SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Sage Icon

Question 4.0 to 4.1.3 Upgrade Question

I have read the post that stated upgrading to SageTV 4.1.3 from 4.0 is not a problem by simply installing in the same directory.

In my 4.0 install I have copied the original "SageTV3.stv", remove Read-only and renamed the copy to "My SageTV3.stv". I have also installed many STVi plug-ins as well as the imports like WRS. I have also made minor text changes with Studio.

So the question is ... after backing up my entire SageTV folder (I always do this anyway) ... if I just run the 4.1.3 setup and install in the same directory and follow the wizard all over again, am I hearing all of the items I mentioned the paragraph above will continue to function properly??

Not that I don't believe what I thought I heard, but would love to be able to upgrade without having to go through all of my incremental customizations all over again. Validation = confidence!

Thanks, T.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Sage Icon

After updating, you could just change the stv to "my sagetv3.stv" from the new SageV3.xml file that will be defaulted.

edit:
Loading an older stv worked fine for me. However, you will not be able to load up a new .xml style STV through Sage, you will have to edit your sage(client).properties file back to an .xml STV to be able to see available .xml files

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-16-2005 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
After updating, you could just change the stv to "my sagetv3.stv" from the new SageV3.xml file that will be defaulted.
- Do you mean go back and point to my 4.0 "My SageTV3.stv" in the 4.1.3 Detailed Setup, or

- Rename the 4.1.3 stv to "My SageTV3.stv", or

- Edit the SageV3.xml (not familiar with this yet) to point to "My SageTV3.stv"?

Sorry, if I sound dumb ... haven't figured 4.1.3 out yet ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Sage Icon

Sage 4.1 now supports .xml style STV's in additon to .stv STV's.

When you update to 4.1, Sage will load up a new default SageV3.xml, but you can change it to your old customized .stv just like you used to do. No problem there, works just fine.

The issue comes up if you want to change back to a .xml style STV, the older STV's had no knowledge of .xml STV's, so you can't select them when trying to change your STV. You would need to edit the .properties file to an .xml STV.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks a lot ke6guj ...

Part of me is struggling with this one ... I don't have an MVP and after reading of some of the upgrade threads with issues, I am not sure of what real benefits a regular Sage Server user would get by upgrading??

I know you said 4.1 is still compatible with old STVi's, but wonder if this means developers will now port all of their stuff over to XML plug-ins and eventually drop supporting STVi's??

Other than staying current, is there anything that should be compelling me to upgrade or wait for the next release??

Thanks Again, T.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

I dunno, I myself rolled back to 4.0 because of the .wmv import issue.

I also couldn't get my spare MVP to completely work, it would crash when trying to play a file. Fiqured I'd wait and see what happens since I don't need MVP support right now.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Sage Icon

Yea ... may just hang and leave well enough alone ... for now

Thanks, T.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Administrator

STVi files are really just STV files that were given a different extension & were meant to update an STV when imported via that option in Detailed Setup. Studio now saves its files in XML format, but all the same API calls & hooks are still there. This means that imports can still be created -- in fact, the XML files can be given the extension of .stvi, since SageTV checks the contents of the file to determine its format, not the extension.

So... will the existing imports be converted over to XML format? Probbaly eventually, when they need to be updated for whatever reason (default STV changed enough that the import doesn't import properly, for example), but as long as an import continues to function, there is no need to do anything to it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the explanation Andy ... I appreciate the feedback ...

It sounds like existing STVi's are not going to be a problem for a while, but I guess I should expect that developers will probably go the XML route for the future ... which does bring up another interesting concern for staying with 4.0. If they do, then would we be able to take advantage of future desirable plug-ins that are XML based? Would simply renaming .XML to .STVi make them work in 4.0?? Hmmm ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Sage

The only way that V4.0 can read XML files is from the Open XML Files command in the Studio. V4.1 and above do automatic file type detection by looking at the first few bytes of the file (STV files starts with 'WIZ').
Old 12-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
The only way that V4.0 can read XML files is from the Open XML Files command in the Studio. V4.1 and above do automatic file type detection by looking at the first few bytes of the file (STV files starts with 'WIZ').
I figured as much ... So that may be the real motivator for me to go 4.1 in the future ... new desirable plug-ins not supported in the STVi format ...

Thanks, T.

Last edited by mightyt; 12-17-2005 at 04:18 PM.