SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Startup Time is Huge, Sage Hangs on Sys Info, using lots of CPU

Things had been running smoothly for a few weeks with v1.4.7. I bumped up my screen resolution to 1120x630 (which is a great setting for my particular display). Then I noticed things were a bit sluggish in the menus and stuff. I rebooted my machine, and things got worse.

Now, it takes forever to startup Sage. It says Object DB loading on the bottom of the splash screen and seems to take 30s to load (the percentage goes up one at a time), where before it only took about 3-5 seconds.

Also, once it is running, it seems to use a lot more CPU power to do anything. Even while sleeping is hovers around 30%, while playing something it's about 70% with spikes tapping 100% and stuttering once in a while.

If I try to click System Information, it totally hangs.

I would like to be able to salvage the work I put into intelligent recording (i.e. save wiz.bin). My wiz.bin file is about 48MB, which seems to be very huge...

Here is the log file in case it tells you anything... they seem to be getting very large very quickly. I had my mp3 collection in there and then removed the directory but all of the songs still show up in the music library (even though it says in the log that the seeker deleted the files).
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (8.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 08-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just to further explain the state Sage is now in, when I go to Detailed Setup, the window comes up but is a blank white page. If I move my cursor accross the window, it changes from an arrow to a typing cursor in places where input is normally required... indicating that perhaps the information is still there, I just can't see it (as the entire window is white).

I am still not sure what is causing this. Anybody?

On a side note: the 1120x630 resolution is far better for my screen than the 856x480 was. The RPTV (a JVC 48") seems to sync up much better and always produces a rock stable picture (where as I would have to repeatedly switch to the Digital-In input to get a non-shaky picture with the 856x480 rez)...
Old 08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Sage

It looks like you've added over 120,000 files to the library. That's why its taking so long to load. Is that number right? It seems quite high...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to bling_bling_vr6 Send a message via Yahoo to bling_bling_vr6
I have a similar problem with my SageTV box, I'm not seeing a slowdown startup but I do see more cpu usage for most anything. I'm also running 1.4.7 and have about 10 things in my video library. The problem started one day all of a sudden after having worked beautifully for several weeks.

I first noticed it when the hard drive light was like constantly lit for over 1 minute while SageTV was asleep. I'd never seen this before and thought that maybe it was out of space or Ram. But I checked the "leave 20GB free" and there was still 28GB free on the disk at that time and over 100MB ram out of 256MB available. So I defragmented the hard drive and rebooted hoping for the best, but now I get still get pretty slow performance when I try to open a file from the recordings, the first few seconds of the video are awfully jittery and the HD light is lit solid for several seconds, then it slowly smothes out. The thing is, it never used to do this before...and I can't figure out what the hell it's doing when it utilizes the disk so much that my HD light is on solid for up to 30 seconds sometimes. Before I only saw the HDD light flicker on every few seconds but never for this long to do anything.

Any ideas?

0 rows returned

Last edited by bling_bling_vr6; 08-11-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

That's not correct. I had added a network drive to the import directory to add my mp3's. I have about 2200 mp3s and they were all in there at one time.

I have since removed that directory because I thought that was screwing it up. However, it seems that the files are still in my Music Library. How do I remove all traces of this?

Total, there should not be more than 2300 items in the Library... not 120,000. I would appreciate a way to 'clean house' so to speak, without losing wiz.bin data.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Sage

Matt,

If you've got nothing in your library import directory, and its done an EPG update, then you should be clean. Upgrade to the 1.4.8 RC1 and send me the log file from a run of it; I'll see what's happening.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have upgraded to 1.4.8 RC1 and all seems well now...no more in music library.

Thanks again.

Here is my log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (86.6 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Mangriotis,

Is your RPTV a 720p capable display? I didn't think that there were any RPTV's these days that could do 720p - thought they were all limited to 1080i. But, that's the only way I can see you getting your television to do 1120x630. Just curious.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, the 1280x720 display looks very stable also, just way too much overscan.

At 1120x630, the picture is awesome. Stable sync every time and pretty good resolution (meaning I can read even very small text no problem).

I believe that this set (JVC AV48WP30) is capable of 720p, but only via the DVI port. According to documentation it upconverts everything to 1080i.

I have tried variations with 540 vertical lines with little success...
Old 08-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to bling_bling_vr6 Send a message via Yahoo to bling_bling_vr6
Yea, upgrading to 1.4.8RC1 solved all my problems too, Thanks Mark.

0 rows returned