SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

UI Lockups

I'm running 4.0 both as a service and UI on one computer and on another computer as a client and have the same problems on both. Sometimes my UI will just freeze up. It get he little spinning sage icon and it never goes away. It happens in any STV and usually when I'm performing a delete of a file or fastforwarding a file. I'm running a hardwired 100base network and seem to have gotten this problem since I upgraded to 4.0 Also, I'm running Java 1.5 r6 on both machines. Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

As I've posted in another thread, I get similar problems if I place my computer in standby. I'm new to Sage so unfortunately have not tried earlier versions.

Despite liking the Sage interface and scheduling options, I'm actively looking for alternatives. I just can't stand hearing fans going if I'm not watching/recording a show.

So far, BeyondTV and gbpvr both wake from standby just fine so it's not likely my hardware. Neither has the rich scheduling options that SageTV has so it's a tough choice.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigfink
Also, I'm running Java 1.5 r6 on both machines. Any ideas?
I'd try uninstalling Java and re-installing Sage, which will automatically install an older version of Java. I haven't seen any reports on r6 yet (but I did start a thread asking), but prior versions did have issues. There are threads on it here and in the beta forum.

Last edited by Goodspike; 12-20-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
I'd try uninstalling Java and re-installing Sage, which will automatically install an older version of Java. I haven't seen any reports on r6 yet (but I did start a thread asking), but prior versions did have issues. There are threads on it here and in the beta forum.
Yep, I agree .... I back rev'ed Java early on when I got intermittent lock-ups after moving to v.4.0. Used what installed with Sage ... Lock-ups stopped ... until recently when it got worse, but I know that's not Java ...
Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't have UI lockups my problem is just direct tv serial tuning to multiple command set boxes. I had actually jumped back to Beyond TV because it muiltiple command set boxes well. Then I saw the built in mvp support for sage so i'm giving it another try but I had to yet again split my encoders between servers to be able to use all of my direct tv boxes. I don't want to use ir and I shouldn't have to use 2 servers if I have enough pci slots in one to do the job but at the moment that's what I have to do. After switching back to Beyond TV there were things that sage ddid that I really was accustomed to, like scheduling, com skip and a few other things. I really hope they can reslove this, if not I'll have to jump back to BeyondTV because a server is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited by that_kid; 12-20-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok...2 things..
1 - I was using FSE Mode, and with Java 1.5, I guess there is a problem with that, so I removed 1.5. I want to continue to use FSE, it looks great on my TV
2 - I installed Java 1.4.2.10 and I'm going to give that a try. Hopefully it will fix up my stability problems. I will test tonight when I get home from work. Also, after I uninstalled Sage and re-installed it (I also removed all the java's) Sage did not re-install java, so I put 1.4.2.10 per the advice I saw on the forums to use the latest 1.4 if you are using FSE.

Let me know if I missed anything.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Sage Expert

Odd Java didn't install. Did you reboot after uninstalling the newer java?