SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Sage User

PVR 150 problems in V4.0

Hi all,

Over the weekend I built a new computer in order to run V4.0 and have OTA HDTV. In my old computer I used a PVR-250 and a 150(not-MCE) and everything worked fine. In the new computer I use those same two cards and have added an A180 for HD.

The problem I have is that the 150 card will, after a couple of hours, stop recording sound. A little while after that it stops recording video. If I uninstall all the Hauppauge drivers and reinstall them the card works fine for a few hours, then drops the sound and then drops the picture.

I would assume the card is going bad but it seems odd this would happen just when I swich computers. Has anyone had a similar problem?

I have tried swiching the inputs to the two PVR cards so I know they are both getting a good cable signal. I have also tried swiching the two PVR cards PCI slots which did not help either.

Thanks,
Axeman
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Sage Icon

Could it be getting too hot?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Checkout the forums for 150 drivers at www.shspvr.com. I remember seeing something about audio issues on Hauppauge 150s with losing sound. I don't have the issue myself so I didn't pay close attention but I think it sounded similar to your issue with sound dropping out (although I don't remember video dropping out). But it might be worth a look.

Greg
SageTV Client 6.44,Windows XP Pro, MSI K7T Pro, AMD Duron CPU 1 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, , Linksys WMP54GS, ATI 9600SE
Old 12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Sage User

Flavius: I wouldn't think so. The cards are close together but they were in my old computer as well. A thermometer inside the case shows temperatures of 85-95 which doesn't seem too bad.

Wazkaren: I know the problem you are talking about. I had that problem but it was fixed (while still using the old computer) with the beta drivers available from Hauppauge. I'll post in the forum you suggest and see if they have an answer.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

Just to be on the save side: Did you try to produce the error with the case open?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Sage User

Yes I just reproduced the problem tonight with the case off.

And I've stumbled over some new problems. After testing the problem with the case off I removed the A180 card from the system and moved the PVR cards so that there was an empty pci slot between them to provide extra cooling. I ran the hauppauge hardware clear application, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers. When I turned Sage on it only saw one PVR card. I looked in the windows device manager and it saw both cards and said they were both working.

So I began moving the cards to different pci slots. No matter what I did Sage only saw one card. So I got pissed, removed the 150 card and put the A180 back in, determined to buy a new card to replace the 150. But wait!!!! Sage still only sees the PVR250. It doesn't see the A180. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

So now I guess I have to reinstall Sage, set up all my STV's again ect... What a huge pain in the ass. I can't do this tonight so before tomorrow evening I though I'd see if anyone has any suggestions for this new problem before I go through a Sage reinstall that may not fix these problems.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated.

Axeman
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Ya I've been there myself. But once it’s all said and done its well worth the effort. I too am having a problem with the audio just dropping out on my 150. So far I've found a reboot fixes it for awhile, then after a day or few it drops out again. I am convinced that this problem is an issue with signal strength. I am running analog Comcast cable. I also have a PVR-500's and a PVR-250 in the same box. I've gotten a signal amp and when it was in place the problem seemed to disappear. I'm gonna put the signal amp back in place and see.
As to having to reinstall Sage, I'd highly suggest it at this point. Moving a card to another slot can really drive Sage crazy when it comes to existing cards and setup capture devices. I'd say get the hardware installed where ya want it, make sure they are correctly recognized by Windows and not errored out (via the Device Manager). Even give WinTV a spin, as well whatever viewing program that came with the A180. Once things are solid, then install SageTV and set it up for one of the two capture cards. Make sure all is well and then add the other, again testing things out. At this point, I'd venture to guess you are ready to install the STV's and whatnot. Once its all solid, shut things down and back it up. These backups saved me many many times in getting my box just the way I wanted it.

Hope this helps and let us know,
RedR
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Sage

Check the mmc/ignore_encoders property. We found a bug in V4.0 and earlier (fixed for V4.1) which causes it to add a device to the ignore list if you remove it after SageTV has discovered it. (the fix was that it should realize the device isn't currently installed and not add it to the ignore list in that case)
Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Sage User

Narflex: That worked. It had all my cards but one set to ignore. Yea!!! I don't have to reinstall Sage.

As far as my original question I am pretty sure my 150 card is bad. I have had the same problem in every pci slot and with WinTV as well as Sage so I've ordered an M150 card to replace the PVR-150.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

I have been running my 250/M150 combo for 1.5 years now. After the initial issues - the M150 demanded the first pci slot next to the AGP card - I have not had any problems whatsoever.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

My 150 drops audio as well, I don't know why and it's not frequent. I'm using the latest beta drivers for it as well. My conclusion is that there is a problem with the drivers or something like that, not the card.

I'm thinking of buying a 250 to replace it, my 350 is not going back into this computer.