SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
Yes, unless you don't have a Video IPod.

Squidmarks, Please consider the rest of us out here with other PMP devices. With the work you have already done you might consider making this tool also work with some more generic capabilities.

My convergence comes in the form of a PDA cell phone, so my storage is limited to the size of my SD card. However, I do have a nice big screen and a decent length bus ride to and from work. I think some simple modifications can facilitate the rest of us folks too.

Some Ideas for instance:
*Be able disable the iTunes stuff.
This is possible in the current version. There are check boxes to enable iTunes/iPod integration. If those are not enabled, the transcoded video will just show up in the specified directory. One thing I could add for those who don't have iPods is the option to run a batch file or other program after each transcode (i.e. so that new video could be xferred automatically to your device) Would that be useful?

Quote:
*Be able to determine any number of directories to trans code files into (active sync directory, Web server folder, ORB folder)
I have just added second (non SageTV) another directory listing for incomming video (I'll probably post the new version this weekend)

Quote:
*Be able to dynamically rename files based on data from xml files. (for those formats without tags)
*Be able to ignore or not require the xml files.
Currently, if you have the Meekel STV installed, the software will look for the show data xml file and use data in it to add tag info to iTunes.

Quote:
*Be able to “keep at most” X number of megabytes of data in the destination folder. ( by replacing the oldest files with the newest, or something)
* White list & Black list (good idea Diginerd)
I am working on this.

Quote:
*Automatic commercial removal (good idea Diginerd)
I don't know how to do this

Quote:
*Somehow, track which shows have been uploaded to a device and then subsequently deleted from it. Then when you reconnect your device the application would know to delete the source and or the original sage recording. (this would eliminate the administrative task of deleting a file from sage manually. Probably a long shot. Plus the recording wouldn’t get marked as watched, but its an idea)
Good idea - I'll need to think about how to implement that.

Thanks for the comments.

Geoff
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Sage User

Update comming shortly

I thought I would be able to post a new version of the SageToiPod software today, but I just finished it up and it needs further testing. Hopefully sometime this week. This version (1.4) should have a lot of the features that have been asked for. It has iPod library management where you can specify how many episodes of each show you want syncronized onto your ipod. There are a lot of other changes that I will enumerate when I post it. Go to inveteratediy.blogspot.com for screenshots of the new version.

Geoff
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just wanted to let everyone know that im using this program for my palm. Works great. I still cant figure out why the video ipod is so ground breaking when most palms can do everything the ipod can do and a whole lot more, with a bigger screen too.

thanks!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji
Just wanted to let everyone know that im using this program for my palm. Works great. I still cant figure out why the video ipod is so ground breaking when most palms can do everything the ipod can do and a whole lot more, with a bigger screen too.

thanks!
Probably the capacity ... 30 - 60gb ... Other than that, yea ... PDA's can do nice video ...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Sage User

I just noticed that this "feature" is on the SageTV homepage:

http://www.sagetv.com/index.html

"Transfer your favorite recorded shows to your laptop or video iPod easily!"

I don't have a video iPod, but it is worth noting that this software has garnered the notice of the SageTV execs and is part of the marketing now.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dont know if you have seen this...

But in case you haven't -- archos puts out a new product every couple of months. They seem to be about a year ahead in some cases. I know some of the products are steeply priced, but they were at 100gb almost a year ago.

http://www.shoparchos.com/product.as...&culture=en-US

These in addition to being players are actually portable PVRs. They are also WMP compliant -- if anyone is actually spending money on content. I have been waiting for this guy to update to a 100gb model. I want the wifi capability and the actual linux core to work with.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Probably the capacity ... 30 - 60gb ... Other than that, yea ... PDA's can do nice video ...
the ipods also have longer lasting batteries...
Old 11-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

what is the bitrate that this program is using? can we have the option to change it?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Sage User

New version of SageToiPod is out!

I've posted a new version of the SageToiPod software. Version 1.5 is a pretty significant update that fixes a number of issues as well as adding a bunch of new features:

- iPod video management (i.e. you don't have to transfer your entire SageTV library to your iPod - you can manage how many shows are xferred on a show-by-show basis).

- Additional video directory added to automatically transcode non-SageTV video.

- Updated, friendlier and more compact GUI

Download and get more details at inveteratediy.blogspot.com.

Geoff
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Sage Expert

What is the resolution for this? I'm wondering if I could use this as a simple batch encoder management program just to put encoded video on a laptop. Is it possible to jack up the resolution past what the iPOD can do...back to the original resolution....just encoded as mpeg4?

Thanks, great software!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
What is the resolution for this? I'm wondering if I could use this as a simple batch encoder management program just to put encoded video on a laptop. Is it possible to jack up the resolution past what the iPOD can do...back to the original resolution....just encoded as mpeg4?

Thanks, great software!
The resolution is set to 320x240. I didn't think that it might be used for other purposes, so I didn't make it an option to change it. It wouldn't be difficult to make that change, so next version I'll add an option to set the output resolution.

What resolution does SageTV typically use? Because its analog TV, it can't be much more than 320x240, can it? Would there be much point in transcoding to a higher resolution?

Geoff
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmarks
The resolution is set to 320x240. I didn't think that it might be used for other purposes, so I didn't make it an option to change it. It wouldn't be difficult to make that change, so next version I'll add an option to set the output resolution.

What resolution does SageTV typically use? Because its analog TV, it can't be much more than 320x240, can it? Would there be much point in transcoding to a higher resolution?

Geoff
Great! I'm not one of them, but many folks here also record HDTV. Maybe it you could make the program selectable with a few resolutions...or create a checkbox that makes the transcode the same resolution as the original.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmarks
What resolution does SageTV typically use? Because its analog TV, it can't be much more than 320x240, can it?
BTW: the resolutions can be checked in the properties file, on the mmc/python2_encoding/<recording rate> lines -- all the better mpeg2 recording rates are 720x480.

You can check the format of those lines here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Files w/o XML

WOW. Love it.

Would it be possible to do a couple things?

For those files that don't have XML, can you just statically define the Author to be "SageTV", and the Genre to be "TV Shows"? or Just allow us to set these for all non XML'd files via a user defined preference?

I have some Jpg and jpe files in the same directory as the "Other Video Sources" directory. It tries to transcode them and never finishes. Would it be possible to somehow tell it what extentions to work with, or file extentions to ignore?

For those of us not using the Meekell STV would it be possible to select the files in the SageTV folder for transcoding, (matching names, check boxes?) I have a very large 1TB folder. I would really like to somehow being selective in what it transcodes, but I use the "SageMC" STV. (Wife likes it, and doesn't like change.)

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Sage User

SageToiPod improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave
WOW. Love it.

Would it be possible to do a couple things?

For those files that don't have XML, can you just statically define the Author to be "SageTV", and the Genre to be "TV Shows"? or Just allow us to set these for all non XML'd files via a user defined preference?

I have some Jpg and jpe files in the same directory as the "Other Video Sources" directory. It tries to transcode them and never finishes. Would it be possible to somehow tell it what extentions to work with, or file extentions to ignore?

For those of us not using the Meekell STV would it be possible to select the files in the SageTV folder for transcoding, (matching names, check boxes?) I have a very large 1TB folder. I would really like to somehow being selective in what it transcodes, but I use the "SageMC" STV. (Wife likes it, and doesn't like change.)

Thanks
Excellent suggestions. I will try to include those in the next build. I haven't done anything with the software for a couple weeks now and I've had a number good, relatively easy to implement suggestions. I'll try to get a new version out next week that includes these. Thanks.

One thing...I've noticed that some of the shows from SageTV do not get transcoded properly. The video transcoder I am using is called FFMPEG. For some shows, when it is called to transcode the show, it pretty much just locks up. If the SageToiPod software does not get any progress feedback from the FFMPEG encoder for ~10 sec, it assumes its locked up and it terminates the process. I've found that this happens on about 5% of the shows on my system. Has anyone else noticed this happening? If you have your log file turned on, you will notice entries that say: Aborting transcoding due to lack of communication from FFMPEG. I'd like to know if anyone else is having this probem.

Geoff
Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Sage User

iPod video management without XML

I just checked, and you should be able to use the iPod video management features without the XML files. At one point, I was only able to do the iPod video management with the XML file present. I didn't realize until just now that I had re-written the iPod video management routines such that you no longer need the XML file. All the XML file does is add some tagging info.

If any of you are running SageToiPod and do not have XML generation turned on, let me know if iPod video management is working ok for you. Using iPod video management, you should be able to select which shows get transcoded and xferred to your iPod. As soon as you enable iPod video management, hit the Referesh Library button. The show list should populate with all the shows in your SageTV library. You can then select which shows you want transcoded, and how many of each to keep.

Let me know if it works.

Geoff
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
I have 3 sage tv video folders. How does this handle it? Or not at all. If not please oh please can it be covered in the next version as I have no idea which directory Sage is going to pick for recording before it does..

Keep up the Excellent work.

Unfortunately I have to wait until Xmas before I get to actually play properly, and this plug directly lead to me buying a video ipod for the wife (and hence small child).
Old 12-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Sage User

Multiple SageTV folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diginerd
I have 3 sage tv video folders. How does this handle it? Or not at all. If not please oh please can it be covered in the next version as I have no idea which directory Sage is going to pick for recording before it does..
Hmmm, that might be a tough one. I will think about it and see if I can figure something out.

I have a new version pretty much ready to go, I've just been too lazy to package it up into an installer and post it. I'll try to get my act together tonight or tomorrow and post something at inveteratediy.blogspot.com

Geoff
Old 12-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diginerd
My wife surprised me with a video iPod yesterday so this utility is exactly what I need. However, just like Diginerd I have my video files split across multiple drives and there's no way to know what will go where. I would also be extremely grateful if you could find a way to support multiple source drives.

You might want to think about putting a PayPal link on your website in case people want to donate something for your efforts. In the meantime - a big "Thank you!" will have to do...

Andy.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Sage User

New SageToiPod version needs testing

I have a new version of the SageToiPod software ready for testing. It includes most of the things you've been asking for including the ability to specify multiple SageTV video source folders (unlimited).

Send me an email (geoff.gerhardt AT gmail.com) if you want to test the new version. I'd like it tested by a few users before I post it.

I have an email link at inveteratediy.blogspot.com
Geoff

Last edited by squidmarks; 12-27-2005 at 04:24 PM.