SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Sage User

Unhappy More Black screens

I was interested to see another thread like this although it may be a different issue, I saw Sage tv 4 released and have now downloaded the trial. On the surface a wonderful update much easier to install and the tv schedule is great. I thought I'd head off to buy it this time as its a solution I've been waiting for since the hardwork of version 3(I'm in canada)

However upon playing about a little, I get this BLACK SCREEN issue this is the video/TV stream only. It seems to turns up after I have put Sage4.0 into sleep mode and then tried to restore it, I thought that was all that caused it but it seems to happen randomly now.
Restarting SAGE does not fix this. Shutting down restarting the PC does not fix this.
Going into the Setup ->Run Configuration Wizard -> Configure Video Playback
running the tests none of them now give an image.
Changing the codecs to the nvidia ones i have does not fix this.
Switching the overlay on and off does not fix this.
Neither do most of the FAQ fixes as I have read the site extensivly this weekend.

I do get the UI, when the video/TV stream turns black. I can move about this and try settings.

If I get the tv guide when its in this state, I select a program from the guide I get ERROR -20 (can't initiate stream whilst trying to record, or something to that effect) Does this help?

The only thing that seems to fix it is to delete the Sage.properties and the autobackup properties. Then go through the setup proceedure again. This mostly fixes the issue. Untill the next time. This is not suitable stablilty for something i want to purchase. Any ideas what could be causing this.

Setup:-
amd64 3200
nvidia nforce 3 mother board in Soltek Mini system
512Ram
2x 80 gig sata drives
FX5600 nvidia graphics card
Hauppage 250 Pci

WINDOWS 2000
Latest directx
tried 4 versions of nvidia drivers (the last 4 versions I have them stocked incase I have issues for testing reasons)
Latest Hauppage drivers all uptodate
Latest Java
Everything isin good shape and Kept upto date.

Going to try copying in the backed up version of the Sage.properties That are stored in a seperate folder the next time this happens to see if this is a quicker fix and to see if its something in there getting hosed.

Apart from that HELP I desperately want a better solution that the default WINTV apps that come with the Hauppage card!

-free4

Oh by the way the remote does'nt want to operate with this version of sage4.0 either. Yet it opperates perfectly with the winTV applications. This is minor currently but would be a pain in the ass at a later date. Any ideas?

Last edited by Freerider4; 11-28-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Do you have 3D Acceleration on? If so, try turning it off. When using overlay, try running SageTV on the primary monitor -- I've noticed that some decoders don't work w/overlay on a secondary monitor while others do.

What recording rate are you using? If trying to play the same show you are recording (live playback), use something like Best or one of the DVD quality rates. (I beliee it is still the case that a few don't work for simulataneous record + playback.)

For the built-in support for the Hauppauge remote, you have to tell the installer to include support for that remote & then choose which remote you are using during configuration. (Or later in Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Control Config.) If you didn't select that option during installation, then see the Hauppauge links in my sig lines -- post 3 in link 1 or post 15 in link 3.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Sage User

I decided to buy 4.0 in the end.

It works.. however i can not make Sage sleep and wake up properly without having to re install it or swap in the properties.. none of the stuff you mentioned helped to be honest Opus. But thanks anyways,

So no sleep function I guess i can live with that although it is a bind when its susposed to work.

-free4
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Sage

If you'd like to help us fix it, you can set the property debug_logging=TRUE and then reproduce the problem and email support your sagetv log file. We'll look into it.