SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

Looking to Buy Sage Bundle

Hello - can someone help me. I'm a little confused by the online store at Sage. They offer a bundle (SageTV Dual-Tuner Bundle & Remote) for $229. But, I don't know if the remote includes the Remote USB infrared receiver. I'm thinking I would need that if I will be operating the remote at the computer workstation and not at the server.

Also, I notice the Hauppage remote has more buttons....is it better to have more buttons? It appears that Sage cannot program two buttons (such as *1, *2, *3, *4, etc...for many different assignments). In other words, suppose one wants to program more Sage commands than available buttons on their remote?

Also, does anyone know the license agreements for the clients? Is it that you have to have separate clients for each computer or you can only run a particular client on a particular computer at one time. In other words, suppose I would never watch TV on two specific computers at the same time...could they then run the same client or do you still need to buy a separate client?

I'm down near the end of my eval period and I want to purchase this and I've already ordered a server but I'm going to get whatever hardware I can from Sage. I'm kind of surprised with the nice attractive bundles they have that they don't have a bundle which includes client software and a remote with usb cable.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

You should check out PCAlchemy.com - they sell SageTV bundles too. $245 can get you the PVR500, NVidia Decoder, Remote AND USB UIRT.

Sorry - looked again, no Remote in the bundle but you could just get a standard universal remote.

Last edited by dbfresh23; 12-13-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Sage Icon

What is a NVidia decoder? I'm assuming the USB UIRT is what the computer needs to understand the commands from the remote.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

The Nvidia DVD Decoder is software to decode the MPEG2s that SageTV Records. You don't need it, but most people would probably agree that you get pq during playback. It also supports some features that the standard SageTV decoder does not and can be used at the DVD decoder so you can watch DVDs in SageTV if you wanted.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Hello - can someone help me. I'm a little confused by the online store at Sage. They offer a bundle (SageTV Dual-Tuner Bundle & Remote) for $229. But, I don't know if the remote includes the Remote USB infrared receiver. I'm thinking I would need that if I will be operating the remote at the computer workstation and not at the server.
The remote in that bundle says it is a Streamzap, which comes with its own receiver. I don't use that remote, so I can't comment on how good it is. But, it doesn not need to be used on the same PC as the tuner, nor does the PVR-500 in that bundle come with a Hauppauge remote.

Quote:
Also, I notice the Hauppage remote has more buttons....is it better to have more buttons? It appears that Sage cannot program two buttons (such as *1, *2, *3, *4, etc...for many different assignments). In other words, suppose one wants to program more Sage commands than available buttons on their remote?
Then you need a different remote w/more buttons. If you used a USB-UIRT as a receiver on th eclient PCs, you could use almost any remote you want.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know the license agreements for the clients? Is it that you have to have separate clients for each computer or you can only run a particular client on a particular computer at one time. In other words, suppose I would never watch TV on two specific computers at the same time...could they then run the same client or do you still need to buy a separate client?
The Client is licensed per-PC, not per-use, so you need a license for each PC it will be installed on.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.