SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

License Question Studio versus SageTV

Is it possible to start Studio without SageTV?

The reason I ask is that I do not want to develop STVs (or going into the tutorial) on my MediaCenter in my livin room but on my "normal" PC.
I read somewhere that I cannot register more than one SageTV with the same serial in one network.

So my question, may I start Studio on one machine and SageServer and Client on another?

Thanks,

Oliver

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Studio is an integral part of SageTV, so it can't be started outside of SageTV or SageTV Client. You would have to have SageTV or the client installed on your PC where you plan to use Studio.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

why are they doing this just out of curiosity ? ie so integrating studio into sage instead of as a stand alone application ?

its really annoying :-) hehehe I was hoping to run sage studio on my laptop though I guess I could install sage on the laptop (dont really want to though as it would not do me any good)

I dont use sage for watching anything. One of the reasons I want to play with studio is that the sage tv "interface" is a hinderance to me. I want a data rich interface not a "10 foot" interface. ie I wants lots of rows lots of colums and small fonts so I can access my scheduling quickly and effeciently and then "log out" and let it do its thing.

I also run version 2.x and am really NOT all that inclined to "mess with whats working" though I am tempted to try because of how badly sage v2 does mpeg1 (keeps fubaring the headers to show 320 instead of the proper 352 which causes me a zillion headaches :-(

the only time I even look at sage tv is to "schedule recordings" and then when its done I only log in because I have to mark them as watched before I physically move the files to my recordings folders (I dont want sage goofing with my files so I have 2 recordings folder one for sage and one for me when its done recording I mark as watched and move them to my folder)

I play my files from other computers via orb or on my PDA. (I dont even own a TV or any normal sort :-) hehehe

Sooo with all the stuff out there (sorry) does frey plan to release this as standalone.

What will happen if I try to register sage 4 on my laptop while LEAVING sage 2 on my server ? (the laptop install would be used solely to play with studio)

will the software care (license terms matter not to me in this specific regard ie is it physically possible)

does sagetv "phone home" at all ? ie I dont want the server machine to "stop working" all of a sudden :-) I have it NICE and STABLE and dont want to screw with that. unless v4 can fix my problems then it might be worth migrating to.

So why do I like sage ?

Records mpeg1
Multi Tuner support (2mce500's looking at a third :-)
VERY VERY Stable :-)

I am thinking of just buying another sage license so I CAN run 2 copies even though the second would only be used for studio.

I like frey so I dont mind sending the money in there direction and its only like $40-$50 (ie the combo with the mce500 is only that much more than the mce500 by itself) kind of sucks if I MUST buy 2 just to be able to run studio on another machine though :-)

Just a little nipick opus - studio is NOT available to all registered users. because of the way they implimented it its ONLY available to registered users who CHOOSE to install v4.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Last edited by nerys; 03-02-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:50 AM
SageTVaholic

There is a thread somewhere in the forum that explains how to set up Sage without a tuner. So you could run it on your laptop just to use Studio. But you need a license for each Sage you run. Or install the client on your laptop.

It's a silly nitpick if it is your decision not to upgrade. That would be like complaining you can't use the Placeshifter client. Are you going to give up all the new features that ever come out of Sage? Bite the bullet and upgrade.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 03-02-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I guess you and I are just different users. I am a leave good enough alone kind of person.

if V4 does not fix the mpeg1 defect in sage I will probably not upgrade no matter what.

Its perfectly stable right now never missed a show. I DONT want to screw with that if there is no "benefit" to be had for the effort.

I want less headaches not more and I am a bit annoyed that they built such an app into this version when there was no logical reason I can see to do that Especially when it forces loyal users to potentially make a bad decision.

sage 2 does not pohoine hime to frey. this is a good thing. I dont recognize the legality of software phoning home. If v4 phones home this is a problem for me. (its a matter of principle and what is right and wrong)

I keep images of my drives so one idea is to make an image install V4 register it make my new "gui" and then backup the xml file and then RESTORE the original image back to my known stable version of sage and impliment the gui but since the went from stv to xml I am not sure if my v2 will READ the gui made with the studio that outputs xml ?? anyone know anything about this ?

Chris Taylor
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
why are they doing this just out of curiosity ? ie so integrating studio into sage instead of as a stand alone application ?
Because they are one in the same. Studio is part of SageTV, the part that lets you define/change the interface. Sage must be running for Studio to work (how would you see your changes otherwise).
Old 03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

So this is how all the previous beta users of studio did it.

Ahh I see now (sarcasm present here just incase its missed)

it was seperate before why is it not seperate now.

there is no reason the studio can not "display" an stv file or whatever just as easily as it did before and just as easily as sage itself can.

I have a feeling it has something to do with some funky DRM scheme or some kind some way to force people to upgrade I just cant put my finger on why they want everyone to use v4. It would really bother me if it phones home. If I decide to mess with v4 I am going to have to set the firewall to block it any internet access for a while and see what happens especially during registration (I dont recognize activation "schemes" as legal or moral) but I thought frey was above this kind of crap (and maybe they still are this is all just guessing)

I just dont like when older users are alienated by mandatory upgrades (and assuming you WANT to use studio this makes a v4 upgrade mandatory ESPECIALLY since they restrict studio so it does NOT work from the trial version) again the only reason I can come up with is they want to force people to upgrade and again the questions of WHY do they want people to upgrade.

is there a way to seperate the internet streams for EPG updates and sage TV so I can block sage tv from accessing the internet but allow epg updates ?

Chris Taylor
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

nerys: as usual, you haven't got the slightest clue what you are talking about, since you clearly do not understand a thing regarding how Studio & SageTV function together. Your ramblings around here never seem to make any sense and serve only to try to get people into arguments with you. If you need technical support with something, please contact SageTV's tech support. Otherwise, stop trying to create pointless arguments.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just dont like when older users are alienated by mandatory upgrades (and assuming you WANT to use studio this makes a v4 upgrade mandatory ESPECIALLY since they restrict studio so it does NOT work from the trial version)
Nobody's forcing you to upgrade. As with all software, new features are added in new versions and you have to upgrade if you want to use them.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
it was seperate before why is it not seperate now.
Who said it had ever been seperate? I followed all the postings related to Studio very closely, and it was never implied that it was.

And why are you so worried about it phoning home?? What do you think Win OS does when you do updates? Sure it asks you if it can do it, but it still does it. Sage actually phones home all the time to get EPG updates. Is that bad??? As far as I am concerned it is Sage's software. They can do what they want to make their product the best (which btw it is!). Like Win OS and most software for that matter, you license the software not own it!