SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

ATI HDTVWonder Svideo causes audio issue

I know my title is confusing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue...

I'm using an ATI HDTV Wonder w/ SageTV4.0, USB-UIRT, Remote Wonder, DirecTV provides for "other than ATSC" video. I can get the ATI applications (yuck) to use SVideo input on the ATI card w/ audio -- no problem.

When I setup 2nd source in SageTV for use of the Svideo output of the DirecTV receiver, I get the picture just fine but the audio is LOUD STATIC/WHITE NOISE. Makes me believe that the application is trying to use analog coax tuner in conjunction with SVideo, presenting the video correctly but audio not so much.

BTW -- attached a piece of coax from DirecTV receiver to ATI HDTVWonder, setup SageTV to use Ch3 -- audio is fine -- video is what you'd expect from coax (gross.)

Thoughts? Anyone else tried this one? Help!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Sage User

Find a fix?

I just purchase an ATIWonder and was trying to hook up an auxillary input via the svideo ATI cable. I found that I have the same issue that you had. Did you get it to work?
Thanks,
Joel
Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Sage User

same problem over here...have been using ver 5.0 and am now testing the 6.0 Trial....video comes in fine, but audio is static white noise....

anyone out there have a solution?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Sage User

Thumbs down Same problem here with the ATI

I have been trying to get the composite side working instead of the S-Video, and I have been having the same problems, the video is just fine, but the audio is just loud white noise. According to the Sage manual, when you add another source such as composite or S-Video, it's supposed to offer a choice of audio drivers... but doesn't... very frustrating. The composite works fine if I use the ATI software.... but no audio on Sage. I hope someone solves this... I was hoping I was just doing something wrong in the setup.

Whats weird is if I remove all sources, and just install the composite source first, then the initial display works fine, but then when I choose "No Tuner", it still tries to set up the tuner.... that's when things go haywire.

And if I get it to take it without using the tuner, how do I go to it using sage, Since Sage expects me to input a channel?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tander View Post
I have been trying to get the composite side working instead of the S-Video, and I have been having the same problems, the video is just fine, but the audio is just loud white noise. According to the Sage manual, when you add another source such as composite or S-Video, it's supposed to offer a choice of audio drivers... but doesn't... very frustrating. The composite works fine if I use the ATI software.... but no audio on Sage. I hope someone solves this... I was hoping I was just doing something wrong in the setup.
I don't know much about this card or whether the analog tuner side should work in SageTV -- it isn't listed outside the OTA HDTV Tuners section of system requirements, so I would guess it isn't supported. But, for an official answer on it, you should contact SageTV tech support.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Sage User

Talking ATI HDTV and Composite

Thanks for the quick reply. However, this has Nothing to do with the analog tuner.... the analog tuner and the Digital tuner work just fine in Sage.

The problem is using the direct signals from either composite or Svideo from the ATI HDTV Wonder... ie., signals already tuned from an outside receiver. The Sage software recognizes both the Svideo, and the Composite signals on the ATI card, but how do you get to those signals without setting up a tuner option, and configure an audio decoder for that source? Yes, it's possible that part is not supported by Sage, but how is that done on other cards such as the Haupauge that uses direct signals as well as the tuners...

In other words, the only option I see in the software is to choose "watch TV" and then either choose a channel, or use the program guide, but I don't see a choice for direct input....

Hope this makes sense..., as others seem to have this question as well. (I won't call it an issue, since both the digital and analog work fine...) I just want to use the direct inputs...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tander View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. However, this has Nothing to do with the analog tuner....
Substitute the word 'encoder' for 'tuner' -- I just meant that it is an analog input for an analog signal, as opposed to the digital input that receives the digital signal & saves it w/o further encoding. For an analog input, the video + audio has to be encoded either by hardware or software before being saved toi a file.

If the card uses a software encoder for its analog inputs, then SageTV has to know how to interact with the card to get the audio included in the recording. If this is the part that you mean isn't working properly, then contact SageTV tech support to see if there is a way to use that card in this way.

When setting up a composite or svideo input, you also have to hook up the audio inputs. Configuration then contionues to tell SageTV whether it should control the external receiver & if so, how to do that -- IR blaster, serial connection, or whatever.

I guess I'll stop there because I'm not sure if I'm answering your question.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzzza View Post
same problem over here...have been using ver 5.0 and am now testing the 6.0 Trial....video comes in fine, but audio is static white noise....

anyone out there have a solution?
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has this issue ever been resolved for anyone?

I found the same thing... I'm trying to feed audio/video through the HDTV Wonder dongle. I'm able to select the S-video or composite options as 'Video Source,' and while for both settings video works great, audio is simply white noise.
I have tried each of the various audio encoding options available, but nothing I selected had any effect.
I even went so far as to unplug the audio cables altogether, but still had the same noise (I half-expected to get silence). Has anyone had any luck with this? Has anyone brought this up to support/had any response?