SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Which home theater seats?

I searched the forum for "furniture" but didn't get any hits...

Which home theater seating are people using - and would actually reccommend?

I looked at Berkline's site, and while I liked the looks in general, There are no dealers within 100 miles of me, where I can actually sit in ones I'm interested. And it seems that they can't be ordered without cup holders which for me is a deal breaker (I want a clean, designer look, and cup holders just ruin the aesthetics for me). I did manage to find one set in a TV store but I wasn't impressed with the build quality/features.

There's a Barcalounger dealer that'll let me customize them the way I wanted but their showroom model wasn't as comfortable as I was expecting - and at $4K for three seats, I wanted to be able to specify the foam density...or at least have more plush comfort. The build quality looked great though.

LazyBoy has color choices that aren't what I'd call contemporary, so they're not even a remote consideration.

Ekornes makes some really nice ones which I would buy in a heartbeat but they rely on ottomans, another deal breaker...

Levitz has a model, but it seems pretty cheap...

So what else is out there?
Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

costco was selling a pretty cool home theatre seat setup. All black leather with cup holders and remote door, etc...

found it:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...1036581&pos=0F

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

He said he didn't want cupholders
Old 11-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

What I'd like is something more like these in the links below, only the New York store where I found them refuses to ship them to the west coast.

These look a lot like a modified Ekornes Stressless design only Ekornes thinks everyone should use seperate ottomans which just waste space when they aren't being used. The color in the photo sucks but you get the idea.

http://www.hilinehome.net/media/Ranier.jpg

If these "GTO" models below had foot rests I'd drive them home from New York myself. These look hot.

http://www.hilinehome.net/media/GTO.jpg
Old 11-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm - I'm surprised to not see any responses.

Anyway, for anyone who cares, I found that Jaymar makes some reasonably stylish solutions, what looks to me like good build quality, and come without cupholders by default. Looks like they're the way to go. I even found a local retail showroom that has floor models.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Sage User

Try AVSForums. They should be able to help you out.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

In case anyone is interested, the store where I found these has reconsidered after reading forums like this one and realizing how frustrated people like me are in trying to find something different and high end.

Turns out they're really great to work with and even managed to arrange to have W.Schillig ship to a West Coast port which will cut the delivery cost in half. So now I'm really excited. I decided to go with the GTO chairs as individual recliners (they do have a footrest option :->) since I don't have room for the wall clearance that a "sofa" arrangement would take. It's going to be hard to wait the 4 months for them to ship but it'll be worth it. I'm going to post a URL, not as an ad but because they're so cool looking and someone else might be interested. http://www.hilinehome.net/media/
Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Keith,

I was curious what price range the GTO's fall into? With the footrest option?

Thanks in advance!

-PGPfan
Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't know if it's appropriate to post prices here...you really need to talk to them (Hiline) since it depends on the grade of leather you go with. If you've priced the higher end Ekornes recliners, it's roughly in that ballpark.