noob)

I was looking at this plugin:

http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/ComSkip

Do you recommend a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 12-24-2005, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I started an answer, but I think this post contains everything I wanted to say

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...62&postcount=5
Old 12-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wow just set this up and it works great! Only tried it on a few one hour shows, but it seemed to work great. I will see how it works the next few days. SA does eat a lot of processer power when running.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 12-25-2005, 04:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wow just set this up and it works great! Only tried it on a few one hour shows, but it seemed to work great. I will see how it works the next few days. SA does eat a lot of processer power when running.

Thanks,
Chad
It uses whatever extra cpu power is available. It will give up the cycles if other programs need to use the CPU so it shouldn't bog down your system.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
4. Fix: no sound in some TV program bug for ATSC recording
I tried to edit a program with VideoRedo and it could not find any audio stream. It appears that this is a problem with one station, but I haven't tried them all. Sage played back the program with audio.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to vuego
Version 4.1.4 still has the bug where setting media_player_uses_system_volume=false makes volume reset to max on every channel change. Very annoying

When starting the channel change Sage move the volume slider all the way to the left when system_volume=false. Then when the new channel is tuned it moves all the way to the right. Sounds like a mute on channel change but why not when system_volume=true? Maybe this is possible to disable?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Thanks,
Chad
You can also limit that amount of processor power. I have mine set to 30%.

Also, if you are using the "free" version, it's VERY much more processor intensive than the "normal" (paid) version. For $10, you can't beat the performance.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Sage User

haali media splitter

“haali media splitter” doesn’t seem to work with SageTV’s media player. Anytime I try to play an ogg or mkv video file I get a playback error. If I uninstall the splitter they play but I can’t choose an audio stream. If the video has two streams they both play at the same time. I watch a lot of anime that is usually encoded with more then one audio stream and “haali media splitter” is the only splitter I know of that you can set defaults audio steams and sub title preferences.

Here is a link to haali media splitter: http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

Has anyone been able to get this working in SageTV?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfutscher
I tried to edit a program with VideoRedo and it could not find any audio stream. It appears that this is a problem with one station, but I haven't tried them all. Sage played back the program with audio.
I followed the directions to change the record option to transport stream. I can now edit the program with VideoReDo.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Sage User

Anyone experiancing no folder structure with wmv and asf files? The latest official version of Sage broke the folder structure and now all wmv and asf files show up in my videos with no folders. The beta hasnt fixed it and recreating the imports is a no go. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi

I have just upgraded to the latest beta v4.1.4 and I find that pressing the Ok button now seems to register twice in the imported videos menu. For example selecting a folder sometimes opens that folder and then the next folder level as well. Or pressing imported video sometimes navigates straight back to the media library menu because the cursor is on Back by default.

Other menus function as expected and using the mouse works fine.

I am using the Hauppauge 45 button remote with a USB-UIRT. Anybody else seen this behaviour?

thanks