SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage 3.0.x + MP4 ASP/AVC Native (??)

Hello all -

Those of you who are being brave to test the 3.0.x betas, I was wondering if you would be so kind (if capable) to test...

I've read that the 3.0 betas have the ability to play NeroDigital AVC encoded MP4 files from inside the native Sage player. This was also the case with the 2.0 version.

Has anyone tried AVC encodes yet? Like DVD_Maniac, I am using an external player along with Cayers STV to play my AVC encodes, but I am hoping that somehow 3.0.x will allow me to move that back into Sage itself.

Also of note : Some threads over on Doom9 indicate that Nero's ASP/AVC filters are now more functional outside of Showtime (with the latest 7.x build) Perhaps that would help the AVC situation?

-Greg
Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I just converted an mp3 to an Nero .mp4 audio file (using the very latest Nero 7 Ultra Edition and respective directshow filters). It doesnt look like SageTV 3.0 even supports the extension .mp4. None of my .mp4 files from itunes shows up in Music Jukebox, nor in the "Browse Media File" feature. Am I doing something wrong??

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Sage Icon

I still haven't taken the beta bait yet.
But mkanet, you have to add the mp4 extension to the library extension list for them to show up. Also, just because you converted it to MP3 doesn't mean it will play the same as a Nero Digital file. Did you convert it to ACC?

Gregerm,
Quote:
Some threads over on Doom9 indicate that Nero's ASP/AVC filters are now more functional outside of Showtime
I've been reading up a little too. It seems like the latest ffdshow with haali media splitter might have the solution.
I am thinking of trying it out this weekend and see. Although I do not think Sage is a better playback solution then Showtime or ZoomPlayer and will probably continue using an external player capable STV.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Okay, what's the trick to get SageTV to list mp4 files in the music jukebox and file brower? I sucessfully added the mp4 extension to the Sage.properties file, but it didn't make any difference. "seeker/music_library_import_filename_extensions=.mp3,.wav,.wma,.mp4"

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

was Sage and the Sage service (if using it) shutdown? Did you refresh the libraries? sometimes refresh takes a while..
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay, I got SageTV to list .mp4 files. The bad news is that NONE of the mp4 files playback in SageTV (Nero 7 encoded mp4, nor standard itunes mp4 ((non encrypted)).

Pretty lame.

My system by default (outside of sageTV) uses the absolute latest Nero Digital Audio Decoder and plays back itunes and nero flavored mp4 just fine.

What's the minimum I need to do in order to at least play my itunes music in SageTV? I have more itunes files than mp3.

I just dont understand why it's so hard for SageTV to simply build it's default filtergraph the same way the system does (Windows Media Player, Zoom Player, etc).

Thanks for your help in advance!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

Did you try to install the latest ffdshow build along with the haali media splitter?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I removed ffdshow from my PC because it would try to insert itself every time the system builds a filtergraph for pretty much everything I playback in WMP/Zoom player.

Since every media file type works perfectly outside of sage in Windows Media Player with the carefully selected filters I already have installed on my PC, I doubt I would risk installing any additional filters that would affect playback of other media type than mp4.

I was so busy with HDTV playback in SageTV, I thought it went without saying that the Music Jukebox would support itunes music since its the #1 world standard for online music downloads.

I must be missing something. I'm not even trying to play nero flavored mp4, just regular itunes files in SageTV 3.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
Did you try to install the latest ffdshow build along with the haali media splitter?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I thought it went without saying that the Music Jukebox would support itunes music since its the #1 world standard for online music downloads.
I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms here: But, this is why I use allofmp3 for buying my music. Sure it also helps that you can usually buy a WHOLE album for the same price as ONE song from Itunes, but the real reason is compatibility. ITunes sure does have a HUGE market share but I do not like being tied down to a closed standard or DRM of any kind.
"As for me and my house, We shall serve the Lord & boycott ITunes"
Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
SageTVaholic

I will check out allofmp3. Thanks. All I know is I cant use WMP10 for online music. Relatively limited selection and too many ads/spam.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Sage Icon

Awww, BS. Pretty much EVERY OTHER online music retailer outside of Apple would disagree with THAT statement.I've never had or owned an itunes song. And I've purchased literally over a thousand songs from legal online retailers (which allofmp3 arguably is not...).

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I thought it went without saying that the Music Jukebox would support itunes music since its the #1 world standard for online music downloads.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious, what online web store for music is more popular than itunes? It sure would be nice to find a service like itunes with comparable selection and pricing in mp3 or WMA format.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much about support for mp4 in sageTV since WMP10 doesnt even have good support for it either even with the right codecs installed (can't drag and drop mp4's into WMP10 as a playlist like you can with mp3s, wma's).

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Sage wont connect to the Haali Splitter. Been dealing with that for a few weeks. To be fair however, I dont think its their issue since I've had similar issues with other media players such as windows media player and standard AVI files. I try the new builds every time they come out but they dont really change much on that part.

As a stopgap the latest version of Media Player Classic 6.4.8.5 will play the files natively now (dont need the filter, FFDshow or nero installed) http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=84358

you can also try the elecard mpeg-4 pack listed here. http://www.elecard.com/download/ I just found it today actually and I have not tried it on my own so I can't tell you how it is, or if it work but at least its a workaround.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I removed ffdshow from my PC because it would try to insert itself every time the system builds a filtergraph for pretty much everything I playback in WMP/Zoom player.

Since every media file type works perfectly outside of sage in Windows Media Player with the carefully selected filters I already have installed on my PC, I doubt I would risk installing any additional filters that would affect playback of other media type than mp4.

I was so busy with HDTV playback in SageTV, I thought it went without saying that the Music Jukebox would support itunes music since its the #1 world standard for online music downloads.

I must be missing something. I'm not even trying to play nero flavored mp4, just regular itunes files in SageTV 3.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Sage will play normal AAC files with the correct codec installed, it just wont show time. http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/aac.shtml The issue with Apple's AAC files however are that they have security on it called Fairplay. Apple does not lisence that security to anyone to my knowledge. If they did im sure it includes a kick in the teeth at the same time. Now you can use something like Jhymn to strip the protection but I cant help you there on where to get it or use it.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

All my itunes files that I have do NOT have fairplay DRM.

I'm a bit confused though. I already "can" play mp4/m4a/acc using Windows Media Player (with Nero audio decoder or mpegable DS decoder). What's different about SageTV?

What's the minimum software that I can install? According to that zoom player webpage i have to install at least 3 pieces of software (CoreCodec AAC Decoder, Download AAC Parser, and 3ivx Filter Suite) to get my PC to do something it already can in Windows Media Player.

What's the easiest way to force SageTV to use what Windows Media Player uses or the least amount of software I have to install to get this to work?

Thanks in advance!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Audio is a bit different, I don't think Sage uses Dshow for audio playback.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Stanger89 or anyone, what's the minimum filter software I need to install to make itunes files work in SageTV? Or, do I have to install EVERYTHING mentioned here? http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/aac.shtml

I would prefer not to install anything I really dont have to.

The URL says I need to install specifically the aac decoder mentioned there, plus a "parser" which I dont know I need or not, plus a completely separate package just so I can use their proprietary splitter filter.

Can somebody help?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just get by with the decoder installed. But just like I said, it plays but it dosn't show the time or allow skipping or anything like that.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just tried the Elecard splitter. it didnt work as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Ryokurin, if you install that parser addon on Zoomplayer's site, are you able to see time and skip through parts of the song in SageTV?

AAC files can come internal to Audio/Video formats such as AVI/OGM/Matrsoka, or as a standalone Audio file (AAC/M4A). For internal playback, all you need is the AAC Decoder filter. For standalone playback, you will also need the AAC Parser filter.

PS: I currrently have Elecard's mpeg2 player installed and use it's mpeg2demultiplexor. Is this the "splitter" you say is causing the problems?

***RIP SageTV***