SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Sage Icon

Server PC Keeps Re-Booting ?????

I know this is a shot in the dark but I'll ask anyway.....

I've had my Sage server running since July 2004 with pretty much no problems at all.

Last night, while I'm away on business, my wife calls me and tells me that the server keeps rebooting on its own then coming up with the "Your PC has recovered from a Serious Error" message. She also says that before it re-boots it goes to a blue screen with text characters, but she claims it doesn't look like the normal blue screen of death.

Not being there I cannot verify.

Anyone else ever had this problem. I kind of doubt its related to Sage, but probabaly a pieice of hardware is dying.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stacy
Old 10-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

The blue screen with characters that doesn't look like a normal BSOD sounds like the screen you get when you've had a memory error. It usually says something like "core dump" and then a bunch of hex code.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would start by booting into safe mode and then runing chkdsk /f on all drives.

mike/
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

On that blue screen your wife is talking about will have the name of the error message in all caps. If you search for that it will usually tell you what kind of problem it is. That blue screen is also called a "stop error", so searching for that and the name of the error should get you somewhere. Depending on the error it may also list a file name (the driver that caused the problem). If it is always the same file then whatever that file is for is what is causing the problem. If the file changes with each error then in my experience it is a memory problem, which you can make sure by using a utility like memtest86 or memtest86+.

Edit: Forgot to mention that usually the system will only flash the blue stop error for a second then reboot, without giving you the time to look at the name. To disable this automatic rebooting right-click on My Computer and pick Properties. Go to Advaned -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings and disable the "Automatically restart" option. The only problem with this is that if the crash happens when no one is around, the server will be stuck on the stop error and won't load back into Windows, missing any scheduled recordings in the mean time.

Last edited by michelkenny; 10-26-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Sage Icon

I'm still not home for me to look at it, but my wife said it said something about a driver NTFS.SYS

Sounds to me like the file system has become corrupt. Anyone agree? Of course memory can also die, too.

I was planning on doing a full frontal labotamy when Sage 3 was officially released anyway. I guess I will just do it sooner.