SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Sage User

Cable DVR with Moxi or SageTV?

Have a Cable TV DVR such as the Motorola with Moxi? Saw something interesting here http://www.charterforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9 where Motorola and the cable companies may get some good competition from Sage and the Media Ready Box.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't comment on Sage vs Moxi, as I've not even seen enough info about Moxi's UI to make intelligent comments.

But one, absolutely huge, hurdle for the MediaReady (or Sage/PC PVRs in general) is the lack of ability to record digital stations directly. The Moxi can (I assume) capture digital channels directly, where as the MR would require the use of a cable box.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I can't comment on Sage vs Moxi, as I've not even seen enough info about Moxi's UI to make intelligent comments.

But one, absolutely huge, hurdle for the MediaReady (or Sage/PC PVRs in general) is the lack of ability to record digital stations directly. The Moxi can (I assume) capture digital channels directly, where as the MR would require the use of a cable box.
You are correct, the Motorola BMC90xx does have a digital and HD turner built in but that's about it. The biggest problem if you use Charter for your cable provider is depending upon the market area you live in you may only be able to get the 9012 model which is the entry level DVR with built in cable box with an EPG. The HD is half the size of it bigger brother the 9022. No CD no network disabled USB ports Moxi Mate not supported etc etc. You can record a few HD shows but with the small size of the hard drive and no way to get the recorded programs off the box you only have the option of deleting the programs. And if you are lucky to find the 9022 there are still issues with recording certain programs because of the DMCA laws. They only have the model 9012 in our area and their reps say they have never heard of the 9022. It's all in money and marketing.

Last edited by atlantic; 09-30-2005 at 01:52 PM.