SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Make Sage Client act more like Tivo Multi-Room Viewing (Buffering)

I recently was using my friends Tivos at his house and realized that I like their "Client" implementation a lot, let me clarify.

When you select a show from one Tivo tha'ts located on a 2nd Tivo, the show is copied from one to the other. You can start watching it at any time, but there's no guaruntee that it'll xfer as fast as you watch it, so it's possible that you'd xfer slower than your watching and have to wait.

As I understand it in SageClient, it uses a small buffer but essentially streams the show from the server to the client. That's all well and good for a wired setup, but many of us are Wireless.

So .... my question/suggestion: anyway to make SageClient actually transfer the video over to the local HD to watch? AND be able to watch it as it's transferring?

That way you could set it to transfer over, wait 10 min and then begin watching, and (hopefully) you'd be able to watch an entire show without it skipping or stuttering due to too slow a xfer speed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Possibility?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to matterw
Snuffy2, that would be a nice feature not only for people like you that use Wireless, but people like me who are recording in HD because the files are so large. I upgraded to GigE and still have issues. If I copy the file locally, then it plays fine... I like this suggestion!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would have thought a solution to this would be to provide a way to increase the buffer size on the Sage client.

Perhaps this could be a user customisable option in future versions?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I guess you're talking about HD recordings, because I have no problem what so ever watching videos wirelessly with sage tv client...

-Steve
Old 11-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I also think that user-defined buffer settings would be a useful addition to SageTV. Each client could have say, a 50mb video buffer. Sage server would send data as fast as possible until the client buffer was full, and then stream the rest of the show. That would work much better than the current system for wireless clients, since wireless typically has good throughput but poor latency.