SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
A few questions:
If I wanted to move from the nielm plugin to this one, are there any advantages (other than this one is still actively developed)?

If I did, is there an easy step-by-step process to switch over?

If I'm using the same two xml files (1.xml and 2.xml), would my lineups/mappings in Sage get messed up?
Would I have to re-apply the lineup to the tuner in Sage?

Is it possible with this plugin to influence the filenames that Sage uses for the MPG? Can I get it to include channel number?

Thanks!
Rick
Yes, very configurable.
Not other than the 1st post.
I don't think they would get messed up, just make sure you put the same provider name in the config file.
You might.
I don't think that is an option, but you could request it from Demedius. I believe he would have to add the channel number to the title(you would have to create new favorites) or the episode number(preferable).
Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Episode Data

Here is my Setup. I have Cable tuner #1 set to the internal Sage EPG Data Dishnetwork Tuner #2 is set to Sage Internal EPG Data Dishnetwork Tuner #3 (which is a copy of tuner #2 using MT Netwokr encoder) that uses this plugin via MTEPG XMLTV export.

Now I had American Idol set up as a favorite with first runs only. Sage had Tuner #1 recording on Channel #12 then it decides to Add it for Tuner #3 2 times causing a conflict on two different channels for the same tuner. Both instances were first runs and both had the same title. Does sage determine what to record by epsiode number, description or just first run??

Confused..

technazz
Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz
Here is my Setup. I have Cable tuner #1 set to the internal Sage EPG Data Dishnetwork Tuner #2 is set to Sage Internal EPG Data Dishnetwork Tuner #3 (which is a copy of tuner #2 using MT Netwokr encoder) that uses this plugin via MTEPG XMLTV export.

Now I had American Idol set up as a favorite with first runs only. Sage had Tuner #1 recording on Channel #12 then it decides to Add it for Tuner #3 2 times causing a conflict on two different channels for the same tuner. Both instances were first runs and both had the same title. Does sage determine what to record by epsiode number, description or just first run??

Confused..

technazz
I think it must go by episode ID because I have the same problem every week with "The Soup" and "Best Week Ever" even though the show information is the same.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:

Confused..

technazz
I believe that SageTV also takes the data source into account when doing scheduling. If the same show appears on lineups from different sources with the same data and show/episode ID, it can still be interpreted as different airings.

You didn't mention specifically what your tuners are. Are Tuner #1 and Tuner #2 different inputs on the same card?? Are they seperate cards? Without knowing for sure, I can only offer sugestions that may or may not work.

You can try to avoid this problem in the following ways.

1) set the encoder_merit property for the cable tuners higher than the STB and Network Encoder (higher merit = more priority). This way SageTV will favor airings that appear on the cable tuners, and reduce the chance of needing the STB or Network Encoder to schedule a "network tv" broadcast. If your Tuner #1 and Tuner #2 are different inputs on the same card, you will only be able to set the encoder_merit for the card, no each seperate input.

IE: Tuner #1 - encoder_merit=5, Tuner #2 - encoder_merit=4 (if a seperate card), Tuner #3 - encoder_merit=0 (the default)

You will need to find the correct mmc/encoders section by matching the video_capture_device_name property to the name that appears in SageTV's "setup video sources" menu.

2) remove channels that appear in your cable lineup from your STB and network encoder lineups. With this SageTV won't have the option of using the STB or Network Encoder to schedule an airing that appears on a "more available" tuner.

3) limit the number of "out-of-area locals" that you have selected in your Network Encoder or STB lineups. By limiting the "network tv" channels available to SageTV you limit the possibilty of schedule conflicts caused an EPG data source differences or errors.

4) create two favorites for each show you want to record. One for first runs and one for reruns. Go to "manage favorites" and move all the reruns below the first runs. This will give more priority to the first runs and give you more control over how to handle recording conflicts, by allowing you to overide only the rerun airings. For those shows that REALLY cause scheduling problems, set the favorite to record first runs from a specific channel.
IE: I have one channel that always has the EPG data for "24" wrong (they have "24" and "prision break" swapped)... so I have a favorite for 24 first runs set to record from a specific channel.

Specialty channels and superstations (IE: A&E, WGN, TBS) available on the STB rarely carry first run "network tv", but these channels will sometimes have the shows marked as first run in thier EPG data if it is the first time that they are showing it. IE: "network tv" will run "The Amazing Race" on Wednesday and OLN will run the same episode, also maked as a first run on Sunday. For these situations, you just have to deal with them on a case by case basis.

Regards.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrmage
I believe that SageTV also takes the data source into account when doing scheduling. If the same show appears on lineups from different sources with the same data and show/episode ID, it can still be interpreted as different airings.
I hope that is not how it works, and I don't think it does since I have other shows that are offered on more than one channel, have matching show/episode IDs, with different data sources that do not record more than once.

Technazz, can you see if the duplicates have different show IDs?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Shows are considered the same if they have the same unique show ID. If the IDs are not the same, or if they are generic SH-prefixed IDs, the shows will be considered different. The XMLTV plugin may be generating different IDs for the same show, depending on how each channel is listing it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Shows are considered the same if they have the same unique show ID. If the IDs are not the same, or if they are generic SH-prefixed IDs, the shows will be considered different. The XMLTV plugin may be generating different IDs for the same show, depending on how each channel is listing it.

- Andy
Can you tell us how the internal Sage EPG determines the showID so I can have Demedius add an option to follow this standard? I have a lot of shows that I have watched when I was using the internal EPG, and now that I have switched to the XMLTV EPG they are being re-recorded because of the different show ID.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsagetv99
Can you tell us how the internal Sage EPG determines the showID
Covered in your Show ID discussion.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Covered in your Show ID discussion.
Demedius, can you check the above link, I posted info there about a problem with the show ID element. Basically I would like to request the option of passing the episode-num to Sage as the showID instead of the your method of generating a unique ID. Following is the syntax of the element in my XMLTV source (Zap2it)
Quote:
<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP808403.0006</episode-num>
Thanks alot.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demideus
The plugin has been updated.
b) You can specify the channels that can record in HDTV quality with the hd.title.decoration.channels property.
(You should use the xmltv channel id's here.)
Demideus,

I am attempting to get the HD title decoration working and where you say "You should use the xmltv channel id's here" I just want to clarify I am doing it write.

For example say my channel looks like so:

<channel id="I45521.labs.zap2it.com">
<display-name>841 MCHD</display-name>
<display-name>841 MCHD 0008999:X</display-name>
<display-name>841</display-name>
<display-name>MCHD</display-name>
<display-name>Movie Central HD</display-name>
<display-name>Canadian PAY</display-name>
</channel>

So I am thinking I should put this in the properties value:

hd.title.decoration.channels=I45521.labs.zap2it.com

Is that correct? would I need the quotes around it too or no?

Thanks in advance, love the plugin!

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I hope that is not how it works, and I don't think it does since I have other shows that are offered on more than one channel, have matching show/episode IDs, with different data sources that do not record more than once.

Technazz, can you see if the duplicates have different show IDs?

Yes that I see is different show ID for the same Episode on different channels on the same tuner.

Im using the XMLTV output from MT and ther is NO Epsidode data even in the original MT database that I can see.

Ive just removed these extra channels and tried to let Sage's internal EPG handle my Favorites for now.

rsagetv99 why are you using Zap2it xmltv output instead of Sages Internal EPG? Is this for channels that dont show up in you lineup?

Technazz
Old 04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yes that I see is different show ID for the same Episode on different channels on the same tuner.

Im using the XMLTV output from MT and ther is NO Epsidode data even in the original MT database that I can see.

Ive just removed these extra channels and tried to let Sage's internal EPG handle my Favorites for now.

rsagetv99 why are you using Zap2it xmltv output instead of Sages Internal EPG? Is this for channels that dont show up in you lineup?

Technazz
The main reason is because I could not get Sage to add a tuner more than once with both the internal EPG and XMLTV due to overlapping channels. Not sure what your setup is, but I only use the MT exporter to provide EPG data for the channels that are not provided by Zap2it. This way I can have the best of both worlds. It is still a work in progress trying to get Demedius' importer to emulate Sage's internal EPG, but I think we are very close. The showID is a biggie for me since I have been using Sage for a couple of years and have a lot of shows marked as watched in the internal database. Also I have the same problem you are having because for some reason the importer is generating a different showID for my other provider, even though each XMLTV file contains identical showIDs for the program.

A side benefit is that I have more control over the data. I like having the ability to manipulate the data via scripts if the need arises. For instance, before Demedius updated his importer I created a script to decorate the title of HD shows with "HD-.

All that being said, I am interested in finding out how yours is set up, maybe you figured out a way to do it. You can PM me if you like...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ould
Demideus,

I am attempting to get the HD title decoration working and where you say "You should use the xmltv channel id's here" I just want to clarify I am doing it write.

For example say my channel looks like so:

<channel id="I45521.labs.zap2it.com">
<display-name>841 MCHD</display-name>
<display-name>841 MCHD 0008999:X</display-name>
<display-name>841</display-name>
<display-name>MCHD</display-name>
<display-name>Movie Central HD</display-name>
<display-name>Canadian PAY</display-name>
</channel>

Is that correct? would I need the quotes around it too or no?

Thanks in advance, love the plugin!
The way I read the instructions and based on the way other things are setup I am pretty sure that the way you have it will work. Just put all of your HD channel IDs on the same line separated by commas, no quotes.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The way I read the instructions and based on the way other things are setup I am pretty sure that the way you have it will work. Just put all of your HD channel IDs on the same line separated by commas, no quotes.

Hmmm, I tried this and after updating this morning I am still not getting the "HD-" decoration added to my selected channels. Maybe someone who has used this feature successfully can chime in and help a brother out. I also tried with channel numbers unsuccessfully(i.e 801,802,803 etc etc).

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 04-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am having a couple of problems...

1) It seems to be appending part of the episode ID to the front of all episodes, regardless of the fact that I have these settings in the xmltv.properties file:
Quote:
episodename.add.episode.number=false
episodename.add.part.number=false
Is this set correctly??

2) Is it possible to have the original air date imported and displayed in the deatiled info view in sage. I think that is some of the most important info, and since I am having some trouble with marking 1st runs properly, this would make things MUCH easier, plus I think it is a nice touch to have in the guide.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Sage User

A dumb question??

Is it possible to append an indication of source to channel name to make it easy to determine which tuner is being selected? I've looked through the thread but can't see anything, I've tried in my 'channel mapping' file which I include in xmltv.properties (and xmltv 2)
eg.
channel.48.names=1-BBC News 24 {rather than BBC News 24}
channel.48.numbers=12

As it didn't work I assume the channel name comes from the epg data directly to the program guide???

BTW does anyone know how I can clear previous channel mappings from Sage, I tried removing and re installing the source, which didn't clear them.

Thanks

paulb
Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Sage User

Exclamation

The plugin has been updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Great news. So just to confirm, I CAN download the xmtlv file from an internet computer and simply transfer it from a disk or USB key to my SageTv unit?

The plugin, once properly installed, will take care of itself?
Confirmed.

Quote:
My SageTV pvr is running without a network partly because I don't want to put an antivirus
Bad move.
I would still put in an antivirus program, if only to test all accessed files on removable media and for monitoring the behaviour of running programs.

Quote:
Problem: Sage is looking for a network connection and I get an error message. Sage won't bypass the step and load the epgdata.xml file.

Is your plugin programmed to fire up the network connection? How can I disable that feature?
No, the plugin won't use the network connection. It is an offline process. With the possible exception of any process configured in the run.before property.

I remember Sage not functioning correctly when I blocked it with a firewall. It could be that Sage is calling home. It could also be some forgotten piece of code that still tries to connect to the Zap2it feed. I've since allowed Sage
access to the network.
I'm sorry but I don't think I can help you there...

Quote:
There seems to be two zip files for the plugin. Do I need both? I extracted both the the Sage directory.
No, you only need xmltvimportplugin.zip. The other file (xmltvimportplugin-project.zip) contains the source code. It is there so that anyone can tweak this version for their own use or branch off a new plugin. It also means that other plugin writers can borrow code and ideas that they can use in their own project. Just like I have borrowed code and ideas from Nielm's and Koeli's plugins.

Quote:
I assume I am to put the plugin in the c:\program files\sage\sage directory.
I'm assuming that you mean the C:\Program Files\Sage\SageTV directory. If not I should install Sage on a test system just to verify the proper pathnames. I've already updated the installation steps with a reference to both possible directories.

To answer your question: Yes you need to unzip xmltvimportplugin.zip in that directory. This should result in four .class files in the C:\Program Files\Sage\SageTV\xmltv directory.

Quote:
You're saying I don't even need it??
Sigh...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I am presently using this plugin but I am just curious if there is a way to tell the plugin when it should update. i.e. Could I set it to update at like 4am or something like that? Or is it random as to when it updates?
Sage will start the plugin every 24 hours. A start can be forced by disabling and then re-enabling a channel in Sage's setup menu. The next start will then be 24 hours after that.

Quote:
I am just curious as ideally I would like to schedule it so it doesn't try and update while I am watching/recording something.
The plugin will not update program data for shows that have already started. It is therefore not necessary to time the update around your recordings.

Quote:
I have tried to put the batch file in the xmltv.properties file using run.before=myfile.bat and it appears that it tries to run the file but it's like it does not give it time to finish and just continues with EPG update
before my batch finishes,
It could be that the batchfile finishes before the processes that are started by it are finished. Try putting start "EPG update" /wait before any windows process and call before any batchfile that is started in that batchfile. Do the same for any batchfile that is called. This should keep the batchfile waiting for any process to finish before continuing.

The plugin used to simply wait for the process's output streams to be closed. I've now added a wait for the process itself to be finished just to be safe. I doubt that that will help you, but some processes could be helped by it.

Quote:
I am almost at the end of my trial period witch Sage and want to have my setup working before I plunk down a substantial amount of money for it.
I'm sure that Sage will extend your trial period if you ask them.
Considering that you do not need to pay for upgrades I think the pricing should not be a problem. You'll spend a lot more on hardware...

Quote:
Or as I mentioned a field in the properties file EPG Update=4:00am or whatever. That would be nice!!
I've added a timeslot property. It is not quite what you asked for, since it simply pauses the update until the timeslot is reached, but the effect should be similar.

Putting that thread to sleep during an update could lead to stability problems. But with my own system everything seems to keep on running. Let me know if you experience any trouble because of this. If so, I'll make it an 'undocumented' feature...

Quote:

Is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
would I need the quotes around it too or no?
No, the quotes are required by the xml file format, not by the properties file format.

Quote:
Hmmm, I tried this and after updating this morning I am still not getting the "HD-" decoration added to my selected channels. Maybe someone who has used this feature successfully can chime in and help a brother out. I also tried with channel numbers unsuccessfully(i.e 801,802,803 etc etc).
If your xmltv feed does not specify a show to be in HD in the <quality> element, the show will not be marked HD in the guide.

The channels specify only the channels that are capable of recording HD content. That is, the channel is able to send HD and the corresponding capture card is able to record HD. Since not all HD channels transmit in HD quality all the time the xmltv feed is used to determine if the show is actually transmitted in HD.

If you simply want to add HD to all shows on a channel, we can probably come up with an option for that...
Let me know what you decide...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Actually, what I was looking for here, was to get the "full" date back in the show details, not in the title, sorry if I explained it wrong.
Ok, I didn't realise that the full date would have come through into the year field.

I've added yet another setting date.year.decoration so you can control what is put into Sage's year field if a full date is present. Again you can set this to {0,date,yyyyMMdd} to revert to the old situation.

Don't wory too much about miscommunication. It seems to be inevitable between users and developers.

Quote:
Demedius, can you check the above link, I posted info there about a problem with the show ID element. Basically I would like to request the option of passing the episode-num to Sage as the showID instead of the your method of generating a unique ID. Following is the syntax of the element in my XMLTV source (Zap2it)

Quote:
<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP808403.0006</episode-num>
Done.

Since this is very specific I will not make this configurable (until someone asks me to do that).
Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marneb
I tried setting up a custom color in the new "help menu" and it works if I put in "Gaunerkomödie" but not for "Spielfilm". Is there a way for me to change the ordering?
Yes. If you add the following line to your xmltv.properties that specific combination will be switched:

translate.category.Gaunerkomödie/Spielfilm=Spielfilm/Gaunerkomödie

However if you simply add the following line to the properties:

translate.category.Spielfilm=Movie

The plugin will automatically use that category as the primary category. The plugin does this for all known colored categories.

Also, the plugin will generate the showid differently for shows with the Movie category.