SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

What's Causing Sage Client To Play Ripped DVD's incorrectly?

Hello,

This isn't a new problem with the setup...but I'm just stumped where the problem is.

My sage server is streaming to my sage client via wireless connection. The signal seems strong --the little system try app consistently says 'very good' quality, and 45mbs.

When I stream TV shows, everythign is fine and smooth.

When I watch a DVD locally, also everything is fine.

But when I watch a DVD that was ripped and streaming from the Sage server, every so often, the video (and audio) stops for a second and then starts up again. (On the server, it plays fine)

Since the client is using the same codecs for TV, DVDs and ripped dvds (video is nvidia, and sonic for audio), I don't think it's the codec.

I'm GUESSING that the problem is w/ the wireless network card--maybe I need to change it? How do I know for sure with out just doing it? Could it be something with Sage?

thanks!

rwc
Old 09-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

The first thing I would do to find out if it is in fact your wireless network causing the problem is to setup both computers near each other and plugging them directly into your router (or just use a cross-over cable between the two) and see if it works fine. If it does, then it is your wireless connection not providing enough bandwith for playing DVDs. If this is the case, the reason why it works fine for playing recorded TV shows is because the recorded mpegs are way smaller than a DVD, so they require a lot of bandwith. If this is the case, I would suggest trying to run a wire to your Sage client... people have been having a lot of problems with wireless. I find that it is good for occasional web browsing/small file sharing, but you're better off going wired for high bandwith applications.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you are running wireless over an 802.11b network, then it is quite possible that the network connection is choking. They may say that you get 11Mbits, but in actuality you will be lucky to get much more than 7-8, and if you add encryption on top of that then you are just asking for trouble when streaming. Granted, some people have no trouble with it, but it is really at the ragged edge of doable.

If you are running 802.11g, then remember that any 802.11b devices on the network will drop your throughput significantly. If you are running several devices, remember that they share the bandwidth, and will step on each other's toes in high-traffic situations (i.e. video streaming).

If you can, run a cable - nothing beats a hardwired connection, period. If you can't run a cable, then make sure you are using 802.11g (or .11a), not b. And make sure you move as many devices as possible to g, since b devices will drag g networks down. Also check for sources of interferance (cordless phones, baby monitors and microwaves are some of the "biggies").