SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

HD programs become unstable after time

I'm running into a problem where, while watching live HD programs, playback will become unstable within 20 minutes. Here's how it usually happens.

1) I'm watching an HD show and everything plays perfectly.
2) After about 20 minutes the audio and video will suddenly start skipping and quickly become unwatchable.
3) I'll sleep Sage and try to reopen the show, however, I just get the little spinning sage logo and then a blank black screen.
4) I can pretty much try anything at this point, switch decoders, restart the client, or even restart the PC and the show just will not play at all anymore. However, every other show, HD and SD, will play perfectly.
5) Once the recoding finishes I try to watch the show again and now it works perfectly again and I can watch the whole episode without a hitch.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Sage Expert

Sounds like a more severe case of what I'm experiencing. Mine starts later in the show and doesn't get as bad.

I've found pausing for 5 seconds and then trailing live by 5 seconds eliminates the problem on my machine, but I only discovered that this weekend, so I need more testing.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Wow, tonight was a very bad HD night for me. I tried to watch 'My Name Is Earl' after it had finished recording and the time bar went crazy. For instance, I was 10 minutes into the episode and when I checked the time it said I was only at 1 minute. On top of that, fast forwarding and rewinding was a complete crap shot. Either one would randomly take me in either direction. I eventually had to give up and just watch it using WMP. I'm gonna submit these two problems to Sage and see what they say.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've seen the timebar issue on one show I recorded in HD as well, it was stuck at the very end of it on one and said it was 1 minute in length, but it played the whole thing. In another show it would skip forwards at a certain point, and when you rewound it the time display was totally wrong in that it said you were 10 minutes into the show when you were maybe 30 or 40 minutes into it.

I've also seen stuttering with it, but if I exit sage and restart it the stuttering is gone, but it's not consistant.

Somethings odd on playback of HD.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I get the crazy timebar thing too with HD Recordings. I think it's something to do with a small dropout in the signal causing SageTV to lose all timecodes and start over or something when writing the stream. It looks, like the timebar tries to recover but doesn't know where it is.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin
Wow, tonight was a very bad HD night for me. I tried to watch 'My Name Is Earl' after it had finished recording and the time bar went crazy. For instance, I was 10 minutes into the episode and when I checked the time it said I was only at 1 minute. On top of that, fast forwarding and rewinding was a complete crap shot. Either one would randomly take me in either direction. I eventually had to give up and just watch it using WMP. I'm gonna submit these two problems to Sage and see what they say.
That's a known bug that they are working on. It affects about 10% of my recordings in various forms. For that particular one, it's best not to FF too far. On others, you can't FF or REW after you get past a certain point, usually a point within the first 10 minutes.