SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Adding playback of all file types

Consider the fact that windows media player will play anything you have the proper codec for. And pretty much every other playback program operates the same way.

Why can't Sage operate this way too? If it's so easy for the others, I can't imagine it being so difficult for Sage.

I subscribe to a bunch of different video podcasts, some of them being .mov files. It's an incredible time consuming, and almost impossible thing to convert these into avis.

With Quicktime Alternative, they offer a directshow filter that Sage can work with I'm sure.

Anybody else not understand why this hasn't been added?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

The others aren't JAVA based... That is a major thorn in the side when you are talking about this kind of support.

Look at how darn painful it is to put a Java wrapper around a reasonably complex COM onject.. Ick.

Jason
Old 09-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Sage Icon

Cool, I understand that. But that was a programming choice that sage made... I don't see any real benifits of going that route (except Nielm webserver and porting to linux). That choice though, should limit Sage's users from expecting the same functionality as the competing software though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

AFIAK, any file type for which there is a splitter and decoder filter, should play in Sage. Note that some file types (like WMV) use an integrated file source splitter filter, and require special care to make work.

Finally, I'd guess that a lot of players use WMP's engine for playback rather than their own.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

I guess .mov must be a filetype like you describe, stanger...
Old 09-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
I guess .mov must be a filetype like you describe, stanger...

it is possible to make most quicktime files work as long as you have the proper filters setup which can be a pain. Its also not 100% on all files. I still run into a few that wont play (not just in sage, but on other player) or they play weird such as the picture tilted to the side.

You need 3ivx, a recent ffdshow build and a AAC decoder.

1. Download 3ivx from www.3ivx.com Now use a filter manager like zoomplayer or radlight filter manager available here http://www.divx-digest.com/software/...r_manager.html . Use that program to remove all 3ivx filters except the splitter. You want to do this because everything else eventually expires.

2. Install the CoreAAC directshow filter available here http://www.free-codecs.com/CoreAAC_D...r_download.htm and AAC parser filter from here http://www.rarewares.org/aac.html (keep in mind you install to a folder and run register. do not delete the folder)

3. Install a recent ffdshow build. http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow Its been included in the internal builds for about a year but if you get it from sourceforge it likely does not have it. Im using the August 8th if you are curious. enable the SVQ1 and SVQ3 codecs in the setup box.

4. give sage the associations the usual way. it should play most of the files. If the video or sound is garbled go into the 3ivx filter properties via another player and enable the allowed unsupported filters option
Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tried this on a digg video (m4v)... Gives me ERROR(-4,0x80040295)... Why do I tend to spend 3 hours getting one thing to work in Sage?
Remote: Media Center Remote / Keyboard
Case: MCE-701 w/ 7-Inch Touchscreen

Last edited by Athfar; 08-03-2006 at 08:01 AM.