SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Sage User

I want PIP

I have seen this asked many times but never seen a reply from the Sage people.

Split screen PIP would be a great feature for those with two tuners and a widescreen TV.

Anybody know if it's in the works??

BTW.......Sage v4 Rocks!!! Best build yet and so far very stable.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Sage Expert

No ... still. Besides, that would imply 'live TV' ... ewe, yuck
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

This would not imply live tv. Just two streams seen at one time. I want PIP also.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 11-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Expert

Implies it to me
Old 11-11-2005, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagar
Implies it to me
Split the screen and watch 2 recordings. That ain't live.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

For what ?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
For what ?
Don't know! I'm not asking for it. Heck-I don't even use it on my TV except for the day I bought it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Hmmm... I dont understand what the confusion is. With SageTV, you "can" watch live TV. There's no limitation in SageTV that prevents this; and, it's relatively easy to do for somebody that knows what they are doing in directx. This is a valuable feature for people who like to watch football (when there are two broadcasts going on at the same time).

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-11-2005, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I dont understand what the confusion is.
For my part I was trying to figure out why you'd want to PIP/POP two previously recorded programs. I can (to a degree) see the desire for PIP/POP for LiveTV but I don't use LiveTV enough to care.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
For my part I was trying to figure out why you'd want to PIP/POP two previously recorded programs. I can (to a degree) see the desire for PIP/POP for LiveTV but I don't use LiveTV enough to care.
You hit the nail on the head for me for the most part. I use a PVR app that has PIP. It is nice to watch two sport shows at once, but I find my self mostly watching recorded TV. For the few times I may watch Live TV I would say PIP is a nice feature to have.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

hvcpvr, which PVR app do you use that supports PIP?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-11-2005, 03:11 PM

CTpvr
It is not as feature rich as Sage but it serves my needs.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Interesting software. hmmmm and it has client software.....hmmmmm..Looks like a worthy competitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvcpvr
CTpvr
It is not as feature rich as Sage but it serves my needs.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Don't know! I'm not asking for it. Heck-I don't even use it on my TV except for the day I bought it.

Gerry
LMFAO ... sorry, just having fun
Old 12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

You can have PIP! Or a facsimile:

Just ran across it today... if you use Sage TV Client you can use the startup parameter "-multi" that allows you to start up more that one client on the same computer. So thereby emulating PIP / Split Screen whatever you want to do, as long as you have the resources.

-Steve
Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I think the original post was asking for real PIP (two video windows in the same app.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not to belabor the point, but I did say "Or a facsimile:" Not to mention PIP is "Picture In a Picture" not necessarily in one Application. As applied to TV, I think it has more to do with displaying 2 Channels on the screen at the same time, 1 normally smaller that the other. Who cares if you run two instances to get it?

If it were to be implemented in Sage TV as a button press / feature (and most likely any other TV App) it would most likely just start up another instance as a child process anyway.

-Steve

Last edited by sfisher; 12-04-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

PIP would be a really good addition. I'd also like the ability to switch between live TV tuners. That way, I can watch a live TV show and channel surf on the other tuner during the commercials.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Like I said above, you can do that with Sage Client's -multi Parameter assuming you have 2 tuners, and a separate TV Server. I don't know if you could run Sage Client on the same box as the Sage TV Server App.

-Steve
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe
PIP would be a really good addition. I'd also like the ability to switch between live TV tuners. That way, I can watch a live TV show and channel surf on the other tuner during the commercials.
Channel surf? Commercials? What are those things? Enter the DVR age young one. Schedule your recordings either manually, turn on intelligent recording (and take a couple weeks to "train" it), or through favorties for all the shows you like.

No more channel surfing, it's TV on YOUR terms!! SageTV finds and records your programs and you watch them when it's convenient for YOU, not some idiot in Los Angeles sitting behind a desk at (insert network here).

Then set up either comskip, or Show Analyzer to skip the commercials completely. Ahhh a 1/2 hour sitcom watched in under 20 minutes, a 2 hr TV movie in about 1:15.

You come home and after dinner you sit down on the couch, fire up SageTV and pick what you want to watch NOW, not what might be on if you search through (with apologies to Springsteen) "57 channels and nothin' on".

Embrace the technology, and it will change your television experience forever. You'll find yourself over at a friends house mumbling "Hmmm, my TV doesn't have commercials", and "Ughhhh, why are we watching the community access channel ads, I've got the last 3 episodes of (insert favorite show here) on my SageTV at home".

You'll find that the answer to the question "What's on now?" isn't , "Ok, let's surf through the guide and/or channels", it's "Let's look and see what's in my library of recorded shows"