SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Sage User

I'm Stuck (again)! Sage doesn't see my PVR-500

I don't even know where to begin.

I had a (semi) successful Sage box running: 2GHz Celeron, 512M RAM, 2-120G HDs, nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, Hauppague PVR-500, USB-UIRT, Kameleon remote.

Now I went out and got 2 new 250G HDs and decided to revamp the system.

I decided to reload from scratch and get the whole box started. (I was going to try and save the settings and database from the original installation but decided against it because the instructions seemed very complicated.)

When SageTV comes up, I get the screen that says "Please select the video capture device..." and the PVR-500 tuners are not listed.
I have tried every last PVR-150/500 driver that I could think of.
I have searched the forums and Googled the Internet.

I am very frustrated and stuck.
[And I MUST return the box to it's original condition with the original 120s in it before the wife REALLY yells at me for messing up the DVR AND spending the whole weekend on trying to "fix" it!! ]

If anyone has any ideas [that I can try probably next week] on how to fix it or where to find a step-by-step setup guide for me, I would really appreciate it!
Old 09-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Sage Icon

Does the PVR-500 show up in your system information as working?

If not, then fix that and see if it appears in Sage.

If it does show up as working in your system information then:

Shut down Sage and Sage Service mode (if using it). Otherwise any changes you make to the Sage.properties file won't work. It must be completely shut down, both program and service mode, in order to make changes to the properties file.

Open up your Sage.properties file and search for "mmc/ignore_encorders" and see if you your PVR-500 is in that line. If it is then remove it and save the file.
If Sage encounters any problems with the card it will put it in the ignore line so that you can figure out why it's in there. Whether it's the hardware, driver, or whatever. Many times as long as it is working according to your system information you can just remove it from the ignore line and it will work the next time you fire up Sage

Fire up Sage and see if it works now.

Heck, if it's a fresh install and you haven't done anything as far as options/setup yet, you could just rename or delete the Sage.properties file and have Sage create a new one.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Sage User

Yes, both tuners of the PVR-500 show up in the system device manager as working. (another reason for starting from fresh was because I was having trouble getting the USB-UIRT to consistantly change channels on my cable STB, I will revert to both tuners using the internal splitter and going with only basic channels on the DVR)

I will try your other suggestion as soon as I can.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

definitely follow the ignore encoders suggestion. Im sure thats your problem.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Sage User

Thanks, I just might get a chance to try that this evening.