SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

Recording Quality Modes

Hello - I'm curious as to what recording quality most use when recording movies. I suppose most would easily get away with a basic quality for recording the news and stuff but what do most feel is good when recording movies?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

That usually comes down to whatever you think is good enough for your eyes. For me, the best one for default use is "Best", which is about 3GB/hour. I can't tell much difference between it & 'live tv' w/the cable connected directly to the TV. Then, for some favs that don't need high quality, I set those to use some lower recordnig rate.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Sage Icon

Anything that looks good and burns quickly (does not need reencoding).
Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Sage Icon

I guess what I'm thinking is that 2gb / hour is nice in that you can fit at least a 2 hour movie on a standard dvd where you can't with 3 gb / hour. How noticeable is the difference between the two? Also, how do they look for regular vs. high definition?

Finally, I was thinking that at 2 gb / hour, one could only fit around 100 movies on a 400 gb hard drive....not a whole lot but certainly nicer than the inconvenience of having to find DVD's.

Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Finally, I was thinking that at 2 gb / hour, one could only fit around 100 movies on a 400 gb hard drive....not a whole lot but certainly nicer than the inconvenience of having to find DVD's.
I encoded my entire DVD collection into Mpeg-4 AVC files. They average out at about 450MB per 2hr movie and the quality is great. I have over 1000 movies from DVD and recorded TV movies and I just passed the 400GB barrier (416 to be exact).
I use Max Mpeg-2 setting 12mbit/s which comes out to be about 5.5GB/hr.

If you plan on burning to DVD then stick with 2GB/hr but f you want t leave them on pc you might want to give encoding them a try.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Sage Icon

How do I get that mpeg4 quality mode at 450mb per movie - is there a download somewhere?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Sage Icon

A few questions:

1. I guess I'm a little confused. You said you record at the max 5.5 gb/hour setting and then I guess you encode them at Mpeg-4 AVC files? If so, how long does it take to encode a movie?

2. Also, is it possible to just record directly in the mpeg 4 setting?

3. Once in the mpeg 4 avc mode, does one decode it to burn to a dvd if they want to and if so how long does it take and what software is used?

4. Where do I get to software to encode into mpeg 4 avc and is this similar to the divx format? A while back I tried encoding something in DivX and it seemed to take forever.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Any responses to the above...I'm wondering about how to get it in this quality.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
A few questions:

1. I guess I'm a little confused. You said you record at the max 5.5 gb/hour setting and then I guess you encode them at Mpeg-4 AVC files? If so, how long does it take to encode a movie?
Couple hours probably, depending on the speed of your machine.

Quote:
2. Also, is it possible to just record directly in the mpeg 4 setting?
The only thing that can do that is the Plextor ConvertX 402U. And responses to it didn't seem too glowing.

Quote:
3. Once in the mpeg 4 avc mode, does one decode it to burn to a dvd if they want to and if so how long does it take and what software is used?
I think dvd_maniac is just burning the files on as data (or not burning them). If you want to make DVD-Video disks, stick with one of the DVD qualities in Sage

Quote:
4. Where do I get to software to encode into mpeg 4 avc and is this similar to the divx format? A while back I tried encoding something in DivX and it seemed to take forever.
Similar, but different. AVC is basically an extension of the MPEG-4 DivX and the like are based on. DivX and the like are based off MPEG-4 part 2, aka MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile). AVC is the extension of that, MPEG-4 part 10, AVC (Advanced Video Coding), resulting in better PQ/higher efficiency. Also called H.264.

Common software for encoding H.264 would be:
Nero Recode/Nero Digital
Quicktime 7 (apparently really crappy on the PC/Windows)
x264 (free) - requires something like Virtualdub.

H.264 will be slower to encode than DivX.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Sage Icon

Do you know if the Nero Recode/Encode will also take DVD's that I have bought and encode them into this format (so that I don't have to constantly insert DVD's and I can just have them all on a hard drive)?

Also - is it the Nero Suite or something I have to buy or will the Nero that comes bundled with a CD drive do it?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Do you know if the Nero Recode/Encode will also take DVD's that I have bought and encode them into this format (so that I don't have to constantly insert DVD's and I can just have them all on a hard drive)?
Not copy protected DVDs

Quote:
Also - is it the Nero Suite or something I have to buy or will the Nero that comes bundled with a CD drive do it?
It's part of Nero Ultra, but bundled Nero doesn't always come with everything.