SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Sage User

Audio issue, it plays all audio twice a few secs apart

what happens is this, i am tired of winfasts crappy tunner software yech! so i have decided to try sagetv as i see it mentioned alot in neweggs tuner reviews, sure enough i look it over and its like tivo and slick and nice... i i tried to run it and ran into some issues.. 1st heres the system

fresh install of win2k sp4 OR fresh install of winxp sp1
p4 running 4ghz
abit ai7
1 gig local ram
1 160 gig drive for sagetv -on own ata133 card
1 120 gig drive for OS -on onboard ide controler
ati 9800 with 5.9 cats
audigy 2 value
leadtek 2000 expert tv tuner card with latest drivers, 10bit conextant controler
dicrectx 9.0c fresh from windows update

ok i fresh install the os, and directly install the service packs. then installed directx and the latest drivers for all harware i can find.

reboot and ghost the box

now, install sagetv 2.2x and attempt to use... all i get is various compression failures. regardless of fiddleing it just failes. hower ever it plays stored media files juts fine, (movies avi, mpg mp3)

shrug my shoulders and try the beta build... it works perfect except for one itsy bitsy thing.. the audio stream is being played twice at the same time..

i can hear the actual *incoming* stream play as the buffer collects it, and then i hear the same audio stream again when the pvr software renders it for viewing... if i pause the render (ie pause tv) the original incoming stream continues to play, when unpaused the stream resumes that much further behind the source stream. for giggles i can go into the windows volume applet and turn down the WAV volume and then only hear the orignal stream, but a few seconds out of synd (behind).

i know its not on the support list but was curious if anyone else or the author new of how to possibly remedy this. i can buy a new tuner but that with the cost of the sgetv software will make me wait a bit...

any thoughts ?

as for the product, well i can say its pretty damn slick and i like it! good work fore the teams...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Is that Leadtek card a hardware encoder or software encoder? I'm going to bet it's a software encoder, and that may be where the problem is. With the 3x beta versions they added limited support for software encoder cards (at least I remember reading somehting about it), but I don't think it's 100% there yet.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Sage User

yeah its a 2 year old software encoder based off of the 10bit conextant chip (model number is rubbed badly)...
Old 10-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

This isn't really related to maxxcool7421's problem but it is on topic for the thread.

For others who might stumble onto this thread, with hardware decoder cards, like the PVR-350 there can be a difference in the timing between the output from the card and the output rendered by the software decoder. In other words what you see on the tv output does not sync with what you see on your computer monitor. If you have your tv audio plugged into your computers sound card instead of the TV card, you will have audio sync problems. Adjusting the audio lag in sage may help, but I noticed that the difference between the software decoding and hardware decoding timing is not always consistent.

If you have both hardware and software decoding enabled, you will likely hear the audio track twice, once from your PC speakers and once from the TV speakers. Either mute one devise or choose only one decoding method.