SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Sage User

Upgraded, "SageTV Recordings" now blank

I upgraded from one of the V3 betas to V4. Very nice! But due to an installation glitch, I had to delete the entire Sage directory (it is still in my Recycle bin) and install fresh. I had to go through the setup wizard again, but things seem to be working OK.

My problem is that the SageTV Recordings menu is blank (except for a couple of shows that I recorded since upgrading). All my previous recordings are available under Media Center, Imported Videos. But there are no directories by show - all the files appear in the same list.

Is there any way to re-generate or recover the nice directory structure I previously had under SageTV Recordings?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Did you make a backup copy of your previous installation? You need to keep wiz.bin during a version upgrade or you will lose all recording info, viewing hostory, favorites, etc.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

The same happened to me going from 2.2.7 to 4.0. Deleted the ../frey technologies/..... dirs and installed V4 fresh. Then I moved my old wiz.bin and sage.properties to the new installation then started SageTV for the first time. I went through the wizzard and ended up with all my recordings, including the archived in the improrts.

When you look in the Sage.properties there should be some paths pointing to the wrong-old installation directory. Essentially, it creates a new wiz.bin file in the old directory and ignores the one you just put in.
I manually changed them to point to the correct dirs and all came back.

Andy, I forgot about that and didnt log a bug. But it seems that the first startup migration process doesnt transform all sage.properties elements when a user does something strange like I did.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Sage User

Thanks - I found the old wiz.bin in my Recycle Bin, restored it, and got back all the Sage Recordings info. Wasn't as easy as it sounds - I got a "file in use" error when I tried to change wiz.bin, even though I had closed Sage. I closed the SageTV Service in Task Manager, but for some reason, after a few minutes it would start up again on its own! So it was a race to finish copying the file before SageTV Service started again and locked the file.

I didn't copy the .properties file but it doesn't seem to matter. Since I had gone through the setup wizard again, perhaps that's all it needed.

I'm sure there's a good reason why the Recordings presentation is different from the Media Import presentation but it sure escapes me at present.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm glad to get the Recordings presentation back. I'm thinking of trying the MediaMVP client for Sage, and the Recordings organization is one of the main attractions. The Hauppage software makes you go through page after page to find a show.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceInSeattle
Thanks - I found the old wiz.bin in my Recycle Bin, restored it, and got back all the Sage Recordings info. Wasn't as easy as it sounds - I got a "file in use" error when I tried to change wiz.bin, even though I had closed Sage. I closed the SageTV Service in Task Manager, but for some reason, after a few minutes it would start up again on its own! So it was a race to finish copying the file before SageTV Service started again and locked the file.
It sounds like you may have had the service set to auto restart. Next time try stopping the service with it's control applet instead of killing it using taskmanager.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah the manual comes in real handy in these situations.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

So if your hard drive crashes and you lose the wiz.bin, you are sunk eh?

Can the wiz.bin file be backed up while sage is running - like copy to another drive?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobiont
Can the wiz.bin file be backed up while sage is running - like copy to another drive?
People do it... there are a couple links for ways of backing up existing SageTV data in this index: Utilities for use with SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.