SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Client on machine w/ Multiple XP Accounts

I have client machines with multiple user accounts (myself, my wife, my son). When one person starts Sage while logged into their account, everything is fine. But if I, for instance, put Sage into Sleep mode, when my wife logs in, Sage will not be in sleep mode in her system tray. It is as if it is not running. If she then tries to start Sage, nothing happens. Not even a message pop up. You then have to log in to the original account, and exit Sage completely, and log back into the second account to start it again. Especially painful since there are three accounts, so you're not even sure which person has it open.

Any way to make the client more multi-user friendly?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Probably not. The multi-user mode on XP isolates the "user mode" processes, so that what you run doesn't interfere with what your wife/son/whatever runs. Your wife's process can't access what is running in your process, and vice-versa. That's the whole point of this mode.

If you are going to be sharing your PC like this, you will just have to get used to exiting Sage instead of putting it to sleep.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I don't know a lot about multiple user accounts, since my machines all have 1 account. But, what about using SageTV's service mode? All you have to worry about is the UI part, but at least the recordings would continue. You could run multiple client instances, but then that would require SageTV Client to be installed. (If you are already using the client, try using the '-multi' command line parameter.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I don't know a lot about multiple user accounts, since my machines all have 1 account. But, what about using SageTV's service mode? All you have to worry about is the UI part, but at least the recordings would continue. You could run multiple client instances, but then that would require SageTV Client to be installed. (If you are already using the client, try using the '-multi' command line parameter.)

- Andy
Hi, thanks the great advice - you were spot on! This is a Sage Client issue, Sage itself runs in service mode on a server downstairs. -multi did the trick!!! Thanks so much....
Old 10-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Glad to see I was wrong on this one!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Weird, this was working fine for me, but now I'm on 4.1.5 and the -multi flag isn't doing the trick any more. I'm back to only being able to have the sage client running in one user account at a time - to open in another user account i need to log into the account with it open and close it first, then switch back and re-open. I triple checked, and the -multi flag is there on the command line.

Did the -multi flag go away in a recent release?

Thanks....
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel

Did the -multi flag go away in a recent release?

Thanks....
Yup, a couple releases ago, around 4.1.3.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Possible to put it back in???
Old 01-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Sage User

Please please put -multi back in. I was wondering why the client was no longer working for my wife when I upgraded, I was depending on -multi and had put it in her shortcut.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:25 PM
SageTVaholic

It's probably not going to happen. It was changed when Sage came out with their MVP client.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, it's important for it to be known that this feature is relied on....