SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does anyone else get occasional artifacts through a whole show?

It's kind of hard to describe, but the screen will get 1/2" or so pixelation squares, mostly in parts of the screen that have motion, and the audio also "chirps" - sounds like a cricket or moving a needle across a record.

It happens to about 1 in 10 recordings, and I want to know if it is unique to me, or is it something that is common?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Is it always on the same recorder? I used to have an original PVR-250 in my system and after about 5 days without a reboot the audio would crap out on recordings. Video was still ok, but the audio would be what I'd call "chirping".
Before I finally just pulled that card I got in the habit of making sure I rebooted the cpu every few days. I'm sure it was a driver issue. Finding a driver that would work with both the old original PVR-250 and the PVR-500's was a real pain. Seem's I'd get something to work with the 250 and the picture on the 500's was crap, or vice versa. I don't think it was an issue with the newer PVR-250 vs. PVR-500.

On rare occasions I have seen the 1/2" pixelation also. Usually it's because of my doing multiple FF/RW to get close to a spot in the recording. usually a Stop/Play will fix it on the first try.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have this happen but not super often. It has in the past come and gone on a more frequent basis, and I can't say that I have been able to narrow it down much. It doesn't *appear* to be common to a particular encoder (I have a 350 and a 500) however I have a gut feeling that it is common to using lower audio bit rates and/or VBR audio bit rates. That's just my intuition though, and yeah I use quite low bit rates and have customized them myself. I believe in some cases the cards can't or won't go that low though ?

Cory
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Go into the Setup Wizard. Select a source and then select "color calibration". Do this for each source. This will tell you if it's specific to one tuner.

When I first installed Sage I had a similar problem on one tuner. I solved it by removing both sources from the Setup Wizard, powering off, removing both tuners then installing and configuring one at a time.

If your problem is similar to what I saw, this might help.