SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am thinking it will work fine for me since I am always logged in as a user.

So far as being able to use the MyHD card for playback, I was wondering if the customization in

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=13842

would let me do that. What would be nice would be an STV or change to Sage that would let you set an external player based on file extension. That would let me play files recorded with my A180 in Sage and those recorded with the MDP-130 with MyHD.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

If all you want to do is launch to the MyHD app, yes, that should work, if you're talking integrated playback, you're going to have to part with quite a number of your green friends to get a hold of the MyHD SDK.

Just to clarify, Sage will (should) play the files recored by salsbst's encoder, it just won't use the MyHD to do it.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
I think I'm about ready to release something. Should happen sometime this weekend.
Well, at least light a match when you do. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do you think that it might be possible to use this solution with SageRecorder? My HiDef feeds are nowhere near my Sage server so I'm thinking of building a machine specifically for recording Hi-Def (and then storing it on the Sage-Server).

Andy.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
SageTVaholic

No, but I don't see why it would have to be in the SageTV box anyway.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

K - so this is a standalone network encoder as far as Sage is concerned? Cool.....

Andy.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
Well, at least light a match when you do. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
LOL
Old 11-12-2005, 07:12 AM
SageTVaholic

This encoder implements the SageRecorder interface, so it is like SageRecorder, except it is for MyHD instead of the cards that Sage supports natively.

One note: due to the fact that MyHD will not let you specify the name of a recording, the present implementation requires that the MyHD box also be the storage box for the MyHD videos. So, it cannot be used to write back from a "remote" MyHD machine to a UNC share on a central file server.

If this is a big problem for people, I can change that. It means running YAS (Yet Another Service), though this one would not present the peculiar challenges of a service that must host the MyHD process.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Forget I said that, for now. I found something that may enable me to avoid creating an extra service: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patc.../msg00093.html
Old 11-12-2005, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
One note: due to the fact that MyHD will not let you specify the name of a recording, the present implementation requires that the MyHD box also be the storage box for the MyHD videos. So, it cannot be used to write back from a "remote" MyHD machine to a UNC share on a central file server.
The MyHD can record to a network drive.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I am so looking forward to this. I bought an Avermedia A180 and couldn't get it to work in my HTPC, and I'd had the MyHD card for years without problems. I'm returning the A180 soon.

How are you going to "do" the scheduling of recordings and programs? Is it going to be within the Sage program guide interface?

Robert

Edit: I am interested in OTA only, not QAM. I simply could not get that A180 working!

Last edited by valnar; 11-12-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
The MyHD can record to a network drive.
I know, but...

SageTV specifies the file it will look for from a network encoder. Then, MyHD starts recording to its own file.

In order to reconcile this, a "hard link" must be created that links the file name that SageTV expects to the file that MyHD is recording.

CreateHardLink (NTFS api) only works on local drives (and the link must be between two file names on the same volume).

So, if the solution that I linked above does not work, I'll need to run a service on the machine that owns the drives. This service would establish the hard link. However, if the solution linked above *does* work, the link could be established from the MyHD machine.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar
How are you going to "do" the scheduling of recordings and programs? Is it going to be within the Sage program guide interface?
It will work like any other tuner in SageTV, except that it won't support live preview or display within the channel mapping menu.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Talking

Quote:
It will work like any other tuner in SageTV, except that it won't support live preview or display within the channel mapping menu.
I tried the Fusion 3 card last year and the A180 just now. Neither worked well, and the drivers/apps were always unstable. I am soooo looking forward to this.

The only thing I never tried in the course of a couple years is removing my MDP-120 (or 130 now) card and make the software HD card the only one. I am simply unwilling to do that since watching the MyHD MDP-130 live is so much better.

-Robert
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

A bit of a setback.

I just realized that I had forgotten to account for the fact that SageTV can be configured with multiple storage locations.

There is now a decision to be made:

I'll need to launch and shut down MyHD for every recording (unless a given recording is to the same drive as the previous recording.

This complicates things a bit.

So, you can all stop holding your noses. I won't be releasing anything this weekend. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

... or maybe not.

... mapped drives to the rescue?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sounds like you're pretty close to a solution, just not one that's 100%. I for one would be more then willing to give it a go with known limitations. And if the only one is that I can't record to all the drives sage can, I don't see that being too big of a deal. Though my card is in my primary Sage computer anyway...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I've already started a refactoring process that was in part due to the multiple drive thing, but was also a good thing to do for other reasons.

So I can't release anything now.

It shouldn't be too bad, though.

Using the subst functionality of Windows will make the multiple drive thing seemless (other than complicating configuration a bit).
Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any info updates for us? I'm really curious how many of us are monitoring this. It would be really interesting to know how many people are waiting for MyHD support in Sage. Feel free to add your name!

1. Me! (AndyS).

Andy.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm in the middle of awaiting my MyHD card and integrating it into my own HTPC. Had a question with the development for the MyHD hack integration into SageTV. So in order to view HDTV, will this require the loopback connection or will the recordings be outputted directly by the video card. Sorry for my confusion.