SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM

PC -> TV Video Card Suggestions

I have a Sony Wega 42" HD TV. It accepts any of these video inputs: DVI, S-Video, RF, Component, & Composite. My PC is running XP Pro. I have not chosen a video card yet.

I would like to know the answer to two questions. First, knowing all the inputs on my TV, which input would get the best picture quality from a PC to an HD TV? Second, what video card would be best for this setup?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Well I temporarily hooked up my GeForce4 video card to my TV. First I tried the S-Video in different resolutions and it was overall blurry. Then I hooked up the DVI cable and at first it didn't look to good. But then I played around with the NView software that comes with the card. NView has tons of functions in it designed specifically TV hookups. When I was done, the picture on my TV was near monitor quality. The desktop fit perfectly to the edges of my screen and the software even detected that I plugged it into a Sony TV.

So I've considered that NVidia is the way to go, mainly for their free software. The only problem was that I bought a MiniATX motherboard with a small form factor case (not knowing that you can't fit standard sized PCI cards in it). I searched the web for hours for a new case that would be nearly as small but couldn't find anything with the proper PCI card height. I eventually came across the NVidia Quadro NVS series cards. These cards are designed specifically for DVI as DVI is the only video out port on the card and they come in small form factor size and they use the NView software.

So I think I'm set.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Use the DVI or Component inputs if at all possible.

Once you change from component video and "smush" the signals to Video or S-video there is a huge amount of picture degredation. Especially on a larger screen where the fuzzyness is magnified and easier to see. On a 19" or 22" TV the poor signal quality may not be as noticable.