SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Sage User

Problem with PX-TV402U and SageTV 4.0

I have a PX-TV402U and think that SageTV is the only great program that interfaces with it, except that when it is used with time shifting enabled the audio gets progressivly off. By 45 minuets it is very noticable. I've read that disabling Time shifting will remedy the problem

I couldn't find a way to disable this feature in Version 2.28, so I tried downloading the new Trial and everything is fine until I indicate that I do not wish to have Time shifting and I get the following error whenever anything tries to record.

There was a capture error in playback Details: error(-2,0x80004005). There was a problem using a sageTV component. Please re-install the SageTV Application.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

After you made the change in Sage did you quit Sage? (Not sleep) And then restart Sage?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Sage User

Just for good measure I did a fresh install of windows and the drivers for my plextor PX-TV402U. Installed Sage 4.0 from the demo and configured it. Then before doing anything else disabled the mpeg 4 time shifting option and restarted the program. I set my default quality to Divx Home Theater Highest Quality and tried a timed record.

Same error occurs.

I use ghost to do fast fresh installs of windows and my ghost doesn't include anything but windows, windows updates, and drivers for the basic hardware on the system. Nothing extra. Is there something else I should install aside from the drivers for the capture card and sageTV itself?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Sage User

Mike I use the PX-TV402U and got that error once after a fresh install of SageTV4.0. I remedied it by unplugging the power to the Plextor and then reloading the Plextor driver on my PC. When I reconnected the power everything worked and I have not gotten that same error again (knock on wood)
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the sugestions, but no go. I've tried and it doesn't seem to work. Here is something interesting though whenever I try to start the SageTVservice, it crashes, and windows asks if I want to send out an error report, I send it and it doesn't take me to the page where m$ tells me that it is a device driver problem or something, it just sits there. Same thing multiple times. Could that have something to do with this?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage User

Quick question....it the ready to record LED light lit?

Secondly, I am very new to this, but I would suspect that error message you are getting would have everything to do with your problems. Without the SageTV service, that LED will not light and you will not be able to record....or watch TV.

Good Luck
Old 12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Mike,
I have had this problem off and on- never really got to the bottom of it. I just allow timeshifting now.

But when I had this problem earlier- plextor driver reinstall usually fixed the issue-
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Sage User

Ok, I tried it again

Fresh install of windows
Fresh install of Plextor Drivers
Fresh install of SageTV 4
Basic configuration with no special changes such as recording quality or time shifting.

Started the sageTV service with no trouble.

Tried a time record and it went without a problem

changed the default quality from Best (mpeg-2) to Divx Home Theater Highest Quality.

Tried Time Record with no problems.

Disabled Tine Shifting

Tried timed record, No Go.

I guess that this is just a Bug in the program. Everything else works perfect with that single exception.

I'm willing to test any theory, so throw'em out there. We'll figure this out, because if virtualdub can do it sage should be able to handle it easy.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Sage User

I neglected to mention that I am running WindowsXP Media Center 2005. Could that be a contiributing factor?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson
I neglected to mention that I am running WindowsXP Media Center 2005. Could that be a contiributing factor?
Have you turned off and disabled the MCE services that start with MCE? You probably have or you would be having issues accessing the Plextor, I would think.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Sage User

This is news to me...MCE doesn't support the Plextor!!?!! Hopefully the MCE of Vista will include support **keeping fingers crossed**
Old 12-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

MCE does not support Plextor- so that should not be an issue.
If your tuners are not configured to work under MCE- running sage should not be a problem I think- could be wrong here- but I use GBPVR to record off a Plextor in MCE- and have an EMUZED configured in MCE- so I assume for the purpose of discussion- individual control of hardware should be possible.

Mike- thanks for posting your results. I will give these changes a try today and see if it makes a difference- and I agree that if other softwares can do it- then so should Sage- also- this was a feature of the earlier sage versions- so definitely a bug somewhere.

I am surprised that so few of us have problems/ complain.....Hardware or software- this issue needs addressing- for the few of us who use Plextors under sage/ have problems with it.....
Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Disabled Tine Shifting

Tried timed record, No Go.
Could you take a look at the sage.properties files to check if there is a conflict- or can you manually set mpeg4 timeshit to false.....maybe a UI- props link problem.....just throwing out ideas here- don't know where the issue comes from.

Another possible option is- when sage gives error- shut down sage- unplug, power cycle plextor and reconnect- restart sage after device detection and try again-

Third option- repeat the above- but before shutting down sage- remove plextor as a device from the recording schedule- restart everything and then add plextor again- try again....

Mike- I'm just throwing out some ideas here.....will go home and try out some these things myself- keep us posted on how things go.....lets keep this thread alive- until these issues are fixed-
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have a PX-TV402U and think that SageTV is the only great program that interfaces with it, except that when it is used with time shifting enabled the audio gets progressivly off. By 45 minuets it is very noticable. I've read that disabling Time shifting will remedy the problem

I couldn't find a way to disable this feature in Version 2.28, so I tried downloading the new Trial and everything is fine until I indicate that I do not wish to have Time shifting and I get the following error whenever anything tries to record.

There was a capture error in playback Details: error(-2,0x80004005). There was a problem using a sageTV component. Please re-install the SageTV Application.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the Intervideo app and Plextor GoCap tools that came with the ConvertX installed? If you do, run the Plextor Gocap tool and try a couple of different profiles. I tend to run the Plextor in MPEG-2 mode as its just easier.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred
Do you have the Intervideo app and Plextor GoCap tools that came with the ConvertX installed? If you do, run the Plextor Gocap tool and try a couple of different profiles. I tend to run the Plextor in MPEG-2 mode as its just easier.
I have both of those applications and as part of testing I have tried them out and they both work 100/100. I have avoided installing them as part of my basic install because I want to run the lightest PVR on this machine as I can. Just the essentials. The only reason I prefer the divx mode over mpeg2 is it is beyond easy to cut adds out of divx files from within Virtualdub.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by naln
Could you take a look at the sage.properties files to check if there is a conflict- or can you manually set mpeg4 timeshit to false.....maybe a UI- props link problem.....just throwing out ideas here- don't know where the issue comes from.
Tired this and if you change it manually the change is reflected in the UI. No luck.

Trying the others one by one after fresh installs so that we get consistant results.

Does anyone know the nature of the Error itself? It speaks of a sagetv module. Is there any way to track down which module it is coming from? Could that answer any quesitons for us?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

The disabling of sage service etc did not work for me.

I will try to disable mpeg4 time shifting and report back latger tonight when Sage is not recording anything.

As for the error codes- I think there is no way to track it to a specific place- I think it is sort of generic based on the response I got earlier on a related question. So it seems that UI error messages are more generic rather than custom-

Also regarding earlier questions about PlexGoCap etc- I think we have all tried the plextor with different softwares and have been very successful- I have tried WinDVR, GBPVR and PlexGOCap- recordings seem fine-