SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Sage User

Is there a way to exclude Channels from Intelligent Recording

<exactly what the topic said/>
Old 09-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

No, not unless you disable the channel in Channel Setup.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Sage User

thanks for the prompt reply. Sad though. Any chance of that getting added during beta?

My problem is this. I like watching the news... as it happens. I watch it sometimes, and then intelligent recording starts recording hours of news shows im never going to watch. If i coul just turn it of on the news channels, id be thrilled.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:20 PM
SageTVaholic

This would be something better than nice to have -- it would be great!

I'd not do it on channel, but on program. There are some things (news, e.g.) that one might only wish to watch live.

News Hours with Jim Lehrer --> exclude from statistics
Old 09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Oh, it has been a feature request for quite some time. I purposely don't watch live TV because it affects IR & on the rare instances when I do, I go back & clear Watched/set Don't Like for anything watched. I would like a way to specify shows/categories/channels/whatever as things not to be recorded by IR... sort of an anti-favorite/rejection list. Or, perhaps simply have unscheduled live TV viewing excluded from the viewing history. I know several ideas have been submitted, but I'm fairly sure there are still many things taking priority over something like this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Sage Expert

livetv != like, watched or dislike......... that's the optimal solution.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Sage User

i dont think so. Personally i think its brilliant. It just has to have a way to be selective. Your live tv habits give a good representation of what you want to see. IR works perfectly in general, EXCEPT for that one problem i described.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Your live tv habits give a good representation of what you want to see.
Not when sage has no idea whether it's live tv or you just forgot to hit stop before you went to bed. IR is far from perfect and it's one major flaw is live television.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Sage Icon

Yup, and if you like to leave the TV when you go to sleep, you cant even put Sage to sleep. My TV has a sleep timer, why doesn't Sage?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Sage User

A sleep timer would be an awesome feature. Would love nothing better than to set the timer, fall asleep to the TV and not have to worry about waking up later to turn it off. =)
Old 09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgold9
i dont think so. Personally i think its brilliant. It just has to have a way to be selective. Your live tv habits give a good representation of what you want to see. IR works perfectly in general, EXCEPT for that one problem i described.
I agree. To me, the missing feature is not the sleep issue. Just put it to sleep. The missing feature is a feature that says "Don't every record this show."
Old 09-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Sage Expert

And that's another problem with IR... It's chock full of little things that should be configurable but isn't.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
The missing feature is a feature that says "Don't every record this show."
Oh Yah, that would be a great feature, in essence, a "non-favorites" menu. I don't use IR, but I have a lot of favorites set to record certain actors. For a certain actor, I may not want Sage to record the sitcoms they starred in, but do want to record all the movies or late-night shows they are on. Right now, I have to go through "additional airrings" and set all the sitcoms to "don't like" to keep them from recording, even though I really don't "don't like" them, I just don't want to have to keep deleting them from my HD.

Sage has been improving the AI by including the "advanced options" in the favorites details, so they are working in the right direction.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Sage Icon

I posted many suggestions on improving IR on some other thread. Here are the features/options I suggested:

-set aggressive IR enable/disable, instead of editing the sage.properties file. (3.x beta has this now)
-set how many shows per series to record like in favorites manager. Or/and set how many IR recordings per day or week, because sometime I don't want IR to go crazy and fill my harddrives with a bunch of shows, whether aggressive is on or not.
-set how much free space IR is allowed to use
-log of what it sets as Don't Likes/Likes. And maybe option to edit the list if it is not accurate. So I can see what its doing and get an idea of how IR works to better deal with it.
-maybe an exception list. Such as never record from this channel or never record during specify time.
-set duration of how long watching a LiveTV show will consider as "Likes" to IR. I think current setting is 2 minutes, which is way too short.

I currently have IR aggressive to negative because I have no control over what its doing and since there's no log, I don't know how well it knows my watching habits.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
I posted many suggestions on improving IR on some other thread. Here are the features/options I suggested:

-set aggressive IR enable/disable, instead of editing the sage.properties file. (3.x beta has this now)
-set how many shows per series to record like in favorites manager. Or/and set how many IR recordings per day or week, because sometime I don't want IR to go crazy and fill my harddrives with a bunch of shows, whether aggressive is on or not.
-set how much free space IR is allowed to use
-log of what it sets as Don't Likes/Likes. And maybe option to edit the list if it is not accurate. So I can see what its doing and get an idea of how IR works to better deal with it.
-maybe an exception list. Such as never record from this channel or never record during specify time.
-set duration of how long watching a LiveTV show will consider as "Likes" to IR. I think current setting is 2 minutes, which is way too short.

I currently have IR aggressive to negative because I have no control over what its doing and since there's no log, I don't know how well it knows my watching habits.
Make no mistake, you have to train it, but it works well. For example, my wife(and I sometimes ) like Ice skating. So far, for three seasons, the IR has picked up shows. Ditto for gymnastics. These are things that don't come on consistently but yearly and IR does a good job.

Or when it found Buck Rogers! I mean come on! Now, IR will also pick up other stuff because you MIGHT like it. Why not? Go out and cull, I say.

Because I Sage, I mine so much out of my basic cable, that I don't bother with more channels.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Sage Expert

I will say that once it's trained (about 2-3 months worth) it does start to be semi-intelligent... But getting there is a chore. With a clean install of v3 I'm back to training again.

And there's some things that you should be able to do but can't...

1 - Set something as "like" without setting it to "watched"...

2 - Set the show as Never record this or I'll pull your cpu out you #$%#@^#$%

3 - Wipe all record of like / dislike / watched for a particular show. (Yeah, I know... STV... build it in to sage. It's a needed feature.)
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
I will say that once it's trained (about 2-3 months worth) it does start to be semi-intelligent... But getting there is a chore. With a clean install of v3 I'm back to training again.

And there's some things that you should be able to do but can't...

1 - Set something as "like" without setting it to "watched"...

3 - Wipe all record of like / dislike / watched for a particular show. (Yeah, I know... STV... build it in to sage. It's a needed feature.)
Agreed. On all three.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
I have a problem with Sage and several other programs. Once you record a race it thinks that Nascar is racing. Now if I could just convince it that Nascar isn't racing any more than Spelling Bee's are "sports" then I would be able to set up a Racing favorite in MyTVInfo , and possibly get Sage to start realizing what's racing and what isn't. Of course there are a couple exceptions in Nascar. I will watch any of the road races in Nascar. It's so much fun watching the drivers get brain aneurisms whenever they see a right turn.

Last edited by waynedunham; 09-13-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
I have a problem with Sage and several other programs. Once you record a race it thinks that Nascar is racing. Now if I could just convince it that Nascar isn't racing any more than Spelling Bee's are "sports" then I would be able to set up a Racing favorite in MyTVInfo , and possibly get Sage to start realizing what's racing and what isn't. Of course there are a couple exceptions in Nascar. I will watch any of the road races in Nascar. It's so much fun watching the drivers get brain aneurisms whenever they see a right turn.

HA HA, I sorta resemble that statement myself. Real drivers know how to turn right

funny story: My sister bought her husband one of those Richard Petty Driving Experiences for his birthday, and I went to go watch him at the track. Aparantly they had an opening left and my mom thought that I might be interested in doing one also. Nope, wasn't interested, not even as my birthday present, shocked the heck out of everybody there The employees were trying hard to talk me into it, but I basically said that it was glorified taxicab circle-racing. And that I wouldn't even think about it until they ran a road course event at Sears Point, oops, pardon me, Infineon Raceway . Besides, they said we'd only get to do 130-140mph, big deal, I'd seen those speeds in my old VW Corrado on the way to Vegas a couple times