SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Stutter in Live TV and Recordings using VMR 9

Software: Sage TV 4
Codecs: Tried the default Sage and nVidia codecs
CPU: P4 3.02
Mobo: 865PE
Ram: 1GB pc3200
Video: Radeon 9700pro (5.11 drivers)
HD: 120GB WD PATA
TV Tuners: Avermedia A180, Vbox DTA 150

When I view Live TV or recorded TV, I'm getting a lot of stutter when using VMR 9 and 3D acceleration. The stuttering is worse when I'm viewing programs on channels that broadcast in 720p (My TV is 480i, 480p and 1080i only). If I use Overlay, there is no stuttering.

CPU usage seems pretty low, it's between 12 and 25% with DXVA enabled, so I don't think the stuttering is related to CPU usage.

Does anyone have any suggestions (Besides "just use Overlay")?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Try turning on Full Screen Exclusive. It makes DirectX take full control of the sage window, instead of sharing video processing with other windows applications, much like a video game. That helped my setup, though there have been people commenting that they cant get FSE to work for them.

I'm curious, try loading a bunch of other applications in the background and see if the stuttering gets worse. Maybe load up some crazy big digital photos or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Also make sure you are trying to use SageTV on your primary monitor, as set in Windows' Display Properties -> Settings tab. 3D won't work that well on a secondary monitor.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Sage User

SageTV 4 runs on my HTPC which is connected directly to my HDTV. The HDTV IS the only, and hence, primary monitor.

I will try to enable FSE tonight and see what happens. The folks in AVSforum seem to think that the r9700pro is an asstastic card for VMR9 support, and that it is most likely the cause of my problem.

Last edited by Commodore 64; 11-21-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Sage User

I have the same problems when I use vrm9. I have no problem using it in theatertek with no stuttering. It doesnt matter if I use it on a single monitor setup, or 2 monitors with dualview. The only way I can watch sage is in overlay. I am using a 6200tc nvidia card, but have borrowed a 6600 and have the same problem. Any ideas, or should I just use overlay?
Thanks,
Dan

P4 3.2 800mhz Hyperthreading
Intel D925XBC Mobo
2 gig of ram
Haup pvr250
geforce 6200tc
60gb Maxtor ide hd (programs) 7200
400gb SATA Hitachi HD (videos, recordings) 7200
Windows xp home sp2
Theatertek 2.2
Nvidia Codec 8.89 (newest)
Philips Bcool XG1 DLP Projector
Philips LCD 17" Touchscreen monitor
Denon 3803 Receiver
Motorola Digital Cable Box
Old 11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Try VMR9 with FSE (See my post above or in your other thread)
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64
When I view Live TV or recorded TV, I'm getting a lot of stutter when using VMR 9 and 3D acceleration.
Try this. I haven't tried it long enough to make sure it works, but so far so good.

Go to My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance Settings/Advanced and set memory to make best use of System Cache rather than Programs (the default). If you can, try it during MNF, which is on right now.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Sage User

Enabling FSE causes problems for me. Live TV will go completely blank, and I will only get sound.

I will try the memory trick tonight.

Also, I installed the full version of AC3 filter. I find it INCREDIBLY annoying that it installs with SageTV 4, yet there is no way to configure it. --Unless I'm just a dullard and missed something in Sage Setup, I could not for the life of me figure out how to launch the config for AC3 Filter.

I'm a recent convert to SageTV from Media Portal, and I really like the way you can get into Media Portal and pretty much configure anything you want.

Which reminds me. SageTV 4 does not recognize any of the .mkv files that I have encoded. Does anyone have any information about getting SageTV for to import .mkv files?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
Try this. I haven't tried it long enough to make sure it works, but so far so good.

Go to My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance Settings/Advanced and set memory to make best use of System Cache rather than Programs (the default). If you can, try it during MNF, which is on right now.
Today when I tried this, it made the stuttering really bad! Strange.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

I enabled FSE last night and was even able to use the nvidia post processor. As long as Sage was running everything worked. However after an S3 suspend, I lost my video image. Nothing but black. Unenabled FSE and still nothing. Had to reboot Sage to get back video. Anybody got any ideas where to start to fix this? I use clone mode because the response times seem faster if that helps.
XP SP1A; Sage V5.04; ; IN-WIN BT611T Case, custom full height conversion; Asus A7N8X VM/400; AthlonXP 2000, Palomino Core; Thermaltake Volcano 12 heatsink w/ sucking 80mm squirrel-cage fan, Zalman Fan-Mate on 5V, min setting; PNY 512MB PC2700; Gigabyte 7600 fanless, 256MB; 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 250GB; 3 x PVR250MCE; 3 x Hughes E8 OTA HD downconverters; External Fortron 400W Silent w/Performance-PCs.com extension cables; modified ZM-MC1 to 7V & 5V; Evercool 60 & 80mm fans @ 7V; StreamZap Remote