SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

no signal after changing channels

I have recently developed this problem where when watching live TV and I change the channel 2-3 times, I receive a no signal error and the screen freezes. From here I can navigate to a recorded show, start it, and then go back to live TV and everything works again, until I change the channel a couple times. It also fixes the problem when I exit Sage TV and restart it.

It has begun to get worse where I receive the error almost every time that I try to change the channel. This happens when I change the channel from the guide, use the channel up/down buttons, or punch in the channel number.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

I've seen some posts mentioning something like this while usnig an A180. What tuner are you using?

You should probably consider contacting tech support, and include the SystemInfo.txt file that gets created in your SageTV dir when you go to Setup -> System Information and use the Info command. (Ctrl+i)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

My tuner is a Hauppauge PVR-500.

I submitted a CS ticket yesterday, hopefully they will have some information.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Sage User

I had this problem too. I just just reloaded my PC after a drive failure and I decided to try SageTV 4. It only happened in 4, but what I found was that after formatting the data drive that I record to using 64k blocks this problem went away. Might be coincidence, but I think using the small default format tied up the PC too much to be able to keep up. I used to get "no signal", empty guides, empty menus, etc until I reformatted to drive that I write my shows to.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just posted this in hardware support, but figured I would copy it here since the thread is still active.

I was playing around with my preferences this morning and I found the cause of my problem. When the default recording quality is set to any of the SVCD (MPEG-2) options, I receive the "no signal" popup when I change the channel or watch several minutes of live TV. When I change the recording quality to any of the DVD options, this problem goes away completely.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? I would rather record in one of the SVCD modes. I am using the Nvidia mpeg decoder, and have tried switching to the SageTV decoder but the problem persists so this doesn't seem to be the problem. Switching from VMR9 to overlay does not fix it either.

My system is:

WinXP home SP2
p4 2.5GHz
1GB RDRAM
Nvidia 6800GT 256MB AGP8x (Forceware 81.94)
SB Audigy
250GB SATA II HDD
Hauppauge PVR-500 (latest drivers)
SageTV 4.0 (VMR9, Nvidia mpeg decoder, no FSE)
Directx 9.0c
Java 1.5

Thanks for any help,

Carl

As a side note, my media drive is formatted in NTFS 64k clusters.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmolnar
I was playing around with my preferences this morning and I found the cause of my problem. When the default recording quality is set to any of the SVCD (MPEG-2) options, I receive the "no signal" popup when I change the channel or watch several minutes of live TV. When I change the recording quality to any of the DVD options, this problem goes away completely.

Let me know when you find the solution to your problem cause i am having the same issue.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Sage User

Exclamation

I have had this problem for a long time,... tried changing almost every option. Tried stable v3 and every beta i could get my hands on. Posted myself more than once.

so bump/tag/help/

Last edited by DHO; 11-30-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I started having this problem a couple weeks ago, only I would actually have shows not get recorded. What would happen (as far as I can tell) is that Sage would record the favorite, but it would be sitting on "No signal" the whole time, so Sage will have a very small mpg file at the end of the recording and simply delete it and remove it from the recordings list. I think I traced my problem to my descision to upgrade the Hauppage drivers on my PVR-500 to the latest beta. I tried to downgrade the drivers back to the ones I was using, but I still had the problem. Eventually, I just backed everything up, wiped the drive and re-installed XP, Sage, et al. So far (about a week), I have not had the problem re-occur.

Have you upgraded your PVR-500 drivers lately?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

My problem turned out to be the default recording quality. When set to any of the VCD formats, I would receive "no signal" after changing the channel. When I set the recording quality to any of the DVD formats, the problem goes away.

CS forwarded the problem on to the dev team but I have not heard anything since then.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Sage User

Unhappy

I have a Hauppage USB PVR II. Driver 2.2.73.23111 4/21/05. I got this b/c after katrina all I had was my laptop.

It might be a problem with the tuner. It problem started around the same time i changed the settings to SVCD. I'm not sure its was causal, because I **think** channel tuning worked for a bit.

After resetting it backto VCD (both tuner and sagetv settings). I still get the error, but theres no problem tuning into scheduled recordings.

But the card is very wierd. It will not work on another computer, so im assuming some info gets written on it. I have tried their uninstall apps (which their tech suggested), but I have not had the time to see this problem through,....

When you get a no signal,hit 'stop recording' and it will fix the problem (unless there is a scheduled recording).

*shrug* Happy to provide any info/specs to help solve this issue.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Sage User

Got an email today that said this:
"For now try this. Close SageTV and the service if running and open up your
Sage.properties file. Look for this line, "seeker/fast_mux_switch=true" and
change it from true to false. Let me know how that goes."

I tried it and it works!